Sign in to follow this  
V1ROTA7E

Another Rolling Cache Question...sorry

I've been enjoying the MSFS Scenery Enhancement Tool with the updated Bing graphics. I elected to enable Photogrammetry again...even if it does hurt performance a tad.

My question is, would there be any benefit to running with rolling cache enabled (in the sim, *not the tool*), while using the Enhancement tool. Since the Photogrammetry still comes from ASOBO/Blackshark, would that be the only data stored? I'd imagine it'd be a bit quicker to load, and maybe since the PG wouldn't be streaming, it may lead to slightly better performance. Not sure if anyone has tried this.

AMD 7950X3D | 64 GB RAM | RTX 4090

B737 Pilot

I've been using the Enhancer since it was released and have tried various combinations over the months.

I think the Enhancer instructions say that it's OK to use the FS rolling cache, providing you clear it if you switch map provider (from Bing, to Google or Apple etc.).

As the Enhancer modifies your hosts file, I think all *tiles* are pulled from the designated provider, leaving the MSFS cache to do just the PG. Just my guess.

I always have PG enabled and run the Enhancer along with a fairly moderate MSFS cache (16GB). I do get the occasional CTD, but I put that down to some experimental setting I've been trying in Enhancer. Once both caches have been cleared, all returns to normal.

In general, I think the Enhancer (Pro) is a great tool - my only reservation is that different [geographical] areas often require different map providers for best results. There doesn't seem to be a definitive chart for this, so it's largely trial and error. I tend to fly in one area as much as I can (as I also have Reshade tweaks that match each).

• Like 1

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

Thanks for that. Looking at my MSFS data usage, I wonder if MSFS translates the tiles used by the tool to data used, and turning the cache on makes it save the tiles as well, making them save twice. Not sure. I'll try it out and see if there's any difference in performance.

AMD 7950X3D | 64 GB RAM | RTX 4090

B737 Pilot

13 minutes ago, V1ROTA7E said:

Thanks for that. Looking at my MSFS data usage, I wonder if MSFS translates the tiles used by the tool to data used, and turning the cache on makes it save the tiles as well, making them save twice. Not sure. I'll try it out and see if there's any difference in performance.

I'm not entirely sure whether they're "duplicated" (ie. exist in both caches). It may be worth asking Derekhe (the dev). Either way, I don't think I've noticed any significant gains.

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png