Sign in to follow this  
Guest grapesh

Are Bombs & Guns OK in FSX?

Guest BlueRidgeDx

Oh come on! Seriously?Its ridiculous to assert that the purchase of a commercially available entertainment title would lead to any of the things you mentioned. Not that I put it past some local Barney Fife to play hero if he saw what he thought to be a muslim getting flight training in the wake of 9/11. But there's no way an FBI investigation would gain traction from such a baseless accusation. And there's no way that such activity would get you arrested either.Further, DARPA is not responsible for the DAFIF database, it is the responsibility of the NGA. And the data is not classified, its For Official Use Only, and not publically available.So where are the hordes of Falcon4, LOMAC, and CFS owners locked up? Guantanamo? Surely anyone who's interested in delivering some CBU-87's by flying pop-up maneuver to a 20 degree LALD delivery MUST be a threat to national security, right?Last time I checked, no red-blooded, apple pie eating Americans have ever been pulled over and arrested while on the way to their son's Little League game, simply because they play Falcon 4 or FSX in their free time. Its funny that you should mention paranoia...

Guest grapesh

>>With regard to the issue of screenshots of civilian airliners>being shot down:>>While it sounds like a good idea to prevent such behavior, I>don't think its necessary. Its distasteful enough an act that>it simply won't be prevalent. Thats why, even though its>currently possible, we don't see screenshots of airliners>crashing or playing kamikaze. On the rare occasion that>somebody actually posts something like that, they're>immediately attacked, and they don't post stuff like that>anymore. Problem solved.>I'm not talking about little Johnny. I'm talking about multitudes of hyper-hysterical left, right, whatever, media, quadrupled by the army of bottom-feeding bloggers, every one of them hungry for a cheap scandal. How do you think Microsoft would repel all of these civil rights groups, moms against game violence, and others flaming the game and filing lawsuits, because of a "controversial in-game footage" shown on Youtube.

You are really taking all of this WAY too seriously! In almost every reply you have made in this thread you have either told someone what they should or shouldn't do or have tried to argue every point. Give it a rest man! Its only a game for cryin out loud. I think you are being rediculous, come on seriously, you not being rational (all your previous words).

Jim Wenham

Guest BlueRidgeDx

Considering the shear volume of violent games, and the gratuitousness of the violence depicted, I hardly think that FSX would garner the attention of individuals/groups you mention.They have their hands full with games like Resident Evil 4, Grand Theft Auto, and God of War. You simply can't compare FSX to games that depict sex with prostitutes, drug use, corruption, and murder.Check out this link to see where the "hyper-hystericals" are focusing their attention:http://www.gamespot.com/news/6140463.html

Guest BlueRidgeDx

I never told anyone what they should or shouldn't do. I consistently asked why some people are intent on imposing their will on others by advocating the removal of support for weapons in FS.Yes, it IS "a game for crying out loud"...and thats been my point all along.

Actually you have it wrong. Its not about the removal of the weapons its about the addition of them.

Jim Wenham

Guest BlueRidgeDx

Right. Go back and actually read the thread. The ability is already there. People are arguing that it shouldn't remain there. I'm arguing that it should.

>Right. Go back and actually read the thread. >>The ability is already there. People are arguing that it>shouldn't remain there. I'm arguing that it should.Then you are sorely misinformed. FSX has no weapons support, unless you consider flour bombs weapons.There's a LOT more to a weapon than simply simulating the twinkle at the end of a barrel or an explosion. A LOT. FSX doesn't support it, and most of us believe it shouldn't.As for my first post... all fact. Shows how little you know about what does and doesn't happen in this "free" country we live in.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Certainly is fact. Fs2002 was delayed if I recall a couple months after 9/11 and there was some talk about it even not being released.The paranoia was certainly not here in the flight sim crowd. I breathed a sigh of relief when it was finally released.http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Guest BlueRidgeDx

