Sign in to follow this  
Beagle Pup

Add On Linker - New links to an External Hard Drive

I want to use Add On Linker to link files in the Community Folder to a folder on a new external hard drive.  The online video advice I've seen starts from the assumption that you do not have Add On Linker previously installed so are starting from scratch linking each file in the Community Folder  to a folder on a new external hard drive.  In my case, I already have Add On Linker previously installed linking the Community Folder to an Add On Folder on the internal hard drive.  Can I then:-

(a) simply move the existing Add On Folder on my internal hard drive to the external one?

(b) if (a) is possible, do I need to do anything within Add On Linker so it cancels the existing link and recognises the new one?

(c) if (a) is not possible, should I delete the Add on Folder on my internal hard drive and basically start from scratch linking each file in the Community Folder to a new folder on the external hard drive?

Any advice on this would be appreciated.  I expect there's a very simple answer to this which due to inexperience with Add On Linker I've not been able to see!!

1 hour ago, Beagle Pup said:

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

The advice I have is don't do it! An external drive is much slower than an internal drive. Your load times will suffer from the slower read speed.

If you can, put non-MSFS content onto your external drive instead to free up space on your faster internal drive.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Posted (edited)

My advice is to buy a bigger internal drive. An external drive will increase loading times a lot and possibly lead to stutters.

However, if you insist  you can:

• First unlink (deselect) the entire folder you wish to move.
  • Move the folder to the external drive
  • Remove the old folder in Addon linker options
  • Add new folder in Addin linker options
  • Select the new folder

There might be other ways to do this but this us fairly intuitive to do.

Edited by orchestra_nl

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

I agree with all the above - about not using a possibly slow external drive for active MSFS content.

With respect to moving stuff, I think orchestra_nl's instructions are spot on. If you have any of these addons assigned to various Linker *presets*, they'll all be retained - even though the physical folders have moved.

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

Many thanks F737Max, orchestra_nl, and Adamski_NZ for your contributions on this topic.

I bought a Crucial X6 Portable SSD 1TB (up to 800mbps) so trust that this will be fast enough for load times.

I’m inclined then to follow orchestra_nl’s advice on this to move the Add On Folder to this external drive.

The only point I’m not clear on is how to unlink (deselect) the folder within Add On Linker and any further advice on this would be much appreciated.