Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nick_N

Problem with terrain resolution slider

Guest AkeldamaUK

I'm having a strange problem in FSX and I wonder if anyone can explain it or offer a solution.If I change my mesh resolution slider to a lower resolution than 10m, say 78m then the change isn't saved. So I can't go for a lower resolution than 10m.But if I want to up it to 5m or 1m it does save the change.Isn't that rather odd?If I manually make the change in FSX.cfg it still won't go lower than 10m when I load up the sim again.

Is your texture resolution set to 7cm? I thought I read in a forum post somewhere that Texture Res of 7cm automatically sets the Mesh Res to 10m. For the life of me though I can't remember where I saw that. I'm pretty sure it was a post by NickN. I just read it a couple of days ago, too. I guess it'a true what they say, the mind really is the first to go.Good Luck,KailFlightSimmer since 1987C2D E6850 3.0GHz 1333FSBXFX Nforce 680i LT SLI2x XFX 8800GT 512MB SLI'd4GB Crucial Ballistix PC6400 800MHzCreative SB Audigy2 ZSUltra Xfinity 600W SLI PSUSeagate 320GB 7200RPM 16MB SATA-3GB/S HDWindows XP SP2 / FSX SP2 / FS9 SP1

Thanks for listening,

Kail

Guest AkeldamaUK

Ah yes it is set to 7cm. That's so I can see sharply defined roads.I'll have to change that and see what affect that has. Shame I'm away from my FSX rig until Sunday,Thanks for the replies.

My understanding is that with the available addons for FSX now, the only difference you will see is in the clarity of the roads if you are using Ultimate Terrain X. Their roads can display at 7cm resolution for better clarity. I don't think you will notice any difference in any other scenery item display if you change the 7cm resolution to something a bit higher.The above will change with the release of some of the new GEXn products though, from what I've gathered in forum posts. I might be wrong about the above. If so, someone feel free to pass on better info.FalconAF

Rick Ryan

Guest AkeldamaUK

I am using UTX, have USA, Canada and Europe installed. Abd GEX too*.To be honest this isn't a major problem I've having. After all when I install my new UK Generation X V2.0 photoscenery I'll be running the UK mesh at 5m.I just found it odd I couldn't move the slider any higher (or lower depending how you view things). *And FEX and ASX, I'm such an addon junkie. :)

Guest Nick_N

I run 7cm because I use 10m mesh and the sim defaults to 10m @ 7cm tex resYou should not run the mesh resolution any higher than the mesh installed. But I also notice textures even though they are 1m resolution tend to be sharper/cleaner with less LOD popping with the tex res slider at 7cm.. why, I can not say. I have thought this may be because of priorities but I am not sure. It is real though none the less because I can set to 1m and the way terrain textures respond (on my system) leaves no doubt to me there is a difference.However about GEX, and this in response to a comment and to make sure there is no confusion floating around... no... it will still be a 1m product. We are using other methods to hit the 500ft clarity mark which won't hit system performance by 1 frame or reguire any mods to the config or sliders. Same resolution, sharp clarity at lower altitude. There is a thread about GEX Europe which shows samples of the 500ft clarity at the GEX forum.

Nick,Oops! OK, sorry about the GEXn 7cm comment I made. With so many addons and forum posts, sometimes I can't drink enough caffeine to keep them all straight. As penance, I will post 100 sticky notes on my bathroom mirror to remind me not to make forum posts with advice solely from memory. Now...where'd I put that Ginko (?) Tea Bag Extract Memory Enhancer Additive? Geez...I knew I should have left myself a note about it. Time for another dose of it in my Bosco.... ;-)Rick

Rick Ryan

Guest Nick_N

>Nick,>>Oops! OK, sorry about the GEXn 7cm comment I made. With so>many addons and forum posts, sometimes I can't drink enough>caffeine to keep them all straight. >>As penance, I will post 100 sticky notes on my bathroom mirror>to remind me not to make forum posts with advice solely from>memory. >>Now...where'd I put that Ginko (?) Tea Bag Extract Memory>Enhancer Additive? Geez...I knew I should have left myself a>note about it. Time for another dose of it in my Bosco.... >;-)>>RickYou're a RIOT!!http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/190492.jpg