Sign in to follow this  
toby23

How to clear event field?

Posted (edited)

I am building a Com/Nav panel and am unable to delete the event fields (from a previous button I had made). Whenever I clear them and click 'Submit', they just reappear.

Is this because I copied the button from another version that I had made on a different page? 

Do I need to start fresh with a new Rotary Encoder Canvas for every button?

spacer.png

Edited by toby23

Ryzen 5800X3D, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, Windows 10

Sounds like a bug in the Property Inspector (at least for this Action, possibly others). I will take a look at it.

As a work around, I would just enter one single character, so the box isn't empty. Then at least nothing will happen when the user triggers the event.

• Like 1

LORBY-SI

Posted (edited)

Hi, I am also having a lot of fun trying to set a background image for a rotary encoder. I managed last night but can't figure it out today. Whatever order I do it in, it doesn't display.

Is this the correct order?

1. Image Definitions > Click 'Add new image definition' > Enter unique name in 'Header' (tick appears) > Click Enter on k/b

2. (further down) Click 'Upload Image' > select image > Click 'Save'

3. (further down) Click 'Submit'

EDIT - I just followed my steps and it worked with a profile re-load. Maybe another bug...

Edited by toby23

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, toby23 said:

Maybe another bug...

To save performance the plugin tries to avoid unnecessary reloads as much as possible (otherwise the Elgato StreamDeck software will draw upwards of 10% CPU). So some operations in the PI may require a reload, if the odds are against you and the plugin didn't "get" the change.

I'm the first to admit that this is in no way perfect. As written before in your other thread, the AAO StreamDeck plugin was initially just meant as an example for how to use the AAO WebAPI. It is not part of the retail AAO product, it is just a freeware addition that is supported if and when time permits. The fact that the PI and the Action are two different, asynchronous, processes in the Elgato software doesn't make this any easier. You can try my StreamDeck Editor app instead, but this is not in any way "live" at all (the StreamDeck cannot be running when using the editor). It just offers a different level of access to the Action properties.

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 1

LORBY-SI

Without your help and your add-on, I wouldn't have been able to programme a full profile within a few hours, so I am very grateful.

1. Is it possible to query the NAV1 IDENT NAME somehow? I'd like to display that below the frequency using letters e.g. IBHO, see image below.

spacer.png

Posted (edited)

You have to supply a unit with every variable, see the MSFS SDK documentation that I sent you earlier. In this case it would be ", String".

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Posted (edited)

I found the reference in the SDK here but I don't know how to display it correctly. Could you please help me understand what I need to add?

NAV IDENT ICAO code. String  
Edited by toby23

Posted (edited)

Select "A:" then type "NAV IDENT, String" in the box. Be mindful of the space characters, with AAO every little thing counts. Either get it right or it won't work, AAO is very unforgiving.

Every variable requires a unit to work correctly. The syntax is "(type:name, unit)". There is an exception for LVars, see AAO manual, chapter Scripting, section about LVars.
Example: in the SDK doc, the variable right below this one is (A:NAV LOCALIZER, Degrees)

Units aren't fixed values, the SDK spec just names the default. You can supply different units and the simulator will convert the value internally. Example: (A:NAV LOCALIZER, Radians) or (A:PLANE ALTITUDE, Meters) etc.

The default Unit for a numerical variable is ", Number", that will always yield a result. For string variables it is ", String"

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Posted (edited)

I had actually tried that but it didn't display anything, which is why I thought I needed a special formatting to display letters instead of numbers but 'String' must be it.
Can you see why it might not be working? This frequency shows as IBMH in sim but not on the display of the Stream Deck profile.

spacer.png

Edited by toby23

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, toby23 said:

Can you see why it might not be working?

Yes, I just found out myself. This variable is an indexed one, but the SDK doc doesn't tell (the MSFS SDK documentation is famous for this kind of thing)

(A:NAV IDENT:1, String)

Supplying the index of the radio will make it work.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Posted (edited)

Btw. you can test variables in AAO first. "Scripting -> Watch simulator variables -> Select variable->Doubleclick". This will tell you what the variable in question will return. Click on the variable and you can edit it in the textbox, for example to add the index.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

It's working! Thank you again for your help, really appreciate it.

spacer.png

Would you mind if I used your button background image in this profile if I share it for free on Flightsim.to?

1 minute ago, toby23 said:

Would you mind if I used your button background image in this profile if I share it for free on Flightsim.to?

My own assets (plugin, graphics etc. from the AAO website) are all freeware, you can do as you wish. 

• Like 1

LORBY-SI

Posted (edited)

Thank you. I've uploaded the Profile to Flightsim.to here if you'd like to take a look.

Edited by toby23