Sign in to follow this  
Lord Farringdon

Which simconnect software should I invest in?

Hi Guys. First topic post on this particular forum so go easy 🙂

I wont give you my life story except to say I have have dabbled in the various parts of creating a home cockpit for as long as I can remember. I am now retired and so while money is always an issue, time is at least on my side (sort of).  

I am taking baby steps a the moment while I assemble the tools and necessary knowledge so that I can feel confident about fully committing to this project with some understanding of my strengths, weaknesses and what I can't avoid having to paying for.

One of the things I know I am going to need early on for testing is simconnect software but which one?

FSUIPC7, Axis+Ohs, SPAD,Next, LINDA. Are there any others? 

I have asked some other forum members with one user saying he runs a couple of these but they weren't for any particularly useful reason but rather the online components he bought, required those specific software's to connect.

So, I accept that at some point I am going to end up with multiple simconnect software's and I think FSUIPC7 and maybe SPAD.Next look like the probable candidates based on some of the products I have seen where these are specified as being required.  But, outside of the compulsory install to make a bought item work, what does anyone think is the best of these software's to be the primary simconnect for a home built cockpit. I mean, I have heard some good things about Axis+Ohs...and some bad things, in particular it offers a lot of capability but at the same time is difficult to learn. I don't want to have to learn every bit of software, so if some just have to be installed to make some purchased item work then great but I am prepared to purchase and learn in depth the product that will see me through the whole project.

I know there is probably no real answer to this (how long is piece of string?) but your expert thoughts and individual preferences on this would be most appreciated.  Oh, and this is for a B737 sim. 

Edit:  I also suspect the type of hardware to be used may determine what simconnect software is required, is that right? For example, I note on A+O that Ardunio requires some sort of bridging software and I guess Mobiflight and Leo Bodner require different software too? I'm not sure what hardware I'm going to use at this point so pointers in that direction would really helpful too.    

Cheers

Terry

Edited by Lord Farringdon
Added extra paragraph at bottom

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

Take a look at www.flightsim4fun.com

to get some inspiration to build your B737 based on Opencockpits modules and Oi4FS software.

Edited by nas123

22 hours ago, nas123 said:

Take a look at www.flightsim4fun.com

to get some inspiration to build your B737 based on Opencockpits modules and Oi4FS software.

Thanks @nas123. Yep, that's what I hope this thing will look like. The vids confirm it can be done. I just have to do it now LOL!! 

I also noted the Opencockpits resources as well. Thanks for that! 👍 

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.