Sign in to follow this  
Jazz

Activation Issues

I'm furious at the moment and could use to advice.

Today, I decided to install Windows 11 and was told that my W10 pro retail key would activate W11 without issue. So I went ahead and installed it only to see that it had not activated. After some head scratching I got Microsoft to call me and after 20 mins of time wasting and drivel I was told that my key had reached its limit and expired. My boxed retail version from Amazon. This shouldn't be the case. The guy on the phone told me to contact Amazon as it's their problem but I know it isn't.

Currently, I have an unactivated version of W11 Pro on my machine that is useless to me and as the key has "expired" he told me I couldn't install W10 anymore either. So I have been robbed, there is no other way to put. It's extortion as far as I can tell.

What do I do to resolve this nightmare?

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

I thought you had a rollback option that was available but its only available for a few days after upgrading.

you can get legit keys for about $20 a lot off tech Youtubers have discount codes from sponsors at the start of the vids I got 2 keys about 2 years ago and they work no problem

Jason Richards

35 minutes ago, jason74 said:

I thought you had a rollback option that was available but its only available for a few days after upgrading.

you can get legit keys for about $20 a lot off tech Youtubers have discount codes from sponsors at the start of the vids I got 2 keys about 2 years ago and they work no problem

There is no rollback because it was a fresh install.

The story gets better anyway. Because I got them to call me again and I demanded to speak to a supervisor and after an hour he confirmed that my key was legitimate and he would transfer me to the tech department that would then activate my windows. Then the call hung up.

SO, again, I went through it..... AGAIN. This time the chap said my key had been confirmed and needed tech support to activate it and that THIS time he would stay on the line until they answered.....half hour later....I get hung up on again.

SO AGAIN, I go to get them to call me but this time, the system had the CHEEK to say that I had "EXCEEDED MY CALLS FOR THE DAY AND WOULD HAVE TO TRY AGAIN IN 24 HOURS"...I'm in awe at this point. AWE.

DESPICABLE.

I have never been treated with such utter contempt by a company in all my life. They remove your ability to contact them directly and then hang up on you until you reach an arbitrary limit they have imposed so that they can then use that limit to avoid you and what you paid them for.

Absolute THIEVES.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

@Jazz, according to this site you can reactivate the Windows 10 key up to 10 times.

https://softkeys.uk/blogs/blog/how-many-times-can-you-use-a-windows-10-key#:~:text=When you purchase Windows 10,key up to 10 times.

Have you uninstalled and reinstalled Windows more than that number of times?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@Jazz, according to this site you can reactivate the Windows 10 key up to 10 times.

https://softkeys.uk/blogs/blog/how-many-times-can-you-use-a-windows-10-key#:~:text=When you purchase Windows 10,key up to 10 times.

Have you uninstalled and reinstalled Windows more than that number of times?

Not even remotely close, Ray.

Even by their own admission tonight they said that my key is perfectly valid but everytime they sent my call to tech support to activate it they cut me off.

And to then lock me out of any more support for 24 hours to put right their mistakes, well, I'm not happy camping, I'll put it that way.

It feels like a hi-jack racket. Because that is what it is.

Sorry to hear this Jazz. Have they outsourced support to another country? It sounds very un-Microsoft like.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I should add I had a desktop and laptop both with Windows 10 Pro and took up the offer last weekend to update to 11.

Both went okay but are OEM licences of course. It’s hard to understand why this has happened to you but I’d certainly persevere and ask to speak to a senior official when you next get through. It’s Microsoft’s responsibility, not Amazon’s. What cheek!

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Just now, Ray Proudfoot said:

Sorry to hear this Jazz. Have they outsourced support to another country? It sounds very un-Microsoft like.

Of course, no prizes for guessing where that is.

Honestly, I'm in awe of the experience. I have been a dedicated customer of Microsoft since DAY 1 and to be treated like this today has me honestly considering dumping this hobby on principle, so insulted by it that I am.

2 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I should add I had a desktop and laptop both with Windows 10 Pro and took up the offer last weekend to update to 11.

Both went okay but are OEM licences of course. It’s hard to understand why this has happened to you but I’d certainly persevere and ask to speak to a senior official when you next get through. It’s Microsoft’s responsibility, not Amazon’s. What cheek!

Thing is, I have searched and searched and there is no way to contact them. I did find a number but the number directs you to the online no help service that blocks you from getting any more customer service when they feel they have had enough of you. Beyond contempt. Beyond. They won't even let you pay for the phone call to get what your owed.

India I’m guessing. My broadband / email support by British Telecom was hived off to India several years ago and understanding the accent was extremely difficult.

Eventually BT brought support back to the UK due to the number of complaints. Microsoft need to reconsider this decision. It’s not doing the reputation of the company any good.

Good luck, I hope you get a resolution soon.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

You got it and thanks but I'm locked out of customer service until at least 8pm tomorrow which really means sunday morning at the earliest and I have absolutely no faith at all they will resolve this even though they admit my key is valid because they simply are unwilling or incapable of directing me to the channel that will reactivate my paid for product key.

Either this is company policy hiding behind known incompetence or it's just incompetence but one thing is for sure, not only can I not afford a new key, I sure as hell am not paying them for it.

@Jazz, try email and gives details of the issues you’ve had. At least there’s a record of your complaint. No lockout with email too. 👍

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@Jazz, try email and gives details of the issues you’ve had. At least there’s a record of your complaint. No lockout with email too. 👍

I've been unable to find an email address to deal with the issue, Ray.

6 minutes ago, Jazz said:

I've been unable to find an email address to deal with the issue, Ray.

There's the generic one support@microsoft.co.uk.

Can I email Microsoft UK?

If you need to follow up with Microsoft Support UK, you can do so by sending an email to support@microsoft.co.uk. You should include your support case number, as well as a detailed description of your issue. Alternatively, you can call Microsoft's UK support line on 0800 587 1102.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

29 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

There's the generic one support@microsoft.co.uk.

Can I email Microsoft UK?

If you need to follow up with Microsoft Support UK, you can do so by sending an email to support@microsoft.co.uk. You should include your support case number, as well as a detailed description of your issue. Alternatively, you can call Microsoft's UK support line on 0800 587 1102.

Where on earth did you find that number, Ray? I spent 2 hours last night looking and only found one which was automated telling me support was online and directing me to the same misery I was already experiencing. I felt as though I was in quicksand.

I'll call them first thing tomorrow morning. I'm so dejected after yesterday I just haven't got it in me to try to deal with them today.

Thank you ever so much.