Sign in to follow this  
Ken Hall

Altitude 'errors'...

@FLSievert, no, that indicates a problem with the weather. Do you have a 3rd party weather program?

If you don't set your pressure correctly at the airport your altitude won't be correct until above the TA.

I would urge you to buy AS16 which will inject correct weather into FSX. You could also add ASCA which will give you very good clouds with little performance hit.

https://hifisimtech.com/as16/#buynow

@Ken Hall, time to get that credit card out. With GoFlight kit you could also buy GIT from Pollypot and get your MCP working with either their 737 or 777.

Finally, it's nice to see some discussion in this forum. :smile:. I'm currently enroute from Brisbane to Sydney having got fed up with the appalling gloomy Europe weather.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

20 hours ago, FLSievert said:

I've also been struggling with maintaining the assigned altitude above and below the TA. I noticed that when on the ground before asking for clearance, the weather briefing tells me QNH zero, zero, zero. Is that normal? I'm running on FSX-SE. I'll probably test it out with FSXWX to see if proper weather conditions will help the QNH values.

No. Not at all. It means that either there is no weather available (unlikely) or more likely that you have activated RC4 before the sim. has fully started and you are seated in an active cockpit. Rc4 has to have weather to "read" before it can give you instructions.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

Good morning, Ray...

I did purchase the PolyPot software but could not get my head round it 🥵.

I was/am not alone judging from the comments on their web/forum pages.

Posts direct to the author have produced absolutely NO response at all.

I did, however, manage to make all nine of my GF-modules fully functional using a mixture of the original GF-software and P3D/Options.

I did put my toe-in-the-water of XP12 but GF alluded me. Plus, the inability to port-out various 'windows'.

Approaching age 85 I have decided that my fully functional P3Dv5 plus all of my current add-ons ASP3D, ASCA, RC4, LNM, Honeycomb A&B, GFx9 with 3-screens is all I require for a very satisfyling FS pass-time - notwithstanding the occasionbal 'glitch' 😎.

Thanks for your input 😉.

Ken H.

Old enough to know better...
...young enough to do most of it again!

System: Chillblast (Matt Davies designed) Intel i5-6600 Sklylake CPU O/C to 4.4 GHz; Liquid Cooled; Asus Z170 PRO GAMING MoBo; MSI GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb; 16Gb Corsair Crucial DDR4 RAM; SSD plus SSHD drives; Windows-10.
GF MCP-Pro and EFIS + 8 other GF Modules, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo units, Saitek Pedals, Iiyama 19" x 2, 40" smart TV.

Hi Ken,

I agree that the Pollypot software is not straight forward but no powerful software ever is. There's always a learning curve. I've finally got to grips with it. Agreed about the author though. He hasn't visited his forum or here at AvSim since before Christmas. I'm wondering if he's okay.

Carry on enjoying RC4 and simming. I hope I have your dedication to it when I reach 85. :smile:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

8 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

No. Not at all. It means that either there is no weather available (unlikely) or more likely that you have activated RC4 before the sim. has fully started and you are seated in an active cockpit. Rc4 has to have weather to "read" before it can give you instructions.

I attempted a flight just now. Put the flight plan in RC4 but didn't run it yet. At the same time I booted up my FSXWX and put my departure and arrival airports. Once I loaded the sim I checked the ATIS information on the default ATC and it read 29.91 which tells me that the weather engine is working. (I usually fly with fair weather which makes me use 29.92 on every flight). At this point, knowing that all systems are working, I run RC4 and see that the display on FSX pops up and is running properly. I press 2 in order to listen to its weather briefing and here is what it had to say: 

"Romeo Papa Victor Mike local ATIS information Papa. Winds calm, visibility 0, sky clear, temperature 0, dew point 0, QNH 000, landing and departing runway 04, advise delivery you have information Papa."

There clearly is a problem with it being able to read weather values. This was also present before I installed FSXWX. I kind of hoped that the weather engine would be my fix.

Have you set a path in the RC4 initial screen under the FLT/WX path button?

Is your weather program sending files to the Documents\Prepar3d folder?

This is a tricky one as I don't know FSXWX at all. But we will get there!!

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

@FLSievert, does FSXWX allow you to enter an ICAO and see the weather info for that airport?

Instead of the Philippines try Manchester, England. Type EGCC and tell me what the temp and pressure is please.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Just a further thought. On the Controller inf screen, is the wx info (weather info) box ticked and is it showing a frequency?

18 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

Have you set a path in the RC4 initial screen under the FLT/WX path button?

Is your weather program sending files to the Documents\Prepar3d folder?

This is a tricky one as I don't know FSXWX at all. But we will get there!!

I have not set a path for the FLT/WX, where should I route it to? And yes, the wx info is boxed (128.17Mhz). Thank you for the help!

16 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@FLSievert, does FSXWX allow you to enter an ICAO and see the weather info for that airport?

Instead of the Philippines try Manchester, England. Type EGCC and tell me what the temp and pressure is please.

As far as I'm concerned it doesn't provide much weather info. It just injects them into the game. Tried at Manchester and the problem remained. Changed into a C172 just to see if anything would change to no avail. 

I love how easy it is to reply and navigate through the forum, very easy to understand.

1 hour ago, FLSievert said:

As far as I'm concerned it doesn't provide much weather info. It just injects them into the game. Tried at Manchester and the problem remained. Changed into a C172 just to see if anything would change to no avail. 

I love how easy it is to reply and navigate through the forum, very easy to understand.

Without runnng RC4 you should be able to see the injected weather in P3D. From the menu select World - Weather. At the top select Weather Conditions and see what options you have. I have an ActiveSky Weather Theme which takes the weather from Active Sky. Do you have a custom one for your weather program? Look under Custom. All the others are prebuilt by P3D.

You have tabs for Clouds, Wind, Temp/Pressure and Visibility.

Click on each and see if what is injected is realistic. Try somewhere cold and then hot. Radar Contact just reads what in P3D. If your program isn't injecting it then it's garbage in / garbage out.

It might be worth buying Active Sky. It's a quality program and is guaranteed to work with P3D and RC4.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hey Ray,

Would like to remind you that I am using FSX:SE. I actually almost bought Active Sky on steam. The literal day before I attempted to buy it, they pulled it out of the shop. 

3 minutes ago, FLSievert said:

Hey Ray,

Would like to remind you that I am using FSX:SE. I actually almost bought Active Sky on steam. The literal day before I attempted to buy it, they pulled it out of the shop. 

Sorry, forgot that. But you should still have the weather dialogue box. Active Sky is compatible with FSX:SE.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

20 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Sorry, forgot that. But you should still have the weather dialogue box. Active Sky is compatible with FSX:SE.

I also don't have Active Sky haha. Solely running FSX:SE with FSXWX.

26 minutes ago, FLSievert said:

Sorry then, I cannot help further, I don't have FSXWX, and FSX.SE is so old, I have forgotten all I once knew. 😔

1 hour ago, FLSievert said:

I know you don’t. That’s why I recommended it to you. I’m afraid I can’t help anymore as I have no concept of FSXWX.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather