Sign in to follow this  
Jim Padgett

POOF- GONE

Guest JIMJAM

Just a reminder to put all your addons on a external 2nd drive or disc.Last night just bought the RealAir Spitfire.1ST flight when BAM....Hard freeze.Reboot and saw the dreaded NTLDR missing message.:-hang 6 month old 150g Raptor well maintained HD DOA.My good friend owns a computer store and said EVERYTHING was LOST...It could be possibly recovered but would be a major effort and take time.We are talking FS9 with $500+ in addons and FSX with close to the same.I am saying BY to FS9 although I still flew it the most.To reload al would take days. I have been reinstalling for the last 5 hours. Still waiting for emails for 1/2 the stuff I bought so I can reload.I sure wished all were as easy to reinstall as Flight1.So good by FS9......BACK EM UP!

Guest NoobPilot

Ouch! Sorry to hear that!

Guest JIMJAM

It eventually happens to EVERYONE.I have most all I want to reload back in. The FS9 planes I brought over in pieces and parts I am leaving behind.I am a little dissapointed.My brand new 150g raptor drive with a fresh install of windows with nothing but FSX loaded is no faster than the last identical HD with over 100 gigs loaded and bloated with alot of garbage.The initial load maybe a little faster but as soon as I load MytrafficX, that will slow it down really bad.Oh well, at least I do not have a screen filled with icons.....

Spend a little more bread and get yourself Norton Ghost, Acronis, O&O Disk image or equivalent software and back up your important partitions. All the pain goes away real quick with a simple restore operation. Been there done that like many of us.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

NTLDR does mean a system file or files are toasted, but there is a very good chance that only means you can't boot the drive.You should be able to connect to another PC and recover most of your data.You may need to $$ a data recovery product but I wouldn't count all as lost... unless the head crashed or something really bad physically happened to the drive.