Sign in to follow this  
Guest V4DIV-CVN-70

I died and have gone to heaven! WOW, WOW, and er..WOW!

Guest crimplene

>>>You should not be on here posting if the defrag is running...>assuming its the same rig you are surfing with>>Very important not to touch the keyboard, check email, surf or>do anything while the defrag is running... nadda, nil, nuthin>>have a beer or 3 but dont touch the computerDepends. I have FSX on another physical harddrive than XP and any other software. So I can defragment D: (with FSX only) while working with my system, beacause no byte is changed on D. One question though:You write, the virtual memory should be on the same drive as Windows. Wouldnt it improve system performance to have virtual memory on another physical HD?On my pc for example, I have one drive for system and most software, another drive dor FSX only and a third drive for large files (videos etc.) I seldom use and for virtual memory. I always thought this the best solution. Why do you think, it's not?crimplen

Guest wyldmagik

Nick,strange stuff, never was a fan of 0&0 but thought id give it another whirl..First time i defragged the page file on C: it was fine with first pass, after then doing any typr of complete/name reboot then again. the page file was fragmented again and it will not now defrag at all, i reboot with offling defrag in 0&0 and it does its stuff or seems to as i cant bloody see what its doing anyhow as the display is messed.. Anyhow when i analyze the drive it shows the pagefile in the display windonw fragmented and i have 31% fragmentation on 2 files.. Any ideas? it does not seem to be defragging the page file..cheersJames.

Guest Nick_N

I am going to post this once and I am not going to get into why because I dont have time right nowthat is incorrectDo not touch the system for any reason no matter what drive is being defragmented and NEVER set the defragmenter to do any type of background defrag service. You are in fact using CPU cycles and I had you tell O&O to "USE ALL AVAILABLE RESOURCES" while defragmenting and therefore ANYTHING you do on that keyboard will effect the defrag process I outlinedDont touch itUnless you are a PRO and a computer science grad and know exactly what you are doing for the applications being run, leave the page file on Windows drive. We are talking about a GAME performance rig, NOT a network server

Guest Nick_N

The issue with the garbled screen is a nivida adapter problem, not O&OAbout the page file frag..In my guide... go back to the part where I specifiy how to change the page fileTurn it off for all drives, reboot, go to the C drive and if it is there, delete the file pagefile.sys and empty the recycle binrun the completename defrag with it OFFOnce complete, turn the page file back on setting it to 3072-3072 for the Windows drive and then reboot.it's now defragmented automatically. When you rebuild the page file it defragments it when the file is re-writtenI have seen what you are describing in the past.. sometimes you must help a bit by simply rebuilding the page fileAnd note.. you will never use that file for an application write/read unless you exceed the amount of PM in your system (actually about 128MB less than PM)The idea is to never use it by having enough PM but allocate space -for several reasons-, and, to have it fragment less by establishing a specified value and not allowing it to expand or contract under OS control.

Guest wyldmagik

Thanks I will rebuild it and let it auto defrag.. Its just ive seen 0&0 do some odd things in the past using it and i primarily switched to Perfect Disk.. But on that note people always recommend 0&0 so i was a bit miffed lol..Cheers anyway..James.

Guest Nick_N

Before you go any further be VERY AWARE I had you set up Windows to USE the O&O feature "USE LAYOUT.INI"That, in combination with the fact that O&O DEFRAGS the MFT (hidden section) at the same time, and, it will in fact do a better job than the others, is the reason for O&O useMy list is based on all steps being performed as specified and not trying to vary from it, at all.other tweaks and software use can interfere with the end resultI hesitated posting that list because I know there are those who think they know better, will shut down all sorts of services, use other tweaks and different defrag software and then ASSUME what I posted did not work.It WORKSIt only requires the list be followed and not varied from, at all1. Use the list and follow it word for word2. Get rid of all NON ESSENTIAL boot programs and items, keep the total number of processes at boot to 30 or less if possible3. Use of NOD32 as the Security software, and not their security package, just the AV product. Norton, McAfee and quite a few others KILL resources. AVG or AVAST are the only other alternates and they are not anywhere near as efficient as NOD32. You get what you pay for.4. Use the WindowsXp SP2 firewall and NOT other junk that sits there and takes up CPU cycles.. Defender kills resources as does other software. If you are behind a router for high spped, or, on dial up and on the WindowsXP SP2 firewall, you DONT need Zone-Alarm or any other security crap running. The internet boogie man is not going to get you with NOD32 running and NOD32 comes with a browser scanner. You do get what you pay for.5. Maintain the system once a month as specified

Guest crimplene

I can understand that you have no time to explain. But maybe some other guy possibly can explain why and how it is good for game performance (opposite to server performance) to have the virtual memory on the same HD as the system. I don't really get it. Of course I will try all or most of the other things you described in your post. Some of the tips sound very good. Especially disabling System Restore and some of the more arcane services.

