Sign in to follow this  
Toys_R_Us

Mini-Panel View Question ?

Since the (2D Mini-Panel) is such a useful view, does anyone know how to make a direct hot-key link to this view.I know, I know, you can get there after setting it up for the F10 key (using "W") and leaving it alone. But I want to link it directly. I do have a macro keyboard I could use, but can't get there that way either except at the very start of a flight where the macro knows where you started.But I don't see a link to any fixed 2-D view in that chain (like the F9 key provides to the root first Virtual Cockpit view).Any hints ? Since I have a yoke (for flaps), I would love to put it on F8, or a keyboard macro key.Bob (Las Cruces, NM)XP-Home, With FS Genesis Terrain MeshLogitech G15 Backlit Game Keyboard and18 Programmable Macro/Keystroke KeysAsus P5N-D MotherboardIntel E8500 @ 3.16GHz (Now)CPUThermaltake MaxOrb Enthusiast CPU FanCorsir XMS2 PC6400/DDR2/800 Dual, 4GigsSATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDDEVGA Geforce 8800 GT/512 (OC'd Version)Dual Flat Panel Monitors

The guy that layed this thing out must have been told he couldn't leave on vacation to Vegas until he got something done. And that is what we got... Something !!! A very poor something.When you toggle the "S" key, when you come back around to the Cockpit Category you are left there hanging where you last left off with 1 of 9 views, some of which have a view tag displayed for what seems like a fraction of a second, and some of which do not have anything usable but the work "Cockpit". Then it's up to you to figure out where you are at and how to get out of this mess with the "A" key, "S' key, F9 key, or what. You first try the hatswitch to see if you can pan. And at least that's the first clue !!!!!!!!!!Yes you can hit F9 and get back to Virtual Cockpit, but then when you use the "A" key you toggle down to the end where you hit one of 5 "W" key views that for the most part are not labeled properly, again with anything but the word "Cockpit" and you are equally lost again. So it's back to the hatswitch to see if you can pan.The "storage" of last view used is a good concept, don't get me wrong. Very useful in fact. But the total failure of providing decent quality view screen name tags which are properly named, the option to leave these tags on, and the failure to provide user defined hot-keys in the settings section to most of these views is very poor programming forsight. That's my opinion.There is no hot key support to any of the 5 views in the 2-D section, nor is there a way to create your own macro to get there. Even off the main menu, the view is locked.Oh yes... I installed UTX last night. Now there is some professionalism for ya !!!!!Bob (Las Cruces, NM)XP-Home, With FS Genesis Terrain MeshLogitech G15 Backlit Game Keyboard and18 Programmable Macro/Keystroke KeysAsus P5N-D MotherboardIntel E8500 @ 3.16GHz (Now)CPUThermaltake MaxOrb Enthusiast CPU FanCorsir XMS2 PC6400/DDR2/800 Dual, 4GigsSATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDDEVGA Geforce 8800 GT/512 (OC'd Version)Dual Flat Panel Monitors

Oh, bologna... :)Hit the bloody F10 key to instantly get to the 2d main panel, then hit the W key once for the mini-panel...Alternatively, add your own custom mini-panel to the panel.cfg file and mark it to be {Window00} with visible=1...For the main 2d panel, change it to {Window0x} where x is an available number, and set visible=0.Now, you'll be viewing the mini-panel view everytime you move to the 2d cockpit.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

"Oh, bologna..."Hit the bloody F10 key to instantly get to the 2d main panel, then hit the W key once for the mini-panel..."Not true, if you actually bother to check it out. F10 is also a "last view" key.As for the rest, Why would I want to do all that and destroy the rest of everything, even if I could figure out how to do all that ?I would agree that F9 with "A" & F10 with "W" is a reasonable alternative.But if I as a programmer could not come up with something better than this confusing mess, I'd hang it up. No wonder there have been so many questions about all this in this very forum over the last 2 years while I sat on the sidelines reading about FSX problems related to this very matter. I made a statement, and I'm stickin' to it. PP... You figure out what that means. It's just my opinion.Bob (Las Cruces, NM)XP-Home, With FS Genesis Terrain MeshLogitech G15 Backlit Game Keyboard and18 Programmable Macro/Keystroke KeysAsus P5N-D MotherboardIntel E8500 @ 3.16GHz (Now)CPUThermaltake MaxOrb Enthusiast CPU FanCorsir XMS2 PC6400/DDR2/800 Dual, 4GigsSATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDDEVGA Geforce 8800 GT/512 (OC'd Version)Dual Flat Panel Monitors

