Sign in to follow this  
kiek

LearnDestination with time compression

I accidentally just deleted a thread, sorry for that,  in which somebody adviced to run LearnDestination at 4x or even 16x the speed, which includes ofcourse that you run PSXT at that compressed time too, in order to get a learned file quickly...

However, that's a misunderstanding. RealTraffic does not support time compression. You can synchronise RT with the time in your SIm once (by ticking the Sim Time checkbox) but after that RT will continue at normal speed, and it will check each second that you have not changed the time with at least 30 seconds in order to synchronise again. So 2, 4 and 16 seconds time compression will go unnoticed (only 32 time compression would have an effect, but I doubt that the PSXT algorithms could cope).  

In the manual section  3.1 you can read:

·         Fly in 1 x simulation rate (no acceleration)

I am thinking of adding a check upon that, to prevent confusion.

Edited by kiek

Nico,

As the person who suggested using time compression, I wanted to respond to ask you to consider allowing it to be used.

When we could run Learner in the background, it was fine to leave it running at 1x speed for hours on end, but now that the only way to learn an airport is to run MSFS as well, it’s too much of a resource waste to do that (power, CPU, cooling).

Also, when we could run RT separately, you could see the planes jumping depending on the time compression used, so time compression did seem to work.

Thank you.

3 hours ago, mmcmah said:

so time compression did seem to work.

No it does not, I'm afraid.  The time in RT is no longer synchronous with the time in the Sim. Hence the learned entries get wrong utc data.... It corrupts your learned files. 

Btw: the need for learning airports has dimished since the offline learned airports became available.

Edited by kiek

40 minutes ago, kiek said:

No it does not, I'm afraid.  The time in RT is no longer synchronous with the time in the Sim. Hence the learned entries get wrong utc data.... It corrupts your learned files. 

Btw: the need for learning airports has dimished since the offline learned airports became available.

Diminished, certainly, but not disappeared. As I recall from when you first introduced PSXTraffic, there are still many (small) airports that aren’t in the archive and also many places where soft learning is still required.

Could there be a way for the time in RT to be synchronous with the time in the Sim?

1 hour ago, mmcmah said:

there are still many (small) airports that aren’t in the archive.

If they are not in the archive (alhough presented to me via TBLO), chances you'll learn some entries are low. 

1 hour ago, mmcmah said:

Could there be a way for the time in RT to be synchronous with the time in the Sim?

Assuming you mean in compressed time mode, no sorry, that's is -technically speaking- not possible. 

But no worries, with a professional license you can already learn two airports at the same time, although in 1x mode only.

Edited by kiek

26 minutes ago, kiek said:

If they are not in the archive (alhough presented to me via TBLO), chances you'll learn some entries are low. 

Assuming you mean in compressed time mode, no sorry, that's is -technically speaking- not possible. 

But no worries, with a professional license you can already learn two airports at the same time, although in 1x mode only.

In that case, could you go back to allowing people to run Learner (and only Learner) without having to have the sim running?

30 minutes ago, mmcmah said:

In that case, could you go back to allowing people to run Learner (and only Learner) without having to have the sim running?

No I'm sorry. As you may recall, I ended that possibility for a reason, that still holds. All these Learner apps running 24/7 costed RealTraffic too many resources and thereby money. Balthasar could not afford that, and PSXT is useless without real traffic.... That's why we came up with the offline learned airports solution.

2 hours ago, kiek said:

No I'm sorry. As you may recall, I ended that possibility for a reason, that still holds. All these Learner apps running 24/7 costed RealTraffic too many resources and thereby money. Balthasar could not afford that, and PSXT is useless without real traffic.... That's why we came up with the offline learned airports solution.

Certainly I recall. It’s all right if the UTCs are off. Understanding the checks the app does and the way the time compression isn’t taken into consideration, I’d still like to be able to compress time to learn the airport, even if the timestamps are wrong.

I like having correct aircraft that are representative  of what the airport handles, and the airport being well populated, even if they aren’t all in the correct timestamp. After all, with the half-hour searches, the planes shown over 47 periods would naturally be off anyway to achieve the desired percentage in a small/not in the archive airport.

Thank you for the clarification. Please don’t add the additional check!

10 hours ago, mmcmah said:

Thank you for the clarification. Please don’t add the additional check!

It is already in and will be released in the next version. Maybe you understand and don't care that the times are off, but others may not, or in their innoncence don't know what they are doing.

However, for you I'll add a hidden parameter with which you can switch off this check.

Edited by kiek

7 hours ago, kiek said:

It is already in and will be released in the next version. Maybe you understand and don't care that the times are off, but others may not, or in their innoncence don't know what they are doing.

However, for you I'll add a hidden parameter with which you can switch off this check.

Fair enough. Thank you.