Sign in to follow this  
LukeFF

App keeps reverting to an old template

Ever since I started using AAO, I have noticed it has a tendency to revert to an old version of a template I created for the iniBuilds A300 - even though I've saved the new one countless times via the Save Database option at the bottom of the main screen. Is there something that is causing this to happen?

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

I have noticed it has a tendency to revert to an old version of a template

What does that mean exactly? And which one is it - aircraft Configuration Master or Clone or is it a linked Template?

"Templates" and "Configurations" are not the same. A "Template" is just a blueprint, it has no active components. The "Configuration" is what contains the actual buttons and axis assignments for a aircraft livery. In addition there is the option to link a Template to an aircraft. To have any opinion at all I need to know which use case we are talking about.

The app cannot just decide to load an old Configuration (or an old Template for that matter) for the same plane and livery, that is technologically impossible, the data is stored in files, and there is always only the one set. Unless something on your computer is overwriting the database xml files with older versions (like an extra backup process or something? OneDrive interference?).

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

What I see happening is I will create a set of keybindings, and once I have everything set how I want it I will then click on the Save Database button. Then yes, I do also then save it as a template I can link to the other version of the A300 (the passenger one). 

I don't have OneDrive on my computer, so I know it's not that. This issue seems to pop up if I have a CTD with the A300 - other times, like tonight, all my keybinds loaded up properly and I was good to go. It's just really strange that sometimes it will revert to a set of inputs I don't want to use. 

Posted (edited)

I can't see how the app could do this on its own, the database mechanism is too simple for that. Your configuration is saved to an XML file - and that's that. There cannot be any previous version of that configuration or template in the file, it is always just the one. There is nothing that the app could "revert" to.

The only ways to mess up the database are

- copy/pasting an older generation of the file over the "live" one (AAO doesn't do that) - the database is saved in 6 additional generations in 6 different files C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\LORBY_SI\LorbyAxisAndOhs... but AAO never reads them.
- restoring a previous version of the database manually (in the Tools menu)
- Some outside process making backups of the appdata folder and restoring that (there was a simmer once who had it synchronized to OneDrive and that was what happened to him)
- Confusion between assignments - Master vs. Clone, Aircraft vs. Livery, broken or unwanted linked Templates - ??

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

I seem to be having a similar situation. Make changes to current Template loaded for an Aircraft, ie add buttons axis etc and "save current setup as template", save as current template ie "Fenix A320" wish to overwrite, yes. Load aircraft the next time and it doesn't seem to load the changes I made. Perhaps I misunderstand the process of updating a template profile?

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

Perhaps I misunderstand the process of updating a template profile?

That depends on how you are using it. 

A Template is never "loaded for an aircraft" (unless it has been "linked"). That is not what Templates do, they are just blueprints, meant to be used to transfer settings from one computer to another or to apply certain hard coded elements to every aircraft the same way.

What is "loaded for an aircraft" is the "Configuration", and that is saved automatically, there is nothing for the user to do. If you feel that you want to force that save, you can use the little harddisk button at the bottom of the main screen. But again - this has nothing to do with the Templates.

And then there is the feature that a configuration may be split into Master and Clone, and that a Configuration is only applicable to an aircraft LIVERY.

Between all these assets, the Configuration, the Master, the Clone, and the Templates, the user can implement an infinite number of combinations. It is impossible for me to comment on a specific use case, as it all depends on what you are doing exactly, with which asset, for what aircraft.

I would generally stay away from Templates unless you decide that you need them. They are not necessary for normal AAO operations (which is a common misconception that people make who are coming from other apps - in AAO "template" means exactly what it says - a mere blueprint, no active components)

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Posted (edited)

Well, interesting. Learn something new everyday. An aircraft profile is actually a Configuration. So when making changes, no need to save as a template.

Edited by Adrian123

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

when making changes, no need to save as a template.

Correct. AAO saves everything automatically. But if you want to be extra cautious, you can force the save with the HardDisk icon or "Tools->Save database now"

Only save it as a template when you want to have a template - for whatever purpose (linked template, file exchange, etc.). For example, I only have a handful of templates that contain buttons that are the same for every aircraft. I merge or link those templates to new planes. Otherwise, with new aircraft I just use "Templates->Apply other config to this aircraft" to create a duplicate configuration of an aircraft that I already have. That way I get a new configuration for my new plan, that I can change whichever way I want.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

On 3/3/2024 at 10:45 AM, Lorby_SI said:

buttons that are the same for every aircraft.

Ahh. Answered question I had. Use Xtouch slider for Computer volume control on all aircraft. No need to program for every config. Thx.

@Lorby_SI, this problem happened to me again today. I loaded the A2A Comanche with a stock livery, made some changes to my database (not a template) and then exited the flight. Loaded up the Comanche again on a new flight but with a different livery, but all my changes were gone. 

I then started a third flight, back with the original livery where I made the changes, and now all was how I wanted the inputs to be. 

From what I have read in the documentation this should not be happening, i.e., AAO should be reading the same inputs for a plane regardless of the livery chosen.

Lorby, just to follow up, I figured out the problem - I needed to properly set what was the master and what was the clone for each plane. I think that was my problem all along. 😬

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, LukeFF said:

i.e., AAO should be reading the same inputs for a plane regardless of the livery chosen.

No, the opposite is true. In general AAO manages configurations separately for each livery. Only IF it can figure out that a livery belongs to a plane, that you already have a configuration for, it will show this config as a "clone". This clone cannot be changed - only with the "Master" aircraft you can apply any changes.

But there are situations in the sim that prevent AAO from detecting a clone (for example with Marketplace aircraft), then each livery has its own AAO configuration. The alternative would then be to use linked templates that contain the controls that are the same for every livery and/or aircraft.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Yes, I am all good to go now - I hadn't read the documentation close enough about masters and clones, and so in the past I would just choose a random livery when making control input changes. Now that I understand how all that works it's all functioning just fine. 👍