Sign in to follow this  
Gypsy Baron

Boeing F18 Airplane landings arent being recorded?

Guest itsnotme

I was doing the carrier missions and crashed a few times before finishing the 5 carrier traps mission. I was looking through my flight records and noticed that my hours are being recorded but not the landings? I was wondering if this was because I've only done landings on the carrier not at an airport? Is this a bug?I'll probably try landing the plane at another airport and see if it records the landing there later today. Was just wondering if other people had noticed this? I've got tons of hours in the airplane but apparently it says I've never landed the plane!

Guest SkyDrift

I'd need to double check, but I believe this is by design. The carrier is not recognized as an airport - i.e. it does not have an ID such as "KSEA". It's just as if you landed somewhere in a field - this will not be recorded as a landing either. But please feel free to correct me - I'm going off my memory which is known to be unreliable at times :-)- regards, SkyDrift

Guest itsnotme

>I'd need to double check, but I believe this is by design.>The carrier is not recognized as an airport - i.e. it does not>have an ID such as "KSEA". It's just as if you landed>somewhere in a field - this will not be recorded as a landing>either. But please feel free to correct me - I'm going off my>memory which is known to be unreliable at times :-)>- regards, SkyDriftYou're right. I flew from Edmonds out to Miramar and it recorded that landing in the F18. I kind of disagree with the design if that was really intended, since you can't record how many times you've successfully landed on the carrier. It should have an ID since it should be considered an airport after all it's got a landing strip doesn't it?The carrier isn't there in free flight, or I couldn't find it so I couldn't test whether it just wasn't counting landings in the mission or if it indeed doesn't count carrier landings.

>The carrier isn't there in free flight, or I couldn't find it>so I couldn't test whether it just wasn't counting landings in>the mission or if it indeed doesn't count carrier landings.Er, yes they (all the Mission Carriers) are available in Free Flight. This has been mentioned a few times over the past weeks...In fact, the video linked by the other post tells you when and where to find that carrier... Norfolk, Virginia 12:30 Friday afternoon.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PetpmIkAYcc

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest itsnotme

>>The carrier isn't there in free flight, or I couldn't find>it>>so I couldn't test whether it just wasn't counting landings>in>>the mission or if it indeed doesn't count carrier landings.>>Er, yes they (all the Mission Carriers) are available>in Free Flight. This has been mentioned a few times over the>past weeks...>>In fact, the video linked by the other post tells you>when and where to find that carrier... Norfolk, Virginia 12:30>Friday afternoon.>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PetpmIkAYccI was actually referring to them not being in the airport database. You're right that there's some out there. I actually downloaded the aicarriers2 addon and dropped a carrier out nearby and used that to do a few traps.I haven't done any traps on the default carriers because I haven't really set the time right and found the default carriers yet so I can't say if it records the landings on those, but if you use the aicarriers2 addon it will record the landings on those carriers. I need to find one of the default carriers and try landing on that and see if it records the landing on that.If it does record the landings on the default carriers then I guess it might be a bug in the mission itself.

>I haven't done any traps on the default carriers because I>haven't really set the time right and found the default>carriers yet so I can't say if it records the landings on>those, but if you use the aicarriers2 addon it will record the>landings on those carriers. I need to find one of the default>carriers and try landing on that and see if it records the>landing on that.>>If it does record the landings on the default carriers then I>guess it might be a bug in the mission itself.Since the "carriers" placed by aicarriers2 are the same "carriers," then the landings will be recorded...Alternatively, the lack of recording landings in a mission might simply be by deliberate design... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest IanK

Hi,I like the modelling of the oleos but is it legal(in RL) to land on a carrier which is stationary with no head wind. This is why a/c take-off at sea and go to their land base to wait for the carrier to return to sea and be recovered while steaming at about 30kn. That would knock 30 off the ground speed and land you at about 110 kn if doing 140KIAS which will reduce the crash rate which statistically increases at a cube power of the touch down speed. Did the original poster complain of too many crashes?I an looking forwards to the VRSimulations F/A-18E/F:-)

Guest fsxmissionguy

IANK,I am able to trap the stationary carrier at that location with relative ease, despite lack of headwind.If you prefer a moving carrier, move the time forward to after sunset and search offshore a bit for a lit runway.Heh.Cheers,Kevin

Guest itsnotme

>Hi,>I like the modelling of the oleos but is it legal(in RL) to>land on a carrier which is stationary with no head wind. This>is why a/c take-off at sea and go to their land base to wait>for the carrier to return to sea and be recovered while>steaming at about 30kn. That would knock 30 off the ground>speed and land you at about 110 kn if doing 140KIAS which will>reduce the crash rate which statistically increases at a cube>power of the touch down speed. Did the original poster>complain of too many crashes?>>I an looking forwards to the VRSimulations F/A-18E/F>:-)>>Actually no I wasn't complaining about too many crashes, I'm just a bit rusty and kept falling a bit too short and would smack right into the lip. I still have nasty habit of grabbing the 1 wire, altho I'm not sure if it can detect the difference between the 1 wire and the other wires since I always see it say 1 wire.

>IANK,>>I am able to trap the stationary carrier at that location with>relative ease, despite lack of headwind.>>If you prefer a moving carrier, move the time forward to after>sunset and search offshore a bit for a lit runway.>>Heh.>>Cheers,>KevinOr better yet, download aicarriers2r2.zip from the library here andhave moving carriers anywhere you are when over water.After selecting the type of fleet to place from the menu system, besure to go back into the menu system and select "Forward" to actuallystart the fleets moving.As to landings being recorded, they are recorded but no airfield entry is made, AIR, but I think you need to land back at a regularairfield after your CVN practice for them to show as "landings" in the logbook. Barring that, just use one of the handy logbook editors to adjustthe entry as needed. I did see an entry in the logbook for eachof my mission "tutorial" flights as well as my freeflight sortiein the F-18. Paul

Wide-5.jpg