>As for my first post... all fact. Shows how little you know>about what does and doesn't happen in this "free" country we>live in.Thanks, I remember it quite clearly. I remember a few paranoid people making accusations and a lot of rhetoric floating around. In the end, nothing came of it. The release was delayed to remove the WTC, and the unwarranted accusations leveled at the franchise were dismissed. What does that have to do with anything?>There's a LOT more to a weapon than simply simulating the twinkle>at the end of a barrel or an explosion. A LOT. FSX doesn't support>it, and most of us believe it shouldn't.You are not the majority, you're part of a vocal minority. There's a difference.I know fully what is involved in simulating weapons, weapon delivery, bomb ballistics, weapon effects, and guidance. I'm involved in that very process for new combat simulator.The fact remains, FSX allows you to drop an object, assign that object unique flight dynamics, display any number of visual effects when the object strikes the ground, and display a separate model at the point where the object strikes.Out of the box, ACES chose to allow users to drop a sack of flour that goes "poof" when it hits the ground.Very easily, third party developers can add content that instead allows you to drop an iron bomb that goes "boom" when it hits the ground, and leaves a simulated crater.Using the mission system's triggers, it is possible to simulate even more related events, such as the removal of scenery objects when struck, or their replacement with a "damage model".And if there is any doubt remaining, check out the VRS website and read about how they got Air-to-Air missiles to properly track AI aircraft.So to use your words: "shows how much you know..."

Guest grapesh

There have been many questions of FS being a "terrorist training software" after 9/11, one of them mentioned in next branch of this post. You think it's ridiculous, I think so too. But we live in the world where not every one is fond of aviation. How many people die in car crashes every day but headlines are all about "another small plane crash"! Resident Evil? God of War? - everyone recognizes it as fiction. For many, even GTA world is not a reality either! But aviation, flying - it is what's always above your head, it is what is waiting for you or your dearest and nearest on the next trip. Every time people see an airliner flying "too low", they get uncomfortable feeling inside. And that's why it is scary for a public, when "as real as it gets" meets carpet bombing, air-to-air missiles and downtowns on fire.In every situation, there's always someone who uses our freedoms irresponsibly, so there should be a prevention mechanism. In my opinion, clear separation between weapons on and off is the only way to bring FS and CFS as close as possible.

Guest BlueRidgeDx

>Shows how little you know about what does and doesn't happen in>this "free" country we live in.And please, enlighten me regarding your usage of quotes around the word FREE.

" How many people die in car crashes every day but headlines are all about "another small plane crash"! "As far as I know it is about 40,000 deaths in car crashes a year in the US and about 500 in Ga aviation.But guess who grabs the headlines.....As an interesting side note:I fly my Baron with two other partners. A car full of 16 year old's decided to drive their car on a rural road at 100 mph a few months ago-they ended up flying off the road and landing in a certain person's house-my flying partners! Luckily no one was killed-but the devastation to my partners house was considerable.Did this make national headlines? I bet a small plane crashing into someone's house would have. Quite a double standard....Then again I drove to work the other day and witnessed a driver next to me reading a book while driving (lets not get on the glued on cell phones to the ears). Granted a car is only 65-70 mph-but is that different from an airplane? After all the lanes that seperate cars are only a few feet....http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Guest BlueRidgeDx

>In every situation, there's always someone who uses our>freedoms irresponsibly, so there should be a prevention>mechanism. Wow. YGBSM!You'd like to curtail my freedom in the name of preserving my freedom?As for the rest of it:You can't have it both ways regarding violence in games. On one hand you say that screwing hookers and then robbing them in GTA is ok because its fake. On the other, you say weapons in FS is wrong despite the fact that there is no associated violence.

Guest UlfB

>>Shows how little you know about what does and doesn't happen>in>>this "free" country we live in.>>And please, enlighten me regarding your usage of quotes around>the word FREE.>Hi,Sorry for hijacking an answer.Your'e perception of freedom is dependant of your culture and the actual environment that you live in. For example: A white person living in South Africa 50 years ago, probably would say that he is a free person. At the same time a black person probably wouldn't agree.I'm living in a small town in Sweden, but still I would guess that my perception of freedom will differ a lot from some other residents, due to economics or other reasons.In many free democracies, like US and Sweden, you could always find some minorities that doesn't share your own perception of freedom.If you and I don't recognise that our own perception of freedom is dependant on our culture, we might easily become a threat to other peoples freedom, that is people that doesn't share our culture.Ulf B