Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Valve Releases Free Streaming Software for Quest 2, 3, & Pro

Seems to be a free equivalent from Valve/Steam of Virtual Desktop. Should be interesting trying this…

Steam :: Steam News :: New: Play Steam VR games on Meta Quest 2, 3, and Pro

We’re excited to announce the streaming technology of Steam Link is now available on the Meta Quest 2, 3, and Pro, allowing you to wirelessly play VR games from your Steam library.

Steam Link is a free app that uses the power of your PC to stream Steam games onto phones, tablets, and TVs — and now, on Meta Quest.

Before you begin: You’ll need a router with a wired connection to your PC, and a 5GHz WiFi network for your headset.

Getting started

• Make sure Steam and SteamVR are installed and running on your PC

• Note: You may need to restart Steam to confirm you are running the latest version of Steam and SteamVR
  • Connect your headset to the same network as your PC

• Download the free Steam Link app to your headset.

• The app will walk you through wirelessly connecting your computer to your headset.

Minimum requirements

Before you connect, make sure you have:

• Wi-Fi: 5 GHz minimum, wired connection to PC

• GPUs: NVIDIA (GTX970 or better)

• Headset: Meta Quest 2, 3, or Pro

Recommended (but not required): A broadband internet connection with Wi-Fi 6 or Wi-Fi 6E, and a computer with at least 16 GB RAM and NVIDIA GPU, RTX2070 or better.

Read more (along with step-by-step instructions) in our Steam Link FAQs.

For additional information check out Steam Link and Remote Play.

• Like 3

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

How are you getting into a virtual cockpit with Steam Link VR? 

After I connect to Steam Link and start MSFS in desktop mode when I CTRL-TAB I get a message Headset not detected. 

MSFS works perfectly with Virtual Desktop and OpenXR (VDXR) 

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

8 hours ago, OmniAtlas said:

How are you getting into a virtual cockpit with Steam Link VR? 

After I connect to Steam Link and start MSFS in desktop mode when I CTRL-TAB I get a message Headset not detected. 

MSFS works perfectly with Virtual Desktop and OpenXR (VDXR) 

SteamVR settings/OpenXR/Manage Openxr API Layers/Set Steam as default

CTRL-TAB

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Devons rig

Hi assume if you bought MSFS through Microsoft and not steam this won’t work? Or is there a Work around  as be nice to do away with  my cable 😎?

cheers 

Edited by Bozdog

3080rtx  on a i7 12700k with 32 Gig ddr5. 2gig Ssd

Quest 2

Windows 11

47 minutes ago, Bozdog said:

Hi assume if you bought MSFS through Microsoft and not steam this won’t work? Or is there a Work around  as be nice to do away with  my cable 😎?

cheers 

Works with Steam or MS versions

Devons rig

Thanks will instal then and have a go just all the adverts I saw for it said “play any game in your stream library…..” 

is it easy to set up ?   Cheers

Quest 2

Windows 11

1 hour ago, Bozdog said:

Thanks will instal then and have a go just all the adverts I saw for it said “play any game in your stream library…..” 

is it easy to set up ?   Cheers

This guy fiddles around quite a bit, but in an informative way. I found that leaving most or all settings at auto also gets good results as well.....

Edited by HiFlyer
  • Upvote 2

Devons rig

• Like 1

Devons rig

I have just done a 45 minute flight in the A2A Comanche,  performance was fine and great not to have the  use the link cable .  Oculus link was always very poor and I always used the link cable.

At the end of the flight though, shut the aircraft down, log book came up and recorded, but when iI clicked go back to main menu steam vr crashed and msfs ctd.

Using cable  performance can sometimes be very laggy, sometimes perfect, so far steam vr has always been consistently good, using auto settings

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Quest 2

Windows 11

Couple more flights done,  no crashes and VERY smooth,  in fact its been more stable than using the link cable !!!!!!

Be nice to get the graphics a little sharper outside the cockpit  but I guess that's a Quest 3 !

Only downside is have to charge my battery in the headset ,  with the link cable never seemed to go flat,

For free this software is excellent  I am flying across New Zealand and it looks great 

Edited by Bozdog
  • Like 2

Quest 2

Windows 11