Sign in to follow this  
Guest PhilC

Any good global texture sets?

Guest 413X3

Are there any good global texture sets out there? I am not really interested right now in a Ultimate Terrain type program, too many issues with it for FS9. What I want are just better texture sets than the defaults, especially the bland grass, farms and desert.ThanksAlex

GEX will fix the deserts problem and the night textures are much better then default. Also has some nice farm and grass textures. The autogen placement is also well improved on their textures.As for UTX, it's a great product for FSX and I'd highly recommend it. But it doesn't replace textures (well in some urban areas it does), its a landclass product.

>As for UTX, it's a great product for FSX and I'd highly>recommend it. But it doesn't replace textures (well in some>urban areas it does), its a landclass product.Yes...a great product. But it is primarily a terrain enhancing product, not a landclass one. It does contain some landclass applications that enhance urban areas very nicely, but it's primary function is to relocate terrain features in FSX (shorelines, lakes, rivers, roads, etc) so they are in their real-world locations. Other dedicated third-party landclass products (Scenery Tech, FS Genesis, etc) will then determine which textures get placed over most of the UTX terrain areas (the textures come from either the default FSX itself, or other third-party texture addons like GEXn). Terrain Mesh addons (FS Genesis, FS Dreamscapes, etc) complete the process by providing more realistic terrain elevations to the scenery.You can "layer" third-party landclass products between the included UTX landclass entries in the FSX Scenery Library so you can use them without excluding the UTX Urban landclass. This way, you get the UTX urban landclass with it's associated textures included in UTX, while still using third-party landclass for outside the Urban areas. It's a great combination.FalconAF

Rick Ryan