Sign in to follow this  
raynuss

Scenery.cfg

Does adding scenery in FSX work the same way it did in FS9? I added some scenery and used the in game scenery library to activate them, but none of them show up in the scenery.cfg in either location (in the Documents and Setting location or under the Microsoft Games location). The scenery shows in the Scenery Library in the game, but I'm not sure that it's really installed. I used to install all my scenery manually in FS9.

Guest firehawk44

The scenery.cfg in your main FSX folder is not changed but must not be deleted. I have the Vista OS and FSX SP2 installed and my scenery.cfg (the one that's changed through the scenery library) is located in c:/program data/Microsoft/FSX. (That's Program Data, not Program Files). I believe those who use FSX SP1 and the XP OS, the location is different and apologize for not having that info available.Best regards,Jim

I'm using XP with FSX SP2 installed. I did a search of my entire computer and found two FSX scenery.cfg files that are identical and neither one of them has my additions in them. This is really baffling. How do you manually add new scenery to the scenery library?

RaynussThis what I do, I add a folder (describing the scenery) manually to the FSXaddon scenery folder. See this example for the Faroe Islands:V:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XAddon SceneryFaroeIslands. in this folder there are 2 sub-folders 1. Scenery (bgl) and 2. Texture (bmp, dds) and I copy files manually to them as apropriate. I the activate or deactivate that scenery in the scenery tab in FSX. There are other ways but this is very simple and can be reversed at any time.RegardsPeter Hayes

Here's a nice trick. This is for Windows XP. Enable your hidden folders to show hidden folders. Go into Documents and Settings, All Users, Application Data, Microsoft, FSX. In there you will find the scenery.cfg Double click and open up to verify. Now close it, right click on it and create a shortcut. Take that shortcut icon and put it in your main FSX directory. Put your folders back into hidden mode. Next time you want to update the scenery.cfg just open the shortcut. No need to go through all of the above again.Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

Guest firehawk44

"I'm using XP with FSX SP2 installed. I did a search of my entire computer and found two FSX scenery.cfg files that are identical and neither one of them has my additions in them. This is really baffling. How do you manually add new scenery to the scenery library?"Okay, I just did a search on the AVSIM forums and for the XP OS, the scenery.cfg should be located in your All Users folder, not your User name folder. Make sure you have your system set to see hidden files. This is why you probably didn't get the modified scenery.cfg in a search of your system. It's in a hidden folder as I stated above.Jim

Jim, thank you, thank you, thank you, I finally found the file in All Users as you said. I never would have looked there without your suggestion, I have my system set to see hidden files, but when I did the search the search options were set to ignore hidden folders so the search never found it. Now that I know where it is, I can alter it as I did with FS9. Thanks again. Ray