Sign in to follow this  
GaryG

moving addon scenery to msfs addon scenery folder

I'm new to the AVSIM forum but not new to MSFSX. I have been confused/frustrated trying to figure out how to move my downloaded addon scenery freeware folders from my desktop to the MSFSX addon scenery folder where I guess it should actually be. I have added several addon sceneries successfully through the addon scenery library and they work fine. But when I try to move these folders to the MSFSX addon folder within the program they stop working. I tried moving them and then they stop working.

But I'd like to move all of these (including some airplane addons as well to where they belong. The airplane addon folders are on my desktop as well and also in the airplane folder and they all work fine as well. I'm just trying to cleanup my desktop. 

Any help would be so appreciated from any forum members.Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions that may be given.

GaryG

If the airplane folders are already in FSX/Simobjects/airplanes folder then the ones on your desktop can be removed.  Did those addon sceneries use an auto-installer to add the sceneries to your FSX Library?  Did you look in the Addon scenery folder to see if they are already there?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Thanks so much for your quick reply.  I should have joined this forum a long time ago LOL.

Yes, all of the airplane addons are in my airplane folder and they work fine. So I'll just remove them from the desk top. When I upload the addon airplanes I always unzip them to the desktop and then manually (if they do not automatically) paste them into the simobject/airplane folder.

The addon sceneries, most of them,  I added using the addon library in the program.  Some were automatically downloaded to the addon library.  When I look in the program addon scenery folder, it is empty of any sceneries that i have in the addon library. I guess that's why when I move any of the addon scenery folders from my desktop to the addon folder in the program they don't work.

How can I get these off of my desktop? Thanks again for your help.

So when you added these sceneries to the Library, it's using the desktop as the route to the scenery folder.  I would delete the scenery in the Library first, then move the scenery folders to your Addon Scenery folder in the Sim, then re-add each scenery to the Library using the route to the Addon Scenery folder.  Now your desktop is clean.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Thanks again for your response. When I first downloaded the addon sceneries, I tried to add them by copying them from the desk to the MFX addon scenery folder and they would never show up in the Library and would not load when I tried using them.  I don't know why that was. I guess I should not have downloaded them to my desktop in the first place or after downloading them to the desktop, moved the entire folder instead of copying it to the addon scenery folder.

I'm hoping they will work this time as you have instructed. Maybe I should just try a single scenery addon from my desktop ( removing it entirely from the desktop and putting it into the addon scenery folder in the program) to start with to be sure it will work.

I'll give it a try. I just don't want to loose any of the scenery addons and have to go download them again from the various addon sites.

Just keep in mind that a scenery folder can reside just about anywhere on your computer, desktop, My Documents,  on any drive.  What you see in the "LIBRARY" is just a path to that folder.

What the arrow is pointing to is an airport that I downloaded and installed to my Library. What you see is just a path to the folder that is sitting in my Addon Scenery folder.  I could have left that folder on my desktop, or in My Documents and it would world just fine.  If you move that folder to somewhere else, you lose the path and the scenery won't work!  That's why I said delete the area first in the Settings/Scenery Library, move the folder to where you want it, then re-add it to your Library.

Screenshot 2024-02-03 1.21.03 PM.jpg

• Upvote 1

Charlie Aron

I followed your instructions without fail! Thanks so much for your help. It just helps to be a risk taker with these kinds of things. Have a nice day.

• Upvote 1