Sign in to follow this  
Guest V4DIV-CVN-70

I died and have gone to heaven! WOW, WOW, and er..WOW!

Guest Nick_N

No, just C for the prefetch and the command lineI should have clarified. Other drives will not be influenced by the prefetch and idletask execution.

Guest Nick_N

No problem BillIf i could go back and change the list I would to add a few things in order to clarify based on the questions that have come up but unfortunately posts time out on editing.

>About the page file frag..>>In my guide... go back to the part where I specifiy how to>change the page file>>Turn it off for all drives, reboot, go to the C drive and if>it is there, delete the file pagefile.sys and empty the>recycle bin>>run the completename defrag with it OFF>>Once complete, turn the page file back on setting it to>3072-3072 for the Windows drive and then reboot.>>it's now defragmented automatically. When you rebuild the page>file it defragments it when the file is re-written>>I have seen what you are describing in the past.. sometimes>you must help a bit by simply rebuilding the page file>>>And note.. you will never use that file for an application>write/read unless you exceed the amount of PM in your system>(actually about 128MB less than PM)The idea is to never use it>by having enough PM but allocate space -for several reasons-,>and, to have it fragment less by establishing a specified>value and not allowing it to expand or contract under OS>control.>>>>>>HiI see you have set the pagefile to 3072-3072. I have WinXP Pro SP2 and 4gb ram, OS sees 3.2gb of it, what pagefile size should i use, for best performence with this setup?BrgdsStein-Ove

Guest Nick_N

I doubt you will ever use the page file,.. same settingits not about performance when enough menory is installed.. just setting it to allow for allocations

Guest johniewalker8080

NickN,Have been implementing the entire set of your tweaks, O&O defrags etc. with terrific results. Now have my new PC honed to FSX performance and terrific experience with UTX, GEX, ASX, FEX, etc.I use D: drive for FSX and C: for everything else - two WD Raptors 150GB.My question is this: I would like to dual boot the PC, and have a separate partition on the C: drive for Vista (so I can actually use the PC for something more 'constructive' ;) - I am hoping you might be able to recommend a partition manager that I could use? Acronis, Norton, other?This way, I believe I can keep the optimized XP64 installation for FSX separate from an everyday Vista set-up.Many thanks again,JW

Guest Nick_N

Vista? Constructive?OKWhat do you think your going to get with Vista you wont get with XP x64?As far as I am aware, the only thing Vista really offers is the DX10 platform for Crysis and support for many TV cards in QAM digital HD signal processingNot to say you may not wish to get use to the OS and work with it.I would never partition a drive... just buy another one and load VistaI dont use boot managers. I installed XP, removed the drive from the system and then installed Vista to another drive so i did not ever have to deal with the mixed boot loaders. I just set the primary drive for XP at boot in the BIOS and if I want to boot to Vista I use the F8 bios boot order menu and select the Vista drive. My automatic boot to XP remains the same and I only use F8 when needed and never have to worry about boot problems and repairs should I wish to can a installMost motherboard have a boot loader in them... F8 at boot (not after the BIOS Window or that will take you to SAFE MODE options)

Guest FlyingBear

Hi Nick, First of all thank you for all your time and effort to post all the information for optimizing XP and FSX,You have written it all in a clear and precise manner, but having said that I have stuffed up :(I thought I was being very careful and took it slow and steady but after I had implemented most of your instructions I discovered that I had omitted one of the steps.Namely this one:"TYPE START - RUN type: regedit, click OK Regedit will open. Find the following keys in the tree: Browse to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftDfrgBootOptimizeFunction Set "Enable" to: "N" (right click, select MODIFY change from

NickAny idea as to when you'll have a great Vista check list? My new PC came with Vista Home Premium, and while it runs great now with SP1, my FSX install I think could still be improved.I have a lot of add on scenery, and usually in the highly detailed areas I can drop into the single digits for FPS (I know that it is moreso the smoothness that I should be concerned about, but it does get choppy at that point) When I'm at higher flight levels my FPS will stick around 25-30 which is great.Also, I see you talk alot about O & O Defrag. I've been using Ultimate Defrag from DisTrix. Is there a big difference between the two?My system:Xeon 3060 (Similar to e6600) OC'd to 3.2Ghz4GB Memory (1000Mhz)3 HD's -(1 OS, 1 FSX, 1 Misc with mesh etc..)eVGA 8800 GTS (640MB)Windows Vista Home Premium (32Bit) w/ SP1TIA!

Building a full scale 737-800 Simulator running P3D v5.x 210 degree wrap around screenspacer.png

Jason Lohrenz (@lohrenz737) • Instagram photos and videos

Lohrenz 737 Simulator Project (lohrenzsimulator.com)

Guest FlyingBear

Hi Nick, First of all thank you for all your time and effort to post all the information for optimizing XP and FSX,You have written it all in a clear and precise manner, but having said that I have stuffed up I thought I was being very careful and took it slow and steady but after I had implemented most of your instructions I discovered that I had omitted one of the steps.Namely this one:"TYPE START - RUN type: regedit, click OK Regedit will open. Find the following keys in the tree: Browse to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftDfrgBootOptimizeFunction Set "Enable" to: "N" (right click, select MODIFY change from

Guest Nick_N

You did not ruin anything but the defrag optimize for boot files wont work right without the registry edits, and, applying 'rundll32 advapi32,ProcessIdleTasks' is useless without those editsGo back and start over, confirming each stepI don

Guest Nick_N

I am completely swamped with GEXn Europe right now.. no ETA at this pointAs for UD.. I think its overkill and too much for a typical user to undertsand how to use it right. O&O is sweet and simpleYou can get a v8.6 key that works fine with Vista and does not have the v10 issues with it.You can not use the PREFETCH changes I posted for Vista but you can use the Ntfs Last Access Update tweak, the GUI changes I listed and the derfag passes as specifiedRight now, for Vista I wouldShut down System RestoreTurned off User Account ControlTurned off the Defender service.Disabled Aero Disabled the Indexing serviceInstall NOD32 as the security productFollow the list but leave out the registry edits for boot optimize and prefetch cleaning

Guest mikemoye

Gee this thread is taking me days to plough through!Nick_N;I tend to agree that the O&O complete/name is the best overall; and promotes faster PC boot-up times as well.A question: Re. O&O version 8.5 vs 10... is 8.6 (I have an old copy of) Ok as well?