Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

Wish landings were a little better

I don't have too many complaints about FS9/X. Matter of fact, I enjoy it quite a bit (got a new 24" LCD monitor and now my 172 panel looks like my REAL 172 panel....fantastic..) anyway, something that bothers me is landings in FS. In real life, landing a Skyhawk is really about the most challenging part of flying. I don't know how many times I've bounced that sucker, side loaded the gear or generally just botched the landing so bad that I didn't know how I did not break the plane. In FS, fire up a 15kt cross wind (quite frequent here in Kansas) and try some landings in FS. You can pretty much land the plane sideways and slide down the runway with no ill effect. Perhaps it is the damage modeling in FS or ACES focused more on all the other stuff and no so much on landing challenges. Wouldn't it be great to be able to model sideload or perhaps have the possibility of slipping a tire off the rim while landing? I don't know. I think there is still quite a bit left to do for "some" of the realism stuff in FS. I would love some more realistic sounds when landing, or some way to grade your landings and at least make it a little more tough to get down.Anyway, just some thoughts. Still love my simulator though.. :)Dondo

Guest JIMJAM

Get one of the RealAir planes and learn what stick and rudder are all about.Turn up the realism settings and mkae sure your fps is as high as you can get it.If you are churning at 10-15 fps, you lose all fluidity. The Flight model feels alot more nervous as you pass the 25 and up.In real life I have hundreds of hours in the 152-172-182 ect and can land them trim/throttle with no stick so they are not very difficult.The MS model while being a little nervous feeling in pitch,the landing stall phase feels thick or as if the plane is over weight.Take all the weight out of it ecxept for a little fuel,add some wind/turbulence.Also ActiveSkyX has more realistic winds and air has a more realistic feel.I fly the WW2 warbirds and I can tell you that even for a veteran stick, you have your hands full.

Guest Sirocco

>and can land them trim/throttle with no stick so they are not>very difficult.It's funny you should say that; I find it's much easier to manage pitch with trim than with the stick. I keep thinking I need to go back to the stick as it feels like I'm cheating. :(

>>and can land them trim/throttle with no stick so they are>not>>very difficult.>>It's funny you should say that; I find it's much easier to>manage pitch with trim than with the stick. I keep thinking I>need to go back to the stick as it feels like I'm cheating.>:(Do you guys fly in Kansas? :) What speed wind do you usually deal with in real world flying? I can honestly say that every time I fly, I have to deal with 15kt to 25kt winds and most of the time it is gusting around 20-30mph. Kind of takes the fun factor out when landing. Does anyone know if the Flight1 C172 for FS9 will work in FSX?

Flight1 offers the FSX C172 as a free upgrade to those who purchased the FS9 version. Your FS9 key will work in the FSX installer.

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

Guest thx1137

Yeah. Realistic aircraft damage and slip, stall and spin behaviours are somethings I would really like to see improved in FS11. The instructor got me to do my first approach with crossed controls last week and I botched it. The side load was horrible. Even just a message in FSX telling me that would be ok. Hmm. That should be pretty easy to code, might have a look at it tonight. Steven.

Landings have been one of my most enjoyable parts of FS9/FSX. While it obviously doesn't snap the gear or blow tires with side loads; at least the potential side load is easy to see with virtual cockpits; and especially with a clear canopy such as the RealAir SF260.Some addon planes actually slip real well, and react quite realistically to crosswind control. And rudder pedals are a must! Afterall, you need to "kick" that nose straight before contact with the runway! :)L.Adamson

Guest JIMJAM

I though I was a good stick and rudder guy.RealAirs,Shockwaves,Wings of Power,,Bring em on.If the Mustangs,109s and Spits bore you, Get the Aerosoft Hughes H-1b racer.Zero VIS over that massive engine.You basically look over your shoulder and keep the runway edge and your wingtip at the same distance and advance the throttleAll the while fighting the rudder and pushing the nose down.Landing on a wide runway is a challenge. Landing on a narrow one deserves a beer.

>Landings have been one of my most enjoyable parts of FS9/FSX.>While it obviously doesn't snap the gear or blow tires with>side loads; at least the potential side load is easy to see>with virtual cockpits; and especially with a clear canopy such>as the RealAir SF260.>>Some addon planes actually slip real well, and react quite>realistically to crosswind control. And rudder pedals are a>must! >Afterall, you need to "kick" that nose straight before contact>with the runway! :)>>L.AdamsonYep, got the whole setup..Saitek yoke/throttle, CH Pro pedals, TrackIR 4 and a couple of monitors....a 24" LCD and a 17" LCD for the radio stack and GPS. I'm also a huge fan of VoxATC X.....fantastic addon for FSX. Outside of building a cockpit, this is about as realistic as I can make it. Fortunately, I have a PPL as well so when the sim just isn't cutting it.....I can go "real" :)

> Outside of building a cockpit,>this is about as realistic as I can make it. Fortunately, I>have a PPL as well so when the sim just isn't cutting it.....I>can go "real" :)>For "ultimate" realism, I went ahead, and built the cockpit too! :-hah http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/189607.jpgL.Adamson

Oh man...RV-6. Drool. I got to fly an older RV-4 around a couple of years ago, but I tell you what, that 6 certainly out does the 1976 Cessna 172 I rent. Although, I'm getting checked out in a 67 Piper Cherokee next week and a Cessna Skyhawk Hawk (195 horse 172 with constant speed prop) after that.Still would rather fly your plane though.. :)