Sign in to follow this  
Rhinozherous

Need help assigning LVAR

Hello!

I am currently setting up the Black Square Turbine Duke. In the manual it lists a lot of its LVARs. One of them is for the Autopilot Pitch Knob. The knob in the Virtual cockpit has a middle position (zero pitch) and can be incremented up and down for pitching the airplane up and down.

The manual shows only one LVAR for this knob, it is named: L:var_AP_PitchKnob and it has a Range of -15 to 15

I am trying to set this knob to a potentiometer on my Behringer Xtouch mini where a left turn of the knob should be Pitch Up and a right turn should be Pitch Down. The only thing I managed so far is setting this knob up and change the number beside the LVAR in AAOs to lets say 10 - but the result is that the virtual cockpit pitch knob is set to 10 pitch - I am unable to increment or decrement this knob.

Is there a way to set this up? I have to say that I am no programer, sorry for the maybe dumb question!

Thank you very much!

Klaus Schmitzer

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

1. Create a new Axis assignment
  2. Type "L:var_AP_PitchKnob, Number" into the box where it says "Enter Variable" (if that is the variables name, I just got the planes an hour ago and haven't had time to look at them)
  3. Set "Axis Min" to -15 and "Axis max" to 15
  4. Turn the encoder on the Behringer left/right until it is picked up by AAO
  5. Save
  • Like 1

LORBY-SI

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:
  1. Create a new Axis assignment
  2. Type "L:var_AP_PitchKnob, Number" into the box where it says "Enter Variable" (if that is the variables name, I just got the planes an hour ago and haven't had time to look at them)
  3. Set "Axis Min" to -15 and "Axis max" to 15
  4. Turn the encoder on the Behringer left/right until it is picked up by AAO
  5. Save

This worked like a charm! Thank you very much! Yes, this is the exact name of the variable.

Edited by Rhinozherous

Klaus Schmitzer

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

Just now, Rhinozherous said:

This worked like a charm! Thank you very much!

Btw. instead of using the mouse wheel, you can also doubleclick into the numerical boxes of Axis Min/Max and then type in the desired number.

And keep an eye on the "Rounding" setting. Not sure if this variable accepts floating numbers with fractions or only integers - that has to be trial&error'd

LORBY-SI

1 minute ago, Lorby_SI said:

Btw. instead of using the mouse wheel, you can also doubleclick into the numerical boxes of Axis Min/Max and then type in the desired number.

And keep an eye on the "Rounding" setting. Not sure if this variable accepts floating numbers with fractions or only integers - that has to be trial&error'd

Will trie this! Thank you for this awesome tool, it is essential for my flightsim-fun!

Klaus Schmitzer

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

I to am a novice on Lvar programming. I own Spad.next and FSUIPC7, and am trying to assign the Duke (both models) autopilot trim to one of the HC split switches on the Alpha yoke. I'd like to keep it simple if possible. Any help would be appreciated. If the programs I own are to complex at this early stage, I'm willing to buy another app.

Thanks in advance

34 minutes ago, homemonster said:

I to am a novice on Lvar programming. I own Spad.next and FSUIPC7, and am trying to assign the Duke (both models) autopilot trim to one of the HC split switches on the Alpha yoke. I'd like to keep it simple if possible. Any help would be appreciated. If the programs I own are to complex at this early stage, I'm willing to buy another app.

Thanks in advance

I am very certain that you can do the same thing in the apps that you already have. Did you ask on their support outlets?

I wouldn't add yet another app that essentially does the same thing. My recommendation is to make your choice for one of them and then stick with it. Since you already have SPAD, that would probably be the best way to go.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

I was concerned about the learning curve, and how long it would take me to become sufficient to do these simpler programs. So far the Duke product line is pretty well configured out of the box, but it seems many users are requesting the autopilot trim on both models to be assigned to an unused bind already coded into MSFS. But I will say a quick thank you, for your quick response, and will continue with what I have.

Regards

Pardon me for being word not allowed regarding Lvar creation and interface, but I've been trying to create the same Lvar as below but using one of the split switches on my HC Alpha yoke. The issue for me not being versed at writing these scripts, I own SPAD.NEXT, which appears to have a long learning curve, I own FSUIPC7, but that seems limited to writing Lvars, so I'm now looking into Axis & Ohs if I don't need another degree in computer science.

So if someone has a script they're willing to share, I'll buy Axis & Oh's right now. My needs for heavy Lvar use is small at this point. I'm just trying to find a starting point as to their use, and how to interface between the model and MSFS.

Thanks in advance

16 hours ago, homemonster said:

so I'm now looking into Axis & Ohs if I don't need another degree in computer science.

I still don't think that is the way to go. You already paid for those apps (which already begs the question why you needed both?). Both are capabale of handling LVar ops. It would IMHO be more beneficial to figure that out, than investing yet again in a new tool. I don't know about ease of use with those two, but surely it can't be that hard.

Isn't there a SPAD forum or Discord for this kind of thing?

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

On 5/15/2024 at 7:04 PM, homemonster said:

autopilot trim

Where is that control in the cockpit, (how) do you operate it with the mouse?

LORBY-SI