Sign in to follow this  
Guest jonny-jo

Backing up FSX

Guest jonny-jo

Hi everybody, Is it worthwhile to keep an up to date backup of the complete FSX folder on a seperate HD. If the original becomes corrupted, can it be overwritten and still be functional? or if problems occur does it mean a complete uninstall and new clean install?Appreciate your thoughts on this.Jonny

Unfortunately from my experience better to keep a current image of your drive for restore.Vista has trashed my computer so many times since I have had it-the images have gone back painlessly in minutes-what you are speaking of means half your add on's won't work requiring complete reinstall.GeofaMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Backing up is essential, I've so many add-ons and freeware thanks to the kind people of Avsim, reinstalling would be a voyage of discovery lasting days. For a while I used Norton Ghost, but recently switched to Acronis True Image. Both good and capable products.

Guest jonny-jo

Thanks Guys, I didn't know about about that, I've had a look at the reviews and the Acronis true image 11 looks the business. I also have Vista 64(and had some problems), having got 2 hard drives with some of the software on the 2nd drive, the other is dedicated to FSX so I guess I could take an image of both drives?Jonny

Guest jonny-jo

Thanks very much for your advice, I'll do just that.Jonny