Sign in to follow this  
eslader

Something is wrong with my install of Activesky.

I've been dealing with this since I got it on launch day but haven't had enough time to experiment until today. I flew in the KDCA area which currently has mild thunderstroms topping out in the low 20,000 foot range.

Activesky shows little pancake clouds from around 3k to maybe 5 or 8k. Default weather correctly shows the cloud height.

I get this every time I fly in any sort of weather. The cloud type looks right, but it's as though it's being compressed downward.

I'm getting cirrus/etc clouds up high, so it's not an absolute ceiling, but any sort of cumulus or cb cloud just doesn't get very tall no matter what.

I have everything set on default.  Anyone have any idea what's going on?

7 minutes ago, eslader said:

I've been dealing with this since I got it on launch day but haven't had enough time to experiment until today. I flew in the KDCA area which currently has mild thunderstroms topping out in the low 20,000 foot range.

Activesky shows little pancake clouds from around 3k to maybe 5 or 8k. Default weather correctly shows the cloud height.

I get this every time I fly in any sort of weather. The cloud type looks right, but it's as though it's being compressed downward.

I'm getting cirrus/etc clouds up high, so it's not an absolute ceiling, but any sort of cumulus or cb cloud just doesn't get very tall no matter what.

I have everything set on default.  Anyone have any idea what's going on?  Like this?
image.png.7cfdefe1d40defab6a645a8acb5dd623.png

I live on the near eastern shore of Maryland and at this time we are on our way home from the Preakness in Baltimore.  We have had rain off an on overnight and through today, but no convective storms, not thunder, no lightening.  Do you have any real weather radar map images showing tops?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Much like Asobo, HiFi recently reduced the cloud heights due to "performance" reasons, except at least HiFi admitted it in the release notes (version B8888):

• Reduced cumulus and cumulonimbus max thickness approximately 10% for better performance in most cases

SMH

AFAIK Rex Weather force also cannot create thunderstorms like they used to. Maybe Asobo killed all of the tall (towering cumulus) clouds back in Su7 as well? Who knows.

When MSFS released the live weather thunderstorms had great cumulonimbus cloud heights, I did not have performance issues due to this.

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, fppilot said:

I live on the near eastern shore of Maryland and at this time we are on our way home from the Preakness in Baltimore.  We have had rain off an on overnight and through today, but no convective storms, not thunder, no lightening.  Do you have any real weather radar map images showing tops?

Yes, GRLevel3 looking at station KLWX.

https://imgur.com/a/FRx3rKN

The echo tops in the Ridgeley area are still at 23,000, meaning the clouds are likely even higher. At the time I landed, the clouds were just east of the airport. I did misspeak when I said thunderstorm, looks like there's no lightning, but the clouds are definitely taller than depicted by AS.

46 minutes ago, KERNEL32 said:

Much like Asobo, HiFi recently reduced the cloud heights due to "performance" reasons, except at least HiFi admitted it in the release notes (version B8888):

• Reduced cumulus and cumulonimbus max thickness approximately 10% for better performance in most cases

SMH

AFAIK Rex Weather force also cannot create thunderstorms like they used to. Maybe Asobo killed all of the tall (towering cumulus) clouds back in Su7 as well? Who knows.

When MSFS released the live weather thunderstorms had great cumulonimbus cloud heights, I did not have performance issues due to this.

I read the HiFi announcement as lowering the density of clouds, not the size.  Besides, the top of the rain was at 23,000 which like I said in the other reply means the clouds are probably higher than that. Even assuming they're not, drop cloud height by 10% from 23,000 and they should still be topping out a little over 20,000 feet.

The default weather engine properly displayed the cloud heights. Clouds were well above me as I descended through 10k feet, but under the AS depiction, I was surfing the tops.

Edited by eslader

Thank you!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere