Sign in to follow this  
Guest Teejman

Help with screen freeze

Guest Teejman

Sorry if this has been answered before.Just got a Vista home premium PC, installed FSX deluxe and the Acceleration pack only. When I start FSX I get a message saying "the colour scheme has been changed to Vista Basic" After 10-30 minutes of use the screen freezes but I can still hear the engines, opening the task manager it shows "FSX not responding" but my CPU is running at 40-50%. I have to "end task to exit". Most of the settings are mid range, filtering at bi-linear and anti-aliasing off. I have tried anisotropic filtering and aliasing on but this just seemed to reduce frame rates slightly.Any ideas what the problem is? I have downloaded all the Vista updates and graphics card drivers. My system is as follows: Ipower x9800Intel 9300 core 2 quad processor6GB DDR22 x Gforce9800GT with 1 gig on each.Any suggestion on a solution gratefully received.Thanks.

Guest firehawk44

Are you using the Vista 32bit or 64bit version? The 32bit version will only manage up to 4GB of memory. If it's the 32 bit version you need to implement the procedures in the OOM (Out of Memory) post here in the FSX forum (i.e., run BCD Edit) to increase the amount of memory your CPU can use. I would also hope you defragged your HD's after installing FSX. FSX is scattered all over your HD after installation. Some other possible solutions: delete FSX.cfg and restart FSX and let the config rebuild; check system Events and see if it shows exactly what program or file that caused the crash. If it was your graphic card, reinstall the drivers. Hope this helps.Jim

You got the "color scheme" message because FSX disables Vista Areo. It is not always an error or a problem. Personaly I have Areo and user account control turned off. If you had an OOM error, I think you would have gotten a message to that effect. The porblem of a blank screen with the sound still going has not happened to me in a long time. I wish I could say it's because I've spent a lot of time trying to tune my system, but I don't know. There are some things different about Vista.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

>2 x Gforce9800GT with 1 gig on each.Surely you have Vista 64 bit with that 6GB RAM system. If you have 32 bit Vista with the 2GB video memory, I would expect problems, but Vista SP1 might help. Removing one of the video cards might also help.ArtBiostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, 4GB RAM, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FSX(SP1-SP2), Audigy SE sound, Vista Home Premium 32 bit, CH Yoke & Pedals, 22" WS LCD monitor

Art

Guest Teejman

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.Jim, I am on a 64 bit system. I did as you suggested and deleted fsx.cfg and it seems to be working ok now. I have been flying for an hour without a problem. Thanks again.

Guest Teejman

Help again please. Had to exchange defective computer and have the same problem on this one. I've tried deleting the config file but it didn't work this time. I've tried un-installing and re-installing, re-installing the drivers but no luck. It seems to be happening at about the 20 minute mark now. Again any suggestions gratefully received.

I wonder if your case has enough cooling capacity? The two cards have their own fans of course but the case may not be enough. You can do a Google search for a little program called SpeedFan and it will give you the temps of everything. CPU and all cores, case etc. Bob G.

Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 | Intel i-7700k  4.5 Ghz | RTX 3060 | 32GB OCZ DDR3, 1330 | 35" Curved Samsung monitor. | Windows 10 Home Pro Edition Premium | Samsung 1TB SSD | Samsung 1TB SSD |  UTLive/ P3DV5.3/ SF, AS P3D5.3  MSFS 2020.

Guest Teejman

Thanks Bob G.Funny you should say that, earlier I stumbled on something that gave the cpu (I think) temp. If I remember right it was in the low 30's. The system doesn't seem to be hot, the case is cool. I will try that Speedfan program. Thanks for the suggestion..