Sign in to follow this  
Ident

Cant assign min and max axis in AAO

I'm stuck on assigning an axis for the Duke. I used the following info to create the assignment for the axis:

1. Create a new Axis assignment
  2. Type "L:var_AP_PitchKnob, Number" into the box where it says "Enter Variable" (if that is the variables name, I just got the planes an hour ago and haven't had time to look at them)
  3. Set "Axis Min" to -15 and "Axis max" to 15
  4. Turn the encoder on the Behringer left/right until it is picked up by AAO
  5. Save

Found in this thread

I can get the axis to move by putting the correct LVAR info in the Enter Variable box but my problem is I can not set the Axis min or Axis max. Its staying at 16000 and -16000 (ball park default number as Im not at my simpit right now. 

So I can hear and see the lever move in the sim but its not acting right. What am I missing and many thanks for all help.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Ident said:

What am I missing and many thanks for all help.

I don't know what you are missing. Why can't you set min and max, what is the problem? Exactly how and where are you trying to set them? Axis Min and Axis Max are two numerical controls on the Add/Change Axis dialog, right below the input assignments. They can be changed either with the mouse wheel or by doubleclicking them and entering the desired value. Same as most of the numerical boxes in AAO

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

I don't know what you are missing. Why can't you set min and max, what is the problem? Exactly how and where are you trying to set them? Axis Min and Axis Max are two numerical controls on the Add/Change Axis dialog, right below the input assignments. They can be changed either with the mouse wheel or by doubleclicking them and entering the desired value. Same as most of the numerical boxes in AAO

Heres a video to show the issue as it might be easier to understand. I need to set the min to 0 and the max to 100.

Wait, I havent tried double clicking only highlighting or trying to type over them.

Edited by Ident

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Ident said:

I need to set the min to 0 and the max to 100.

As written above: use the mouse wheel (spinning the wheel over the left half of the box changes faster than right half)  - or doubleclick into the box so it turns white, then enter the number.

This is the same procedure as with almost all other numerical boxes in AAO.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

As written above: use the mouse wheel (spinning the wheel over the left half of the box changes faster than right half)  - or doubleclick into the box so it turns white, then enter the number.

This is the same procedure as with almost all other numerical boxes in AAO.

So I got the numbers in but the sound continues to play unless it all the way in as seen in this video. I want to also thank you for your help in getting me working with AAO and the Duke. I figure once I know how to assign axis and then switches I will be able to do all the rest of my axis and switches as I am more a plug and play simmer.

Edited by Ident

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Ident said:

So I got the numbers in but the sound continues to play unless it all the way in as seen in this video.

Sorry, but I cannot comment on the functionality of an aircraft. It is just reacting to what you are doing. Why it does what it does - that you would have to ask the developer (= BlackSquare).

Are you quite sure that the LVar is the way to go here? 

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Just now, Lorby_SI said:

Sorry, but I cannot comment on the functionality of an aircraft. Are you quite sure that the LVar is the way to go here? 

I'll contact the author and see what he says. Aside from LVARs what option would I have to assign this axis?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Ident said:

I'll contact the author and see what he says. Aside from LVARs what option would I have to assign this axis?

You would have to look at the behavior code of the lever or knob using the MSFS developer mode, Tools->Behaviors, click back in the sim then hover the mouse over the control and press "Ctrl - G".

LVars in general are't assets for controlling something. They may work by accident or by design, but that is rare. Normally an aircraft developer is supposed to implement Input Events (and/or K-Events, Bvars or HVars) (as far as I understand the MSFS SDK doc).

Input Events you can find in AAO: when you are sitting in the cockpit, they appear in the group "MSFS InputEvents". But only if the maker of the aircraft chose to implement them.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Ident said:

I checked the knobs in MSFS devel mode, and they are IMO controlled by input events.

When you assign the axis:

Pilot air:
"Select simulator event -> MSFS InputEvents -> PASSENGER_Cabin_Air_1", Axis min = 0, Axis max = 100

Defrost air
"Select simulator event -> MSFS InputEvents -> PASSENGER_Cabin_Heat_5", Axis min = 0, Axis max = 100

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

On 5/14/2024 at 1:20 PM, Lorby_SI said:

I checked the knobs in MSFS devel mode, and they are IMO controlled by input events.

When you assign the axis:

Pilot air:
"Select simulator event -> MSFS InputEvents -> PASSENGER_Cabin_Air_1", Axis min = 0, Axis max = 100

Defrost air
"Select simulator event -> MSFS InputEvents -> PASSENGER_Cabin_Heat_5", Axis min = 0, Axis max = 100

Thank you for all your help. I'm starting to better understand how to use AAO for my use. I've also been in touch with the developer and providing feedback as we simmers all have so many different setup that both developers and beta testers might not have to test with.

I ended up using the simulator events instead of the LVARs like you stated and had to add a filter to max or 4 to stop the noise. I know have a much better understanding on how to assign the axis for my use for the Duke and will start to work on determining what switches I will need to assign that will work best for me and my setup. Here is the video.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Ident said:

had to add a filter to max or 4 to stop the noise

With a big value range like this, it is probably better to use "Rounding = int". I'm not sure that the aircraft logic can even process floating point values in this case ( with int the output value goes from 50 to 51 to 52. With float it goes from 50.0 to 50.0somehting to 50.0somethingmore etc.). But that is all trial and error again. The only person who can say anything concrete about that noise is the aircraft developer.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

30 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

With a big value range like this, it is probably better to use "Rounding = int". I'm not sure that the aircraft logic can even process floating point values in this case ( with int the output value goes from 50 to 51 to 52. With float it goes from 50.0 to 50.0somehting to 50.0somethingmore etc.). But that is all trial and error again. The only person who can say anything concrete about that noise is the aircraft developer.

When I asked Black Square in their forum about the sound this was the reply. 

This is an unfortunate byproduct of how some of the sounds were implemented in this aircraft. I asked my sound developer not to do them this way, but I was told that doing them the most elegant way was too time consuming. You might be able to stop this from happening on your end with deadzones at either end of the levers travel, but for positions in between, it would require some level of hysteresis that I'm not sure many of the 3rd part binding applications have.

I'm sure you could code them yourself with their scripting tools, but that requires a little programming knowledge to do correctly without hitting your head against a wall. The problem is that the sound plays every time the lever is moved, even by the smallest amount, which is often within the noise of most hardware input. Let me know if you want to attempt a software solution to this on your end, and I would be happy to help. In the meantime, I will point this out to my sound developer and see if I can convince him to do the more elegant solution in the future.

Another helpful user Randolf gave me this advice.

AAO has some filtering possibilities for noisy inputs. Try to play with "filter strength" value in the axis assignment window, or, depending on what the value is, maybe rounding to integer values could also help a bit.
If that doesn't help, there's always the possibility to write a custom script to filter the value 🙂

The filter worked for me. I get really lost when it comes to the tech side so I am very happy that your Axis and Ohs is a very powerful tool but also simple to learn the basics with and extremely appreciative of your help and quick replies.