Sign in to follow this  
Matthieu Sanders

msfs 2020 won't launch

Posted (edited)

Dear fellow pilots, When I started my MSFS this weekend, nothing happened. It won't launch. No error message, nothing. Last time there was no problem at all. Windows update, Xbox app update, log in again. Reinstall MSFS several times. Install via store, install via Xbox app. Nothing seems to help. I think I have tried all the suggestions on the internet. \ What is strange is that MSFS installs the 2 GB, but cannot start the MSFS. I do see under programs that MSFS (standard) is installed and also digital proof of ownership. But in the windows store msfs is not visible and in the x box app it is visible, but is shown as not installed. Does anyone have any ideas what else I can try before I have to reinstall Windows altogether?

Greetings Matthieu.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Converted to standard text

@Matthieu Sanders, welcome to AvSim. I’ve moved your post to the MSFS forum where you’re likely to get help.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I do not see MSFS in the MS Store app either. Microsoft probably changed that a while ago and I think it is logical to use the Xbox app.

Account issues are generally solved by logging out of the Xbox app, rebooting the PC and then logging in again, with the same account you purchased MSFS with off course.
If it is not installed, then probably what you see on your PC is a leftover from an previous installation.

Could you check the file "%localappdata%\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\UserCfg.opt"? the last line should point to the root folder of your MSFS installation, where the Official and Community folders can be found. If that is not correct that might be the issue which you can correct in that file.

Another thing is to try uninstalling MSFS via "Add/Remove Programs" in Windows. That will only uninstall the core of MSFSIf the Community and Official folders are still there that is OK, you can point to them during the next installation attempt which saves you a lot of downloading. You can also point to a new location if you want to download everything again, to make sure everything is as it should be.

And if all else fails, a reinstall is sometimes quicker than spending hours of troubleshooting.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

This happened to me too at the weekend. My issue was caused by the Xbox gaming service being stuck in an update loop. Stopping and restarting the update in the MS Store app and rebooting the PC solved it. Try that. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, glynnw66 said:

This happened to me too at the weekend. My issue was caused by the Xbox gaming service being stuck in an update loop. Stopping and restarting the update in the MS Store app and rebooting the PC solved it. Try that. 

Same here, what a pain. I learned long time ago, re-instilling flt sim is a waste of valuable time to fix issues. 

Intel Core i9-1300K, ASUS TUF Z790-Plus, EVGA 1600 P, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 2TB, Crucial 5200 DDR5 32 GB, MSI  4090, Verjo Aero, Store MSFS 2020.

Same here, but Steam PC version. I thought it had something to do with me, installing FS cockpit hardware.
Will check the tips from orchestra_nl tonight.

I ran into the exact same problem over the weekend for the first time.  MSFS was installed and working well for 2 years   

Launch from desktop and got about 1 second of the spinning progress wheel, then nothing. 

After that happened a few times, clicking the icon did nothing.  

I ran the repair from XBox Live app and that seemed to fix it.  However, it’s returned randomly a few times since then. 

Best Regards,

Mark

i7 10700KF 3.8gHz -125W air cooled, 500W PSU, 4070 Dual OC 12GB, 32GB 3200, 43" P4317Q

Redbird Alloy RD1, Honeycomb Alpha, Bravo, Stream Deck, Quest 3

Many thanks to everyone who tried their best to help me.

After many hours of trouble shooting. Searching the internet, reinstalling the simulator and related applications and almost being ready to throw my computer out the window, the solution was really very simple.

SOLUTION.
The time....

My computer was still on winter time and had not adjusted this automatically.

After I entered the correct time and date, everything works again.

Okay, I have to update 132 GB due to the new installation, but it works again.

Thanks again!

See you in the sky.

Matthieu

• Like 1