Sign in to follow this  
katchaplin

Blacksquare Duke mapping the momentary surface de-ice switch

Hi,

I just got the Blacksquare Duke, and for the most part, I've been able to use AAO to map switches and buttons that aren't in MSFS, but I'm having difficulty with the Surface DeIce. It's a 3 position switch, but springloaded to the center position. The variable for it is "L:var_SurfaceDeiceSwitch"
0 = AUTO, 2 = MAN. I've tried mapping it to my Honeycomb Bravo Flap lever, since it's also 3 position, springloaded to the center, but not having any luck so far. Here is my latest try:

https://gyazo.com/181c82af52c82ff97f4d277569328a5f

Posted (edited)

I'm not at the computer, but I think that you need two assignments. Both with key up setting the middle position (1?) and 0 as key down for one and 2 as key down for the other.

You cannot assign three states to a single button assignment unless you write a script for that.

Are you certain that changing the value of the LVar does anything? BKSQ are using MSFS Input Events too!

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Also, be mindful that simulator LVars need a Unit in AAO ( at least ", Number"). Otherwise AAO will treat them as internal variables that are not synced with the sim. This is especially relevant in scripts.

LORBY-SI

Hi,

Thanks, and yes, I was using a 2nd assignment for down, but neither one was working, so figured I'd just send you one of them. And maybe a dumb question, but how do I add ", number" to the end of an LVar for a switch? for the axis I could input my own, but for a button that doesn't appear to be an option.

Thanks!

Kat

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, katchaplin said:

And maybe a dumb question, but how do I add ", number" to the end of an LVar for a switch?

When you use the LVar in a script. If you know the name of a (any) variable, you can just type it into an RPN script and bind that to your button. AAO doesn't have to "know" the variable to be able to use it.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, katchaplin said:

Hi,

Thanks, and yes, I was using a 2nd assignment for down, but neither one was working, so figured I'd just send you one of them. And maybe a dumb question, but how do I add ", number" to the end of an LVar for a switch? for the axis I could input my own, but for a button that doesn't appear to be an option.

Thanks!

Kat

Sorry, but I don't think that this knob can be mapped from the outside. BKSQ have some timer code running internally using O: Vars, that resets the knob after certain conditions are met. The purpose is apparently to serve as a safeguard against the knob getting stuck when using certain mouse interactions. Not sure.
In any case, OVars cannot be accessed from the outside, there is no easy way to make this knob "behave" with AAO. Btw. the LVar above is not the trigger, it is just a state variable. There is another one that must be set in parallel (or instead of? not sure), but I can only make the "one cycle" position work, not the "manual".

These are my scripts:

Middle position
1·(>L:var_SurfaceDeiceSwitch,·Number)·1·(>L:var_airframeDeiceMode,·Number)

Lower position
2·(>L:var_SurfaceDeiceSwitch,·Number)·2·(>L:var_airframeDeiceMode,·Number)

Upper position
0·(>L:var_SurfaceDeiceSwitch,·Number)·0·(>L:var_airframeDeiceMode,·Number)

In a case like this there are only two options left: ask the developer to implement an InputEvent for this knob, or override the behavior code with your own implementation (=add the input event or a BVar yourself).

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Great, thanks for all the information. I'm not in a position to test it at the moment, but I will let you know if I can get it to work. I'm going to try to map it to a different 3-position spring-loaded switch on my joystick. I have high hopes and low expectations, but we'll see.

Thanks again,

Kat

12 minutes ago, katchaplin said:

I'm going to try to map it to a different 3-position spring-loaded switch on my joystick.

Save yourself the trouble. The problem is not the external hardware, it is the behavior logic in the simulator. You can try and play with the LVars in the scripts (there is another one called ..._timer that may play a role)

It would be better to contact BKSQ about it. They are using InputEvents for other things already (mixture, props etc.), and it would be a small thing for them to add one here.

LORBY-SI

Also, be mindful that animation and operation are not the same thing. You may be able to move a switch in the cockpit visually, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the aircraft system that is connected to the switch will activate. 

This is especially relevant for LVars.

LORBY-SI

I'm so over my head on a lot of this stuff. I guess there's a reason I never wanted to be a programmer. I looked up Input Events for MSFS but all I can tell is that it translates something into something else so it's easier to program. I think. But I'll send parts of our conversation to the Dev, see if he can create an Input Event I can use.

Thanks,

Kat