After taking a short break from MSFS, got myself a new PC and a new monitor. Specs are in my signature but if that is not visible, I now have: Intel Core i7-14700K, RTX 4070Ti Super 16GB, 32GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, 3 x 1 TB Nvme's with read/write of 9500/8500 respectively, 1200W PSU, AIO cooled, all connected with a MSI Z790 m/board. Today I picked up my new monitor, a Dell 32' 4K 144 Hz with 1 ms response time with both G-Sync and FreeSync. This is all running on Win 11 Pro. Monitor is connected to GPU using DisplayPort, not HDMI.

So, onto my questions: anything in particular I should be setting in Nvidia Control Panel, Windows display setting and the sim itself to take advantage of G-Sync? Must I disable frame rate limit in MSFS menu and leave frame rate unlimited? Or should I set it to half refresh rate (70FPS) with V-Sync on? G-Sync is new to me, my previous monitor did not have this feature. I very much doubt my new system will be hitting 144 FPS in MSFS with settings on a mix of high/ultra - more like 70 I guess.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Check out this video (and a few others on this channel).

If you're running 1440p you can expect upwards of 144 FPS with DLSS frame generation enabled (look for that on YouTube to get it setup - you'll need to be in DX12.

Running full 4K you'll still be great!

Enjoy the new rig.

ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Plus ▪︎ Intel i9-12900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 4090Ti ▪︎ 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo ▪︎ Windows 11 Home ▪︎ 3x Western Digital Black SN850 2TB NVME SSD ▪︎  ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair HX1000 Platinum PSU ▪︎ Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Case

Posted (edited)
On 3/4/2024 at 11:21 AM, RaptyrOne said:

After taking a short break from MSFS, got myself a new PC and a new monitor. Specs are in my signature but if that is not visible, I now have: Intel Core i7-14700K, RTX 4070Ti Super 16GB, 32GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, 3 x 1 TB Nvme's with read/write of 9500/8500 respectively, 1200W PSU, AIO cooled, all connected with a MSI Z790 m/board. Today I picked up my new monitor, a Dell 32' 4K 144 Hz with 1 ms response time with both G-Sync and FreeSync. This is all running on Win 11 Pro. Monitor is connected to GPU using DisplayPort, not HDMI.

So, onto my questions: anything in particular I should be setting in Nvidia Control Panel, Windows display setting and the sim itself to take advantage of G-Sync? Must I disable frame rate limit in MSFS menu and leave frame rate unlimited? Or should I set it to half refresh rate (70FPS) with V-Sync on? G-Sync is new to me, my previous monitor did not have this feature. I very much doubt my new system will be hitting 144 FPS in MSFS with settings on a mix of high/ultra - more like 70 I guess.

Set G-Sync on at both full screen and Window, then set V-Sync on as well as Low Latency at Ultra in NVCP, engage HAGS in Windows and use FG with either TAA or DLSS in game and you are good to go, with these settings the sim will automatically cap your frames a couple of fps below your monitor's refresh rate.

A tip, reduce your monitors refresh rate from 144hz to 100hz in NVCP, then you will get more headroom for your GPU, you will not see any difference between 144 or 100 fps anyway.

Edited by Ixoye
  • Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Thanks Ixoye, this is very helpful. I found a YouTube video giving similar advice, but I only have GSync enabled for Full Screen. I will set it for both even though I only use MSFS in full screen mode. Currently not using FG (I need to read up more on that) but I am using TAA.

With most graphic settings on Ultra, I am only reaching around average 70-75 FPS on the ground at 3rd party airports. Which is fine as things are very smooth, even when using Track IR.

Will reducing the monitor refresh rate down from 144Hz as you suggest give me more FPS then? Not sure if this can be done per application (i.e. MSFS) or if it has to be done in the Global option of the NVCP?

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

1 hour ago, RaptyrOne said:

Thanks Ixoye, this is very helpful. I found a YouTube video giving similar advice, but I only have GSync enabled for Full Screen. I will set it for both even though I only use MSFS in full screen mode. Currently not using FG (I need to read up more on that) but I am using TAA.

With most graphic settings on Ultra, I am only reaching around average 70-75 FPS on the ground at 3rd party airports. Which is fine as things are very smooth, even when using Track IR.

Will reducing the monitor refresh rate down from 144Hz as you suggest give me more FPS then? Not sure if this can be done per application (i.e. MSFS) or if it has to be done in the Global option of the NVCP?

It will not give you more fps, but it will reduce the load on your gpu make it run cooler and give you more headroom, setting gsync to both window and fullscreen is only recommended if you use other Windows open at the same time, surfing at the same time for example

• Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |