Sign in to follow this  
flyforever

Why does AAO lose its saved state....?

6 hours ago, flyforever said:

The AAO log does show  Access violation lines looking like:

2/7/2024 2:28:51 PM.227 : Exception received: 29 from send id 88 errloc 88
2/7/2024 2:30:14 PM.254 : SH: AccessViolationException in SimConnect

The A.V.E. are relatively common, and IMO they are a sign of SimConnect floods happening. But normally they are of no consequence. AAO is aware of them, handles them internally, and if there are too many, the connection-LED at the top of the main dialog will turn first yellow, then red, then the app will disconnect from the sim and reconnect automatically.

This would also result in a total loss of control, it will not affect just one axis.

The SimConnect Exception 29 is telling you that "something" has been assigned already before, this is also of no consequence.

Those items are not global things - if they happen or not is dependant on what exactly you are doing with the app and with which aircraft. I could only reproduce them if I had the exact same setup as you have, same axis and button assignments, and flying the same aircraft. Potentially also the same hardware, if you problem is indeed caused by a noisy potentiometer - in actual operation the app is always in "high sensitivity" mode.

Try using events for axis, and when you do, set "Rounding" to "Int" and make sure that "on change" is selected. This will smooth out "tiny imperfections" coming in from the controllers.

But - this is all theory. Without knowing what aircraft this happens with and what exactly you have assigned to it (axis, buttons and scripts) I normally can't afford an opinion. Also, as a general rule I do not check the compatibility of AAO with other apps that do the same thing. I still believe that running several "identical" apps at the same time (AAO, SPAD, FSUIPC, Mobiflight, ...??)  is a bad idea, because it is too easy for them to interfere with each other.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Thank you for this great explanation. Understanding the theory of these apps is, I think, very important. I did have mobiflight installed, but since I don't use it I removed it. FSUIPC is another matter. It seems that FSUIPC should be part of MSFS, since so many apps rely on it.

18 minutes ago, flyforever said:

since so many apps rely on it.

Which ones, can you give me a few examples? I've only encountered a handful in the old days, and I wasn't aware of any app that actually uses it in MSFS? But I am also not a cockpit builder, I know that it is very popular with them.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

34 minutes ago, flyforever said:

third party ATC programs use FSUIPC,  and I use one of them.

So it is just the one program then in your case? I am trying to figure out the "so many apps rely on FSUIPC" part. I know that many people keep saying this, but I don't think that it is actually true. If you have a concrete addon program that relies on it, you need it. But I doubt that it is true as a general blanket statement.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Upon further reflection, you are correct. All of us who come from P3D before AAO was available pretty much depended on FSUIPC for 3d party addons.