Sign in to follow this  
bnic

These settings made a big difference

Todd, I'd be curious to know what all of your settings are.I have a computer that is almost identical to yours. While my FPS are good, the continuous microstutters keep driving me back to FS9.

NAX669.png

Guest Nismo35

Nick, I'll post the pre-render results when I'm back in Megascenery later in the week. Maybe I'll do a quick flight later. Updated FTX Blue with their SP1 and boy is that impressive. Bush flying with a ton of extra grass airfields and the exploration involved in finding them is my new challenge. Most gorgeous scenery out there imho if any of you aren't aware of it. Mike - I'll post exact settings when I'm on the FSX pc. Off the top of my head...nHancer settings as Nick recommends1680x1050AF checkedAA unchecked (nhancer overrides)Scenery:Large100 (FTX, 70 for Megascenery)761 (Both scenery packs at 1m)forget Weather - HighTraffic 35-40% Airline and GA48-50% auto and boatPerformance is usually pretty good for me even with the high traffic settings (MyTrafficX). The only two Airports that I frequent that really hit the FPS is LAX and Sydney - FPS could drop to 16-17, otherwise I'm pretty happy with the performance.

Guest Nismo35

Hey Nick,Tried out the both the pre render and multicore settings in nHancer...pre render to 1 gave a few more frames, but the the medium to long distance textures were refreshing way too often and didn't look right so went back to 3. Moving to multicore with XP did nothing, it was exactly the same. The one setting that made a huge difference was turning vertical sync OFF. With it off, I was flying in the LA basin with 26 fps locked with barely a bobble below until I was on final at LAX where I was getting the usual 18-22 fps. Also, texture bandwith multi showed no difference at 40, 70, or 80. The only other tweaks I'm going to try are the mip bias and bufferpools. Overall, I'm very happy with the performance of the system. Now that I'm back to smooth flying in LA, I'm happy and don't need many changes.Thanks again for all your help. NHancer really brought out much better AA and color, and now the plane models and scenery, especially FTX, are so beautiful!

Guest Nick_N

As with all tweaks, there is no such thing as 'one size fits all' with the exception of certain settings I always use as a baseline and only vary on a few areasVS/off forces tearing on my system and although it can assist in some heavy hitting areas, the visual quality loss is not worth the change for me. Since I am already running a 768MB 384bit card and a very fast supporting system, VS/off does not present any significant performance advantage so I leave it locked for better visual quality. It will restrict frames to the Vertical Refresh rate of the monitor. Most LCD is 60-75 and therefore it presents on restriction on needed frames.TBM is another area which may or may not help. I run 80. Below that I see blured textures popping into the scene, above that I start to see stutters so the sweet spot for my rig and FSX settings I run is 80. That setting keeps the textures sharp as far as I can seeBP is an area you need to be careful if you do not have any overhead above 512 VM. If I do not run at least 50M (50000000) I will seemicro-stutters flying directly over (approach to small airfield) or in turns over a large amount of trees with AG slider 100%. BP too high without the extra memory available can cause spikes and other VC OOM visual anomolies. With a 512 card I would be careful with anything above 20M. The use of SP1 or SP2/Acceleration changed things too. Before SP2 I would use the tweak SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT and calibrate it based on the TBM value however with SP2 that no longer works. Small Parts Reject Radius stopped working with SP2 as well.It all comes down to what works for your system. After SP2 the only changes I make to the config are TBM, WideViewAspect, HideInfoText, DisablePreload and Bufferpools. Everything else has remained the same in both driver and FSX settings.

Nick, if you dont mind, a quick link to your most recent Nhancer setting recommendations.I know I have one bookmarked, but I am not sure if its current. I am running the most recent nvidia drivers for my card (see spec) and right now not using Nhancer. Its running great, and looking great, but I would like to give it a try. Thanks if you have time..Danon O.

Guest Hedgehog

Quick question on nHancer...When I duplicate the profile (using the latest downloaded version of the program) it does not place an executable (FSX.exe) into the executable box...Do I need to add the "fsx.exe" into the box? Thanks...Steve in Kansas

Guest Nick_N

The latest version does completely away with the duplicate profilesI do not use FS9 so my knowledge of that one is limited to what I have read elsewhereI see no harm in doing that if leaving it blank does not work... you should know if is did or not. One very clear sign is the text in the frame counter will have a bit of shadowing to it and look different with 4 or 8xS AA enabled.. at least it does with FSX

I tried Nhancer a few months ago and it locked me up in Vista Ultimate 64 on which my Quad ProcessorSLI4GB Server runs...After reading all of this thread top to bottom I decided to give her another try so I installed the latest Nhancer 2.4.1 and made most of these latest changes recommended above:(TBM80PR1Multicore)as well as most of the unchanged recommendations that came off the link...FSX(Scenery = Large10076m1m2.xLDTSO Ext DenseAD very densemedium)FSX(Graphics = FR unlimitedNo AAAF AnisoGT Very Highadv anim)FSX(Weather = Cloud Draw 60 Det Clouds Med)FSX(Traffic = AT30GA10AVD LowRV12SF50LB50) I just have to say this has made a very big difference in fps, but as many have said before it's the perfect smoothness both in the air and on the ground that has made me so happy now...The deep enhanced color was a real surprise and ground detail even way out is really amazingly sharp... This was no little improvement, this was the single biggest fpssmoothnesscolorand detail change I have seen and has simply dwarfed the improvements SP1 and SP2 provided...As a ServerPC repair business owner who has worked on Mainframes to mom and pop pc's for the last 22 years I'm comfortable with FS's long history of improvement tweaks going way back but really I have to say again these Nhancer settings made this system sing..Before I go I also have to add there is nothing that kicks FSX in gear more than Quad Processors running in harmony with Dual XFX 8800GT AlphaDog Graphics Boards which are running in SLI Mode... These factory OC'd Hotrods with 512mb DDR3, Clock Rate of 670MHz, Mem Clock 1.95GHz, Oops sorry no hardware here but my point is there is some great Graphics gear out there that on a nice new quality Mobo with the fast PCI-E2.0 bus, simply makes FSX everything it was intended to be, and add that to the wonderful GEXUTX USA LandclassGIS Based RoadwayRailway packages, that to me were worth far more than they cost, and a person can really enjoy flying again...Lastly I have to say no matter how great the hardware, all machines are different as Nick has said, and we still balance our Graphics settings in FSX... For this Server I still have, Heavy, RainyCloudy, real-time downloaded weather, still puts a big hit on even this system dropping me from a consistent unlimited fps that swings almost too fast to read from 55 to 100 fps all the way down to 18 to 24 while descending in Spot View into KSEA SeaTac in Seattle Washington... I've tried locking FPS at various numbers but on this system for whatever reason it seems to restrain it and it just seems to breath better in unlimited... This system like most others jerked, like the guys explained above, even at high fps rates, until last night when I followed all of your recommendations and added Nhancer... Those guys compiled some cool code with Nhancer...Thanks you guys...