Guest crimplene

>I hesitated posting that list because I know there are those>who think they know better, will shut down all sorts of>services, use other tweaks and different defrag software and>then ASSUME what I posted did not work.>>It WORKS>>It only requires the list be followed and not varied from, at>allI got that. I will not blame you. :-)

Crimplene,I spent 25+ years in the Air Force as a System Administrator. Retired as Chief, Informations Systems, for a number of classified networks that covered most of the Eastern Seaboard of the United States. And I've been Flight Simming since Commodore 64.DO WHAT NICKN TELLS YOU TO DO...ALL OF IT...OR DO NONE OF IT AT ALL."Picking" and "Choosing" the parts you want to do WON'T WORK !!!Respectfully submitted, of course.Rick

Rick Ryan

Guest Nick_N

Read the post above about variationsBottom line, What use is it to put the page on another drive?On a network server whereby the page will most likely be used it is important to TUNE and position it for best resultsIf you do as I specified above the page will ALWAYS end up at the END of the data on the platter. Since the user makes sure their PM is in line with their use, the ONLY thing the page is used for is for program allocation. In example.. some programs such as Adobe Acrobat Professional, when booted, look for an allocated and specified space on the page file. It only makes sure that space is available. If its not there because the user specified a "constant" page size that is too small, or, the system is not set up to use "SYSTEM MANAGED, which increases and decreases the file as needed, you can get an OOM error with that program at boot and it will exit.So the two major things that file is there for on a properly defined and built system that is not a network server, or other of that nature, is for crashes and a log file write, and, to ensure programs have the space they may wish to have allocated for its use. Otherwise the file is not used unless you run out of PMNow, if you are telling me you are running FSX on a system with 1GB of memory, then it is possible optimizing the file and its location MAY help but I would never fly or use a system that required the page file in ANY operation. I would increase PM before I would bother moving the page around.Moving it therefore becomes an operation that nets you absolutely nothing, other than to believe the internet story about moving it will make your system run better, which is TRUE if -and only if- certain network or lack of memory criteria are met... If it won't, why do it.:)

Guest Nick_N

Easy Falcon LOLI probably designed some the electronic systems you used during my tenure at MD and Boeing.. wont get into that one either I have been around the block and back more than once and although I am not a network admin I do know what works and does not.We cant demand people do things.. they must make their own decisions in that. I specified a list and specified that if they vary from it the results will most likely be skewed and not what I see on my systems. In that, they are free to do as they wish.I shared the info and thousands have been using it for years.. its been posted at SimV for a very, very long time.Can more be done? Sure! Most of it is in FSX though. Setting up the add-ons, selecting the right ones, knowing where FSX issues are and how to overcome them is where the rest of the battle is fought.So lets not come down on people because they question. I am from the same military background in following rules and outline but my service in the private sector has taught me to allow people to be themselves and make their own choices. :)

HAHAHAHAHAHA You could have saved yourself a packet by buying the 'Flightzone 02 Portland scenery and enjoyed as much as you have talked about here AND had wonderful frame rates too!!!!http://www.flightscenery.com/products.htmIt just shows what CAN be done and isn't!!Vauchez was a saint as far as I am concerned and his scenery has not been equalled on ANY FSX scenery yet.Oh I forgot to say that it's a FS9 scenery.................oooooooooooops(Ducks away from flying FSX'ers) ;)Have a look at this..... http://jeff.lumacs.net/Do-27FlyinRoundPortland.wmv

Dave Taylor gb.png

>HAHAHAHAHAHA You could have saved yourself a packet by>buying the 'Flightzone 02 Portland scenery and enjoyed as much>as you have talked about here AND had wonderful frame rates>too!!!!>>http://www.flightscenery.com/products.htm>>It just shows what CAN be done and isn't!!>>Vauchez was a saint as far as I am concerned and his scenery>has not been equalled on ANY FSX scenery yet.>>Oh I forgot to say that it's a FS9>scenery.................oooooooooooops>>(Ducks away from flying FSX'ers) ;)>>Have a look at this.....>http://jeff.lumacs.net/Do-27FlyinRoundPortland.wmvYep, FlightScenery Portland is excellent! But until someone does the entire world like this...........FSX is the next best thing!It's scenery such as the Portland, and a few specific aircraft; that's the reason I've kept FS9. But for all my sim flying around the Mountain West, I just can't stand FS9, as it now looks so "lame" in comparison to the much improved higher res textures of FSX, that come standard. Unfortunately, Flight Scenery Portland, and a few FLY Tampa airports that I have, are like Flight Unlimited. Just too little of an area....L.Adamsonedit: and BTW, I like flying my FS2004 SF260 at Portland, but the FSX version of the SF260 is much better with it's bump mapping, and farther improved flight model.

Guest wyldmagik

Nick,Do you know if anything deslected regarding services, or other, in your list of what you personaly do, affect or could de-stable any network application like ASX etc running from another PC?I just want to make sure so that if anything does happen that I can rule out changes I have tried from process of elimination.Cheers,James.