Sign in to follow this  
RFields5421

FSX adding callsigns to airlines.cfg

Guest Oscar Yankee

HiMy default airlines.cfg only had 10 airlines to choose from. I have added callsigns such as Scandinavian, Air Force etc. and they seem to work fine with ATC. But is there a list of valid callsigns in FSX Acceleration (no add-ons)?Jan

>Hi>>My default airlines.cfg only had 10 airlines to choose from. I>have added callsigns such as Scandinavian, Air Force etc. and>they seem to work fine with ATC. But is there a list of valid>callsigns in FSX Acceleration (no add-ons)?>>JanYou might want to download the beta of EditVoicepack for FSX.I believe that utility MAY update your airlines.cfg file automaticallywith all the callsigns in the "USEnglishBig.gvp" file.It doesn't do all the things that the FS9 version was capable of yetsuch as be able to add your own custom call signs but it's worth a look. FYI, I still use the FS9 version for editing and customizingand then copy the output into FSX.Do a Google search for the utility.BTW, I don't thing "airlines.cfg" really DOES anything in FSX otherthan give you a list of airlines it knows. What counts is what is in the SoundATCUSEnglishBig.gvp file. The ones you added were mostlikely already in the database. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

The only thing the airlines.cfg file "does" is populate the drop-down picklist in your FS aircraft selection menu! :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Oscar Yankee

Thanks PaulStill..., when I add callsigns to airlines.cfg, I not only can choose them for my aircraft, but ATC sound also uses those callsigns. So I guess what I'm asking for, is how to see what callsigns is already in the database, besides the 10 listed in the default airlines.cfg?Jan

>Thanks Paul>>Still..., when I add callsigns to airlines.cfg, I not only can>choose them for my aircraft, but ATC sound also uses those>callsigns. So I guess what I'm asking for, is how to see what>callsigns is already in the database, besides the 10 listed in>the default airlines.cfg?>>JanAs I mentioned, get EditVoicePack and have it build youan updated airlines.cfg file. Also, when you run EVP you can seewhatcallsigns are in there. And ATC would use the callsigns evenif they weren't in the airlines.cfg file, as long as you specifiedthat callsign in the aircraft.cfg file and it existed in the EVP file.Adding names to the aorlines.cfg file doesn't do anything as faras the voicepack (ATC) is concerned.If that airline isn't alreadyin the database adding it to the cfg file won't "activate" it...Go here and have a look:http://www.fsonline.dk/en/index.php?title=EditVoicepackMy airlines.cfg, generated recently, contains 4680 callsigns.I used the 'old' EditVoicePack for FS9 to create my currentATC file. It is 50kb in size, for reference. I don't recall how big the default FSX file was since I never used it foranything. I do all my callsign assignments in the applicableaircraft.cfg files and not through the FSX aircraft selection menu, which is the only place the airlines.cfg file is usedas noted by Bill, above. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

There are about 170 default airline callsigns in the original FS2004 Voice Pack file.There is no FSX VoicePack SDK, so we don't have a list of the default FSX callsigns - but they appear to be the same as FS2004.As Bill noted - adding a callsign to the airlines.cfg file only allows you to select the name as the airline you are flying.It does not ensure that there is a sound file associated with the name.i.e.Airline Callsigns AIRLINE LUFTHANSA 0 "Lufthansa" WAVAIRLINE114.WAVIdentifies LUFTHANSA as a correct code to place in the atc_airline= part of an aircraft.cfg file. That code will cause the file AIRLINE114.WAV to be played.But there is no code for EuroWings, a Lufthansa associate airline. So if you add Eurowings - no sound will be played.As Paul pointed out - EditVoicePack the free addition you need to add callsigns and update the airlines.cfg with all active sound configured for FS.Right now EVP for FSX does not give you the ability to add new sounds and manipulate sounds. Lars is working on it, but it is freeware and not how he makes his living.Many of us have EVP installed along with FS2004 on our hard drives and copy the file USEnglishBig.gvp from our FS2004 Sounds folder to the FSX SoundsATC folder after any updates.Always remember these are not airline callsigns - but computer control codes setup to cause a sound to play - so there may be some slight variation from the real world callsign.