Sign in to follow this  
RFields5421

FSX Repair Impact on Third Party Add-Ons

Guest byoung

Has anybody done a FSX Repair from the DVD? What impact does it have on third party add-ons? Any major issues to be concerned about? Do you have to re-install all add-ons? Selected add-ons? What about having to re-install FSX SP1 and SP2 again?Thanks!Barry

None at all, Barry. The "Repair" option will only replace default files that've been altered......unless your addon itself replaced any of the default files, which is not only a horrible practice, but quite silly, since it affects all aircraft, and not all of them in a good way... :-erks

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest byoung

Thanks Bill.I did the repair and I still have the annoying sqare glow around the runway lights.ANYONE have any ideas?Barry

I did the DVD repair. I had changed some textures so that I could have real-world airlines instead of default. In folders where I had renamed original textures and replaced textures with original names,the repair switched them back but did not erase anything. I had one addon plane that the repair didn't do anything to. This was before I had installed SPs so I can't address that. SPs don,t seem to be a big problem as long as you are careful. Is the DVD repair as good as a fresh install...? All I know is that I don't remember it erasing anything I had added. Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

>Thanks Bill.>>I did the repair and I still have the annoying sqare glow>around the runway lights.>>ANYONE have any ideas?>>Barry>>Yes, there are dozens of threads on this subject.One of your third party addons has replaced a default file and is the cause of the problems.FSX Repair will not fix that issue because FSX thinks YOU knew what your were doing when you replaced that default file and do not want it changed.Look in the effects folder. Look for any file without a default date - should be 8/22/2007 for SP2, or May 2007 for SP1, or May, June, July or August 2006 for the original release of FSX.Move any other effects files to a temporary folder.Run repair and as you copy the other files back - be very careful to not overwrite any default flies unless you know exactly what that file does.Also check the Texture folder and make sure the halo.bmp file is the default file 342KB in size dated 5/12/2006.An unpleasantly large number of addons replace that file which has a universal impact on lights in FSX.Oh, and yes - running repair has the practical effect of removing many of the critical bug fixes in SP1 and SP2. Both need to be rerun after Repair