I'll stick with bologna. Here's some cheese to go with it... :)If you open the J:UsersYourNameAppDataRoamingMicrosoftFSXControlsStandardXML file, you'll find these four entries: F9VIEW_CAMERA_SELECT_1F10VIEW_CAMERA_SELECT_2F11VIEW_CAMERA_SELECT_3F12VIEW_CAMERA_SELECT_4Note that the "default assignments" are for the generic VIEW_CAMERA_SELECT_# entry...The actual control assignment to each of the above is made in the FSX Cameras.cfg file, and may also be re-assigned in the FSX Options/Settings/Controls dialog.In the Cameras.cfg file, these are defined by:HotKeySelect=1 (corresponds to VIEW_CAMERA_SELECT_1, which is the Virtual Cockpit.HotKeySelect=2 (corresponds to VIEW_CAMERA_SELECT_2, which is the -wait for it!- 2d Panel View.HotKeySelect=3 (corresponds to VIEW_CAMERA_SELECT_3, which is the Locked Spot View.HotKeySelect=4 (corresponds to VIEW_CAMERA_SELECT_4, which is the Top Down View. IOW, you have complete control over what camera is assigned to which of the buttons F9, F10, F11, F12 either by modifying the Cameras.cfg file, or......by simply using the dialog in Options/Settings/Controls menu while the sim is running... ;)As a matter of fact, using the StandardXML file, you could quite literally remap the entire sim to use whatever keys you wanted to control which... That's how flexible the FSX system is! :-lol

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Bill,Thanks for taking the time.This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for to get started.I did load the SDK (from DVD1) and both SDK (FSX SDK SP1A & FSX SDK SP2) updates last night from the MS site. I don't suppose many people know that You need a "Google" search to find them however. They have been updated twice. They both overwrite the previous SDK and should be used only if the corresponding service pack has been installed..http://www.fsinsider.com/downloads/Pages/F...tKitUpdate.aspxhttp://www.fsinsider.com/downloads/Pages/F...-SP2Update.aspxI'm certainly not knocking the prowess of this simulator. It is truly a modern marvel, and FSX is a miraculous piece of work. And yes, the ability to customize it as desired is wonderful. I am working up to that.I just felt it was a little weak in the area I mentioned, as delivered. Actually not a big thing in comparison to the overall picture. Frankly, I'm thrilled with what it is, and so far frame rates have been no issue on my new machine after one simple round of recommended tweaks. I kick out 44 most of the time.On another front, I did install MyTraffic last night. It uses files from the updated SDK for it's Menu Tool Bar which must correlate with the main service pack installed (according to their forum). That's why the SDK updates are needed as I'm at SP2 now and without Acceleration. Their dll.xml file must also correctly to the SDK's path as installed, for the "Tool" item to appear in the main program flight time menu. Since some of their instructions were prepared incorrectly related to this, it has been quite a headache producing issue.Looking at your web site, it may interest you to know that Las Cruces is the home of the upcoming Rocket Racing League, and the new spaceport (for low cost orbital flight) is just north of here on White Sands restricted airspace with Las Cruces as the main airport hub. A new county tax just passed to help make this happen. Both have had numerous promotional events out at the LC "International" airport, with a big one coming up soon. Maybe even a RRL race I believe.Bob (Las Cruces, NM)XP-Home, With FS Genesis Terrain MeshLogitech G15 Backlit Game Keyboard and18 Programmable Macro/Keystroke KeysAsus P5N-D MotherboardIntel E8500 @ 3.16GHz (Now)CPUThermaltake MaxOrb Enthusiast CPU FanCorsir XMS2 PC6400/DDR2/800 Dual, 4GigsSATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDDEVGA Geforce 8800 GT/512 (OC'd Version)Dual Flat Panel Monitors