Sign in to follow this  
mmcmah

RealSimGear COM port support

Is there a way to read data sent from RealSimGear hardware? I know that SPAD.next can be configured to read COM ports with the RSG protocol, but I'd really rather not go that route!

Has anyone tried this?

Thank you.

Posted (edited)

If this is a serial protocol, then reading data is not possible with the AAO app itself. The app is focused on the common protocols that "everybody" uses (game controllers, MIDI, CAN). It doesn't deal with specialized hardware at all - that is what the Web API was made for.

Someone would have to write a Bridge program, like those on the AxisAndOhs website, that understands the RSG serial protocol and translates it for the AAO WebAPI.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

7 hours ago, Lorby_SI said:

If this is a serial protocol, then reading data is not possible with the AAO app itself. The app is focused on the common protocols that "everybody" uses (game controllers, MIDI, CAN). It doesn't deal with specialized hardware at all - that is what the Web API was made for.

Someone would have to write a Bridge program, like those on the AxisAndOhs website, that understands the RSG serial protocol and translates it for the AAO WebAPI.

Thanks. I'll see if anyone has written one, and possibly delve more deeply into what would be required to build a Bridge program.

11 minutes ago, mmcmah said:

Thanks. I'll see if anyone has written one, and possibly delve more deeply into what would be required to build a Bridge program.

I've made a couple, but it was a real nightmare. Your only chance of creating a fully working bridge would be to get the written protocol specification from the hardware manufacturer. I haven't had much luck with that though, they never answer. 

When it is reasonably certain that it is a serial / COM port protocol, you can have my SerialScanner app. This is just tracking the data coming in from the device, and you will see realtively quickly if it makes any sense. Meaning for example if there is an acutal relation between a button press and the data that is going out from the device. There doesn't have to be, it could also use a constant stream of messages of varying contents. But at least figuring out the input protocol is technically possible. But IMHO it is absolutely impossible to figure out the outbound protocol (=how to light up LEDs or display something on the device's screen). There are no standards, so this is usually proprietary code - that you normally cannot observe. 

If you can get your hands on the specs, then it is worth a try. If not, I'd leave it be if I were you.

LORBY-SI

11 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

I've made a couple, but it was a real nightmare. Your only chance of creating a fully working bridge would be to get the written protocol specification from the hardware manufacturer. I haven't had much luck with that though, they never answer. 

When it is reasonably certain that it is a serial / COM port protocol, you can have my SerialScanner app. This is just tracking the data coming in from the device, and you will see realtively quickly if it makes any sense. Meaning for example if there is an acutal relation between a button press and the data that is going out from the device. There doesn't have to be, it could also use a constant stream of messages of varying contents. But at least figuring out the input protocol is technically possible. But IMHO it is absolutely impossible to figure out the outbound protocol (=how to light up LEDs or display something on the device's screen). There are no standards, so this is usually proprietary code - that you normally cannot observe. 

If you can get your hands on the specs, then it is worth a try. If not, I'd leave it be if I were you.

Thanks - good advice! I have reached out to RSG to see if they can offer any information.