Sign in to follow this  
Sagittarius2018

Problems displaying traffic on the ground

Hi, let me start by saying that I don't know if it's a PSXT or RT problem but here's what's been happening for about a week (latest version of PSXT installed 6.2.0)

DTTA Airport, when I took the following screenshots there were three airplanes taxiing in the taxiways but the airport was deserted (I use AIG). Of course I waited several minutes and watched for any delay in the display, but nothing happened, no airplane ever appeared.

Can you help me understand where the problem is?

Thank you.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Sagittarius2018 said:

Hi, let me start by saying that I don't know if it's a PSXT or RT problem but here's what's been happening for about a week (latest version of PSXT installed 6.2.0)

DTTA Airport, when I took the following screenshots there were three airplanes taxiing in the taxiways but the airport was deserted (I use AIG). Of course I waited several minutes and watched for any delay in the display, but nothing happened, no airplane ever appeared.

Can you help me understand where the problem is?

Thank you.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The explanation is in the bottom line of the UI. It shows a Quality Factor of 0/1, meaning it has almost no parking data for the airport. This is an RT issue, whether because the airport doesn't allow it or because RT doesn't have access to good ground data (which is a recurring theme for a while).

Your  choices are to manually edit the airport file to add planes to various parking positions if you know what a reasonable set of parking assignments would be, or to Soft Learn the airport anytime you have MSFS running and can set PSXT to learn the airport (make sure you enable Soft Learning).

59 minutes ago, mmcmah said:

The explanation is in the bottom line of the UI. It shows a Quality Factor of 0/1, meaning it has almost no parking data for the airport. This is an RT issue, whether because the airport doesn't allow it or because RT doesn't have access to good ground data (which is a recurring theme for a while).

Your  choices are to manually edit the airport file to add planes to various parking positions if you know what a reasonable set of parking assignments would be, or to Soft Learn the airport anytime you have MSFS running and can set PSXT to learn the airport (make sure you enable Soft Learning).

It seems to me that Soft Learning is turned on, right? I see the check mark on the UI.

31 minutes ago, Sagittarius2018 said:

It seems to me that Soft Learning is turned on, right? I see the check mark on the UI.

Yes, it is, but since it only learns in realtime, you have to let it run for a while (longer or shorter depends on the amount of traffic the airport gets) while just sitting at the airport.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, mmcmah said:

Yes, it is, but since it only learns in realtime, you have to let it run for a while (longer or shorter depends on the amount of traffic the airport gets) while just sitting at the airport.

However, the problem is another. I wrote to Baltazar (RT) and he explained to me that all this is due to the degradation of land traffic in several places since he lost one of the traffic providers. Baltazar has been working to get better coverage data since the beginning of the year. He is making progress, but unfortunately it is slow, with ongoing negotiations taking a long time.

I hope it resolves as soon as possible. 

Edited by Sagittarius2018

1 hour ago, Sagittarius2018 said:

However, the problem is another. I wrote to Baltazar (RT) and he explained to me that all this is due to the degradation of land traffic in several places since he lost one of the traffic providers. Baltazar has been working to get better coverage data since the beginning of the year. He is making progress, but unfortunately it is slow, with ongoing negotiations taking a long time.

I hope it resolves as soon as possible. 

Fully agreed. I too have been in touch with Balthasar about it. It's been going on for 9 months or so.

My suggestion is what you have to do in the meantime. 

Keep in mind as well that most airports worldwide even many of the larger ones don't use transponder on the ground ops or that those feeds aren't available to the public. Then there are also those smaller airports that don't have radar or any surveillance to the ground. 

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

16 minutes ago, Sagittarius2018 said:

Sorry for the silly question, but then how does FR24 display traffic around the world even on the ground?

FR24 has a different business model. This enables then to charge customers more for deeper data, their regular user base is much more expansive, and they have people who feed them data to supplement whatever they get from other sources. All those things perhaps also enable them to be able to pay for more exclusive/niche data sources.

• Like 1

Also, I don't know if this a widespread issue, but it seems that there's very little traffic in Africa. I was just flying in Nigeria (random airports, so it may be that they don't get much traffic), but I saw no traffic, even in the air at 17:30 or so local.

• Like 1