Sign in to follow this  
Adamski_NZ

Saitek X52 Pro Throttle reverser problem

Whichever aircraft I use (that has reverser capability), I get this problem when moving the throttle down/back:

1) Full throttle to idle works fine.

2) After throttle idle, the reversers kick in and gradually increase.

3) When I reach FULL reverser (throttle all the way back) the aircraft throttle snaps quickly back to throttle idle (and no reverser).

I've tried all sorts of in game sensitivity settings as well as throttle calibration where available (eg. in FBW or Fenix A320) and can't stop this odd behaviour.

I've also tried mapping the reverser axis to a rotary switch and using the keyboard/button to toggle reversers on/off, but that often kicks in (spuriously) when in taxi or (worse) in cruise.

Any ideas, anyone?

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

Most likely issue is a noisy pot. Gunk has accumulated at that end of the throttle travel and is preventing the potentiometer from sending the proper electrical signal.

You can try disassembling the throttle and cleaning the pot with contact cleaner. If the buildup isn't too bad that can work. But often pots just die and need replacement.

Alternately, figure out where the end of the "good" signal is, then glue a piece of hard rubber to the throttle to block it from traveling farther backwards. Then recalibrate it so the new end stop registers as full travel.

All that said, you're describing what ended up with me getting rid of my much-loved X-45. The throttle pot finally got so noisy that I had idle thrust, and full thrust. Nothing in between. It's why the Honeycomb Bravo is the last controller I'll ever buy that uses pots instead of Hall-effect sensors, which are contactless and therefore don't degrade like pots do.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the detailed help. Sadly, I agree with your diagnosis. I've had many Saitek controllers over the years and noisy pots (plus spurious keypresses) have always been a problem - even with new gear. These controllers aren't cheap to buy, but they certainly use cheap components! Why they can't all be contact-less I just don't know.

My throttle also suffers from the dreaded/insane "throttle creep" - even when the friction knob is at maximum - so a disassembly has been on the cards for ages. Maybe now's the time!!

Edited by Adamski_NZ

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

Posted (edited)

I have the Logitech version of the X52 and it's full of noisy pots (and the same throttle creep). For reverse thrust I use a hold to toggle button. I hold down the button labeled D (in Windows it's button 7) and this toggles the throttle to control reverse thrust. Pull back to idle and take my finger off the toggle button to go back to forward thrust.

Edited by s0cks