Sign in to follow this  
Lonesome Cowboy Burt

Light Taildragger recomendations

Though I currently use MSFS, I am considering trying XPlane12.

Main reason being I have not been able to fly much irl during this last winter (House Move and terrible weather) and whilst understanding that any sim will always have big limitations I'd like to try XPlane to see if it comes closer in dynamics to my experience

Irl I fly a lightly loaded 470KG mauw microlight Taildragger with an 80hp, are there any models available for Xplane that users feel get close to this category of aircraft?

Ideally thoughts from those with irl experience, but all advice welcomed.

Please I don't want to instigate an MSFS v XPlane debate...Thanks

Posted (edited)

Yep there are a few about. The default Piper Cub is ok but there is a mod about to give it small wheels not tundras - flies realistically and well built default model as well. Default wise there is also the Stinson (bit of a truck on the ground and in the air really). I get into the Piper Cub a lot just for the fun of it simple aeroplane, good taildragger and well no AP so you have to hand fly it - no dramas. 

There is a freeware Cessna 170 that is very nicely done as well. Nice moderate size taildragger. 

Few biplanes about as well, mostly old Bellancas,  There is a Citabria Decathalon as a freeware not bad either.  Might even be Sukhoi aerobatic about as well not seen the Pitts Special or similar. If your into the oldies there is the AWX Tiger Moth which is first class, no brakes and skids on the ground (be warned) even seen some WW1 types like the Sopwith Camel. If you want STOL there is a very good Fiesler Storch as freeware, not to mention the RV10s etc which are about and well done as well. And of the course the veteran DHC-2 Beaver, free ware and payware for XP12 both are great. 

So all up really quite a few and all are fine in XPlane12. Reasonable amount of heavier metal available to, such as the Lockheed L10, the DC-3 and C-47. 

Edited by coastaldriver

The default PA-18 Super Cub is pretty decent to begin with and a number of free and paid mods that improve it suibstantially from there.

From the sounds of it the free Ehanced Flight Model version with the 95bhp engine may be closest to what you are used to.

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/84070-enhanced-flight-model-for-stock-pa-18-super-cub-more-engine-variants/

• Like 2

FCD4u25.jpg

It is an honest replica (more right rudder?) Bonus lot of nice paints about for it as well

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lonesome Cowboy Burt said:

Thanks, I'm downloading the Demo right now and will give the stock cub a try this evening

Please report back how you found it.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Me too interested how you go with it. Be aware we all struggle with control sensitivity and hence hardware-software connectivity with this sim. So is it realistic yes but getting the right 'feel' especially with yaw and hence rudder is difficult in this sim, there are some built in tricks re differential braking and rudder as well which make life challenging with a tail drager. In RL Rudder does not do much except move and really work as a control until it gets a good amount of airflow over it compounded now by slipstream effect. Of course it provides lateral directional balance as lifiting surface in its own right! 

I find it rudder overly sensitive with only a stick controller with a yaw twist ring! and very difficult to tune down so basically do nothing and then a little bit and maybe more when on the ground and not dance about once the tail comes up for flight! 

Same old same old though dont slam the throttle open on take off and expect to stay straight - you wont' gotta balance it it smoothly. Trickier in a cross wind too!

21 hours ago, jcomm said:

Please report back how you found it.

After some tweaking of control curves it feels pretty good, Id go as far as to say closer to my light taildragger experience than the savage Cub I use in MSFS.

Only thing I think is slightly overdone is the gyroscopic swing when lifting the tail, but all in all its a good un.

I may have to wait a month or so to get it (is euro 79 the going rate?)

• Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 9:48 AM, Matchstick said:

The default PA-18 Super Cub is pretty decent to begin with and a number of free and paid mods that improve it suibstantially from there.

From the sounds of it the free Ehanced Flight Model version with the 95bhp engine may be closest to what you are used to.

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/84070-enhanced-flight-model-for-stock-pa-18-super-cub-more-engine-variants/

Thanks Matchstick, I'll give that a try