Sign in to follow this  
Guest wcs33

Any Comments on AeroSoft's "Autobrake" Program?

Guest wcs33

Hi all,I fly the Lockheed Electra a bunch in FSX, and like to find small runways to test it with (in real life it could stop very quickly)...but as we all know, the braking in FS is perhaps a bit too effective.Aerosoft has released an autobrake product that is supposed to model braking conditions (wet, snow, etc) much more realistically--but it is expensive in that it requires the payware FSUIPC product in addition.Has anyone tried the braking product, and does it perform as advertised? I'd sure like to feel a bit more nervous flying into smaller runways :)ThanksBillKBDL

I am also planing to buy it, but have a question.Is it sufficient to turn RTO in Aircraft panel, or I had to click it on a TSR Autobrake minipanel?Does the program affects manual breaking with my toe peddals?It will be great to have an review (I didn't find any), becouse this piece is quite expensive

Hi guys,I've just bought this and played about with it a little so I can give you a few impressions. Firstly it seems to make a big difference to the braking performance, especially on wet or slippery runways. I set up some rainy approaches to leeds bradford rwy 14 and ran off the end a couple of times when I was a bit fast or landed a bit long.It also simulates sliding left and right as each wheel brake finds differing levels of grip in the wet. It also appears to take into account the surface of the runway , slope etc. but I haven't delved into that in much detail.You now don't need a registered version of FSUPIC but it makes life easier if you have. As far as I can tell with my quick play, you can use the default jets autobrake switch to control the program, or there is a kind of mini panel you can also run it from, but that only works in windowed mode, not full screen. Life gets more complicated when using more advanced aircraft. I have the Level D 767 and PMDG 747X. you can either use the minipanel in windowed mode, but if you normally fly in full screen as I do then you really need the registered version of FSUIPC, so you can program in key strokes to control the autobrake system, as the panel switch won't work with the program(or at least that's the way I understand it, apparently there are modified air files around, I may look into that further). At the minute though I've got my 767 and 747 set up so the autobrakes are controlled by the keyboard and it works fine.Overall in the short time I've played with it I've found it to add another dimension to the sim. Approach planning needs to be spot on and no more floating halfway down the runway before landing, as your more than likely going to run off the other end lol.Hope this helps and if there's any more I can help with please ask. Steve

Steve has pretty much got it spot on.. It's a very very good program if your looking for more realism, You wouldn't drive a massive oil tanker down the highway and expect it to brake like a Ferrari. No more landing heavy jets at max landing weight above VREF and expecting to stop in time.I have it running on a seperate pc hooked up to hardware, it replaces the built in autobrake and it works perfectly. It fixes a mayor flaw in FS no matter what aircraft you fly. It really makes you think about RTO's and autobrake selection in severe weather.Rob

Rob Prest

Thanks a lot rjprest!Tell me - does this affect anyhow the manual braking ?

Thanks a lot rjprest!Tell me - does this affect anyhow the manual braking ?
Good question, I bought it when it first came out and had to calibrate my saitek pedels through FSUIPC, so I would assume the answer is yes. I only apply manual braking below 60 knots as I fly heavys. It does simulate Antiskid failure but I dont think it simulates loss of autobrakes due to a hydrualic system failure. CheersRob :)

Rob Prest

I prefer to fly in a GAs. Big trucks I use from time to time.Will have to buy and figure it out :)Thanks again