Sign in to follow this  
Guest tcable

why does FSX have GIANT autogen?

FSX does have the ability for scenery developers to specify custom autogen, perhaps as you say there's a way to create an addon package that replaces the default with more realistically-sized objects ...Jon

That looks a very good idea.We have Flight Environment X and Ground Environment X so why not Autogen Environment X?

Guest bstolle

For me the gaint trees were the main reason why I disabled autogen.I asked the guys at FTX about autogen and they said that FTX will have all the trees 'hand placed' PLUS in the 'correct' size.Seems that FTX will become an extremely professional must have add-on :)RegardsBernt Capt 767

Guest cbuchner1

that begs the question (or the question begs to be asked): Is there any configuration variable in FSX to specify the size or scale of the default AutoGen?Christian

Guest Mike707

Christian, that is a great question and I sure hope that there is. To me the autogen is definitely too large and takes away from the reality of a sim, although when autogen was introduced in FS2002, I think Aces made the correct decision in constructing it to be larger than reality. As mentioned above, I too have heard that the FTX product will have better sized autogen and am totally looking forward to that. I would also hope that Aces is able to change the size of autogen in the FS11 version, but it sure has come a long way since FS2002.

Hi Christian,sorry, there's no magic setting to globally reduce autogen size. There is a MinScale/MaxScale setting in the autogendescriptions.xml but it's non-functional in the sim, according to the SDK, and it would be per object model, as far as I can tell, not all encompassing.The good news is that FSX is much more open to changing autogen and offers a lot more variety than FS9. Thus, as Jon mentioned above, one "just" has to pick different sizes of trees etc. for annotations. Obviously, it would be quite a bit of work to create new agn files for the 100+ texture sets with their 1 to 16 variants each.Unfortunately, the scale of buildings cannot be influenced unless one creates a new set of models. However, annotator allows to set the number of stories, so there's an indirect influence on height. Lots more information in the FSX Deluxe Autogen SDK and in Luis's excellent tutorial: http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxsd&DLID=107335Cheers, Holger

Guest tcable

I can live with the illusions of autogen and the giant size :)It's default terminals being double or so in height that irks me.I do nt know how they are generated- be it manually or via a batch process, but the height has always bothered me, especially yat KPVD. THe general hight is way too high, and then the 'stub' that comes off on the North end is just an enclosed walkway and maybe 10 feet high!