Sign in to follow this  
Guest zbobg

FSX SP2/ACC Night Lighting

Did the SP2 patch or the ACC expansion pack mess up the panel night lighting?The following is in reference to FSX XML gauges using a _night bitmap and FS2K4 "C" type gauges using standard (typically red) night lighting, these are 2D gauges on a 2D panel. I haven't looked closely at any VC panels yet, they might have the same problem.At night all my instrument panels are dark whether the panel lighting is on or off. The night lighted gauges are the right color (generally red-shifted using the proper _night bitmaps) but they are not bright at all.The gauges are using the proper _night bitmaps but they are not bright. When the panel lighting is off (and it is night) the gauges use the regular day bitmaps and are also not bright, but that's how they should be I think. Shouldn't the _night bitmaps always be bright?Should I have to change the flag for 'bright' in the gauge? I didn't think you had to. This would apply to non-Microsoft non-standard gauges. I haven't looked at all the MS FSX standard gauges yet, so some of them may be messed up as well.I can't run FSX in non-SP2/non-ACC to see if this night lighting behavior has changed. I have the Acceleration expansion currently installed and I don't want to uninstall it.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

In your blog entry you are only referring to ".fx" lighting, which is an entirely different subject than 2d gauge lighting and/or emissive gauge backlighting.As for the OP's actual question, I can only say that I've not had any such issues with FSX-RTM, FSX+SP1, FSX+SP2 (which would include Acceleration as well).It is entirely possible though that your lighting system has gotten out of synch. To test this, use the L key to enable all lighting, then use the switches on the 2d panel to turn 'em off one by one.Now see if your gauges on the 2d panel light normally.

The problem is solved, sorry for all the excitement.My problem was not with 'emissive' lighting as used with 3D gauges, it only has to do with 2D gauges on a 2D panel.I was building a new panel with all new gauges, so the panel was not based on any previously existing panel. I had left out one section important to night lighting - this section:Day=255,255,255Night=225,117,89Luminous=200,128,90(Had to substitute brackets.) Once that section was in place the night lighting of the gauges works as intended.One of the changes in FSX is that the panel lighting and the gauge lighting are now no longer separate and now the _night bitmaps (and luminous 'C' gauges) are turned off and on by FSX. That's just confusing when you have another problem to figure out. At night the night gauge lighting can now no longer be toggled separately from the 'dome' light. Without that Color section there is no dome lighting (brightening of the panel itself) as well as no gauge lighting.Also, I think the FS9 night lighting would use a default lighting value when there was no Color section in the panel.cfg file so the panels would not be completely dark. Quite a few of my FS9 panels don't have a color section and always seemed to work in FS9, I've since edited all my old panels that I've transferred to FSX. Oddly I never noticed a problem in FSX until after the ACC expansion was installed, so I still think something about how the night lighting is done may have changed since SP1.