Sign in to follow this  

Guest bartels

In my personal experience yes, xml gauges can be quite easy. You shouldn't start with the most complex ones like those of the B747, but e.g. most Baron gauges are comparibly easy to read and to modify.Arne Bartels

Easy? Well, yes and no. I started programming for myself on my own panels (most for personal use only - freeware seems to be dying anyway :( ). I don't think there exist a true tutorial, but I'd also recomend checking the above mentioned files extensively, they are excellent and requires reading them over and over again. Every time you'll get a new relevation :)Say you want to make an engine start switch.Check out how Microsoft has done in their xml gauges/examples, 'copy' off the actual code to fit your own graphics. Check the SDK and Arne's list of variables and events. Could there be other events that suits better for your particular purpose? Try many, see what happens, if any. Build a 'reporting gauge' that displays the value/state of your switch when used. Check if using different 'formats' (rpm, enum, bool, celcius etc) has the expected result in the output.Say you want to make a fuel gauge, GA type.Again, examine the standard gauges extensively. Is there anything Microsoft missed out on? Ask yourself way of improving things. Are all possible failures taken into account (no)? Could there be a way to get the fuel needle 'shake' (yes)? Can you make it as 'innacurate' as they are in real life (yes)? How about the looks. Check how they did masking techniques, and add luminous only on the correct elements.Go for the simple stuff. Don't try to create a full overhead panel of a 747 for your first few attempts. Learn yourself how to read reverse polish notation, very easy once you get the hang of it. And obviously, keep track of the forums, save all important looking messages.Just my 2 cents.