Sign in to follow this  
TheFamilyMan

SU14 and using Reprojection Mode

I was experimenting with MSFS settings that I haven't used recently and found that "Reprojection Mode" in the VR graphics setting seems to no longer produce jiggly artifacts like it use to pre-SU14, IIRC, though now on the slight occasion they'll occur on the periphery.  Apparently this setting does not enable Motion Reprojection (as discussed below), but it does add smoothness when "looking around", i.e. panning with your head when wearing your HMD.  From my experience it's still not always perfectly smooth, but it's definitely better than not using the setting.

Here's some background info on what MSFS's "Reprojection Mode" does.   This info is culled from this post made by mbucchia, the author of the OpenXR Toolkit.

• “Reprojection mode” in MSFS currently does not relate to Motion Reprojection at all and submitting depth has no impact on Motion Reprojection with Windows Mixed Reality (and probably all other vendors too)
  • The other form of reprojection, that I called Spatial Reprojection in my other post, is always on regardless of any setting. That form of reprojection is only useful for compensating movements of the headset, and it does not account for motion in the scene (which is what Motion Reprojection does)
  • Your headset is always generating frames when you don’t hit frame rate, either through the use of Spatial Reprojection alone, or through a combination of Spatial and Motion Reprojection together (when enabled)
  • Without Motion Reprojection, your head movements will still feel smooth at a lower frame rate thanks to the always-on Spatial Reprojection, but the overall scene still looks juddery. With Motion Reprojection, both head movements and scene motion are propagated in the future, creating a truly smooth experience.
  • The “Reprojection mode” in MSFS only provides additional information useful for Spatial Reprojection, in order to correct the perspective of the reprojected frames even more.

Much thanks to mbucchia in clarifying this setting's functionality, and for doing so in response to my inquiry about Reprojection Mode which I posted on the Flight Simulator forum.  Also thanks for reading, and that you find this info useful.

Edited by TheFamilyMan
  • Like 2

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

This pertains to the MSFS setting I guess? What about the motion reprojection option in OpenXR Toolkit?

Bit of a bummer that actual motion reprojection isn't a thing in MSFS. However, stutters in the head movement are always way worse than any stutters in actual aircraft movement which I don't think I've ever even really noticed. It's always head movement which is bad in low frame rate conditions, so being able to smooth that out with reprojection in MSFS will make a huge difference. I haven't tried this yet, but if it's as smooth as before but now without the artifacts, that's huge and will definitely make this setting a must.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

I've never used this option in the sim but will give it a try over the next few days to see how it works out.

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

So I've tried reprojection mode - it's just as wobbly as it was before. No change. Bummer.

• Upvote 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

7 hours ago, threexgreen said:

So I've tried reprojection mode - it's just as wobbly as it was before. No change. Bummer.

I see that you're using a Reverb G2, which is what I use.  2D panels still wobble a bit, but for me that's not an issue since I only use them for a momentary convenience.  Also when I first 'drop in' to VR, it takes a second or so for the 3D image to settle.  Once things are settled, a wobble occurs once in a while, usually on the periphery, but I'll take that over the judder that's mostly been smoothed out.  Definitely it's not perfect.  Perhaps Win11 is causing problems with this setting.  I use Win10, DX12 beta, have HAGS disabled and my setting adjusted so I'm always getting 45-50 fps.

BTW I can't say for certain that I'll be always be using Reprojection Mode, but at least it's now an option, at least for me.

Edited by TheFamilyMan

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

7 hours ago, TheFamilyMan said:

I see that you're using a Reverb G2, which is what I use.  2D panels still wobble a bit, but for me that's not an issue since I only use them for a momentary convenience.  Also when I first 'drop in' to VR, it takes a second or so for the 3D image to settle.  Once things are settled, a wobble occurs once in a while, usually on the periphery, but I'll take that over the judder that's mostly been smoothed out.  Definitely it's not perfect.  Perhaps Win11 is causing problems with this setting.  I use Win10, DX12 beta, have HAGS disabled and my setting adjusted so I'm always getting 45-50 fps.

BTW I can't say for certain that I'll be always be using Reprojection Mode, but at least it's now an option, at least for me.

During testing I was at 43 FPS, 40 with reprojection mode, using the same settings as you except that I'm on DX11. I'll try DX12 to see if that makes a difference.