Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

n4gix

Lear Jet's EICAS display at night

When flying the Lear Jet at night, the EICAS display has some strange colour shadings (see attached photo). I wonder whether this is caused by my LCD monitor not being able to represent enough colours (which I doubt) or whether this looks as designed.Cheers,Siggyhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/191077.jpg

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

It's called banding and appears when something is apparent when some graphics is being processed in 16 bit color representation (say 5 bits for red, 6 bits for green, 5 bits for blue).If your screen display is already set to 32 bits, it is likely that the texture for the cockpit panel or instrument was saved in a 16 bit compressed format (e.g. DXT).

>It's called banding and appears when something is apparent>when some graphics is being processed in 16 bit color>representation (say 5 bits for red, 6 bits for green, 5 bits>for blue).>>If your screen display is already set to 32 bits, it is likely>that the texture for the cockpit panel or instrument was saved>in a 16 bit compressed format (e.g. DXT).XML gauge graphics can only be 24bit or 8bit, non-compressed. The Lear45 graphics are 8bit (Indexed).The daytime bitmap "eicas_background.bmp" is okay, but the night time variation "eicas_background_night.bmp" is horribly banded... :-erksSomeone in the Art department at ACES didn't do a very good job on this one. A touch of 'gaussian blurr' applied to the image before dithering to 8bit Indexed format would have eliminated the banding... ;)