Sign in to follow this  
Fall_guy

Newbie couple of questions regarding FSX

Hi GuysI was wondering if its possible to change the FSX default Airport vehicles, .... mainly the Push-back truck although the Fuel truck would be nice also. Im looking at changing them to a More UK/European style.The other thing is How does FSX ATC determine which Runway is in use?Its just that Ive changed the wind direction in the customise Weather menu, lets say (215 degrees) expecting to take-off from runway 05L. But ATC directs me to Runway 23RMany ThanksJohn

Guest RonB49

I don't know the answer to your first question but I assume someone (not me) could modify those vehicles.>Its just that Ive changed the wind direction in the customise >Weather menu, lets say (215 degrees) expecting to take-off from >runway 05L. But ATC directs me to Runway 23RI'll assume that you mean 50L :)It seems to me that your wind/runway relationship is working properly. Setting the wind to 215* means it is blowing from 215*. Runway 23R points toward 230*. In this case, that's into the wind.Try setting your wind to 50* then you should be assigned 50L.R-

>Try setting your wind to 50* then you should be assigned 50L.>>R-Actually, setting the wind from 50 degrees should get you assigned to runway 05. However, ATC doesn't often get it right. From what I've read, there are other factors in the formula that may overrule the wind direction when ATC assigns a runway (wind strength, runway lengths, aircraft type, location of parking, etc). Even if you consider the other factors, the assignment often doesn't make sense. I've been assigned a crosswind takeoff or landing with the only other option being downwind.ArtBiostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, 4GB RAM, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FSX (SP1-SP2), Vista Home Premium 32 bit, CH Yoke & Pedals, 22" WS LCD monitor

Art

>Its just that Ive changed the wind direction in the customise>Weather menu, lets say (215 degrees) expecting to take-off>from runway 05L. But ATC directs me to Runway 23R>If wind is 215 degrees that means its blowing towards you FROM the direction of 215 degrees. In other words the wind is blowing AWAY from you in direction of 145 degrees.So ATC directing you to 23R is correct.If you change wind to 145 degrees ATC should direct you to O5L.

Matthew S

Hi Everyone,Thanks for your explainations...........it makes perfect sence now, Ive tried a few different wind directions and the assigned end of runway is as expected.............However what Ive noticed now is that Landing and Take-off are always assigned to the same runway, so I'm now curious as to what controls the runway in use assignment.Incidently the Runways in question are at EGCC (Manchester) Runways 23L and 50R and 23R and 50L (ATC only appears to use 23R and 50L)Thanks Again guys for your Time and patienceJohn

>Incidently the Runways in question are at EGCC (Manchester)>Runways 23L and 50R and 23R and 50L (ATC only appears to use>23R and 50L)My copy of FSX shows Manchester as having runways 24L/R with reciprocals 06R/L (?). ArtBiostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, 4GB RAM, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FSX (SP1-SP2), Vista Home Premium 32 bit, CH Yoke & Pedals, 22" WS LCD monitor

Art

Hi There,Yes! ..... They changed them to 23R/5L about a year or so ago now, Due to magnetic variation I think.Regards John

>Hi Everyone,>>However what Ive noticed now is that Landing and Take-off are>always assigned to the same runway, so I'm now curious as to>what controls the runway in use assignment.>The "airport" file can determine if a runway is used for takeoffs and landings (the "AFCAD" type file...in FSX it can be modified using programs like AFD and AFX). Many of the default FSX airports don't allow takeoffs/landings on all the runways, so you may need a third-party AFCAD-type file to get the FSX ATC to assign a runway that is "correct" for the current winds.Do a file library search for your airport and afcad-type file addons. They are hundreds of them here, all freeware thanks to many posters who have modified them for FSX.Also note...on the initial load of FSX, ATC will start assigning runways based on the CURRENT winds when you hit the "Fly Now" button. If you THEN change the winds AFTER the airport loads, it takes ATC some time to "catch up" and start assigning the correct runways. This can cause a massive screw up of your AI traffic at the airport. ALWAYS make your weather/wind changes BEFORE clicking the "Fly Now" button in FSX to avoid this. FalconAF

Rick Ryan

Hi ThereThanks for the Good Advice, Help and info......its really appreciatedKinds RegardsJohn