Sign in to follow this  
soaring_penguin

DX10 preview : Sebby's blog

Hello, I know I promised to make some comparative screenshots between DX9 and DX10. The truth is, it is too difficult to make them : first off all, to switch between DX9 and DX10, you need to restart the sim. Ok, not really an excuse, but a pain in the ***.Second, the biggest and only difference is that you can now turn on bloom without too much of a performance hit. There is really not so much difference between DX9 bloom and DX10 bloom, except for the framerates.Have a look at this blog from ACES : http://www.sebbylive.com/post/2007/10/FSX-...s-DX10-HDR.aspxThird, like many others, I do have a penalty when I turn DX10 on, not much, and it is difficult to measure, but it is there (around 1 or 2 FPS less when in DX10 mode). This is off course with bloom on and water on high, so at least that is a winner. I lost 50% of my FPS in DX9 with bloom on.If you dig deeper in Sebbys blog, you will find explained what made it in the FSX DX10 preview, what did not, and important, why it didn't.And last excuse, I am really not good at taking screenshots.Aces say that the current problems with DX10 preview are driver related. I hope they are right, and that we get the 20% gain Phil was talking about ( I did not use the word promised on purpose. He did not promise anything at the time, only made an observation ), and that the flickering runway textures get solved.But me, I am having a blast with the Acceleration pack and DX10.And that is the most important.Jan

Guest bigean

Hi Jan, at least a report. That's a starter ;-) THX.You said only advantage in perf is bloom. How about water 2.x, are DX9 and DX10 exactly the same fps with those 2.x settings???Next question: IF water goes higher in DX10 without penalty, do we see a difference in wet runways (something interesting even for continental people)? Try to make a shot with a wet runway half against the sun and some clouds in DX10 Water 2.x high. Then make the same shot with 2.x low. Is there a difference?Result would be: A. No difference, we can set 2.x low and enjoy better fps in DX10, or B. Difference, we can set better water in DX10 with same fps than DX9, or C: no difference, same fps than DX9.Generally you don't have to switch between DX9 and 10 all the time. Switch off bloom in DX10 and see the visual difference. I'd be glad to see them, I have no way to do that on my own :-(Thanks! Bigean

DX10 Preview ?, thats a bunch of crap, there are alot of folks that put money into new systems or video cards expecting to have DX10 when the Acceleration pack came out, now all we get is a preview ?, and to top it off that doesn't work. We should have been told we were only getting a DX10 "preview" instead of actually DX10. Anyway, if the DX10 previews problems are Nvidia driver related whats the latest news on getting new/better drivers for FSX and the so-called DX10 preview ?, if we get FSX optimizzed drivers that make FSX work as it should that would be at least something for us to be happy about.

No offense, but if this is driver related, NVIDIA is the only one who can solve it, not Microsoft or ACEs. So I made a bug report to NVIDIA. Did you ? If there are enough people reporting this, maybe they will have a look at it. There are much more guys out there playing with Crysis and Bioshock then FSX, so we need to raise our voice.And for one I am happy with the performance boost, at least I can now run with Bloom on and water on high all the time. This makes a huge difference for me. Maybe not for everybody. However they called it, it is using the DX10 code path and it is using my 8800GTS much better. It works, that is the most important. The rest I don't care, I just enjoy the game. Jan