Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ron Freimuth

FS2004 - Sounds from XML gauges ??

Does anyone know if FS2004 offers a possibility to initiate playing .wav file from XML gauges ?The reason I ask is, that I've heard that Bill Morads (R.I.P.) XMLsound gauges do not work in FS2004.Rob

>Does anyone know if FS2004 offers a possibility to initiate>playing .wav file from XML gauges ?>>The reason I ask is, that I've heard that Bill Morads (R.I.P.)>XMLsound gauges do not work in FS2004.I can confirm that the XML_Sound.gau file will not work in FS:CoF. It may well be that the updated XML will solve the issue completely and there will be no need for the 'workaround.'BillAVSIM OmbudsmanFounder and Director,Creative Recycling of Aircraft Partshttp://catholic-hymns.com/frbill/FS2002/images/fartslogo.jpg

We have found that gauges such as XML_Sound.gau which use calls to the routines of FSSound.dll or FSSound2.dll(The FS2002 version) will not load unless the sound dll is listed (=1) in the OLDMODULES section of FS9.cfg (Beware, if you have XP, FS9.cfg is in the C:Documents and SettingsUser folder area NOT in the FS2004 folder - not sure about other OS'es)We have found once that link is provided the gauges load and operate normally

What I've found is that the event toggle_afterburner, which is essential for Bill Morads xml-sound gauge to work, will instantly crash FS9; so it might not be the xml-sound.gau and/or fssound.dll that is causing problems (on it's own).The audiopanel related k-events seem to work now, so the whm-event gauge is no longer needed anyway.I am now in the process of rewriting all my gauges and modifying the standard ones . Let's just say that some gauges will have graphics from the R22 - AWESOME gauge graphics, awesome chopper, and awesome flight dynamics (initially anyway) even on full realism. Can't believe MS didn't rewrite the other planes using similar gauges to use graphics in thie same style; photoreal AND readable.Gauge programmers might want to check out the new ADF on i.e. the DC3, or the periscope on the Spirit. Some hefty cool stuff that! But! Why did MS make another ADF, yet still keep the weird DME/colocation relationship that causes all sorts of weird problems; wide&long ARC-DME to ILS not possible, TACAN is plain crazy (try out ICAO ENLI where the DME is only recieved on the ILS backcourse!)?Btw; have anyone managed to "break down" the GPS code yet? What the heck is going on in there?To Microsoft; thanks a lot for a great update.

Karl,It seems you have FS9 and are busy rewriting XML.Do i have to change all the Click-Events which use some form of Toggle Afterburner?If so, i will start changing.Do the gauges produce some click sound themselves?Jan"Procul Negotiis"

Yup, too impatient to wait, but it will arrive - some day :) When I fired up FS9 and added one of my (personal) conversions of the Baron, it would crash FS9 as soon as I hit a switch. FsSound.dll and the special xml-sound.gau was not installed, so they couldn't be blamed. I rewrote the click part to only include i.e. strobe switch, or a battery switch that have rather heavy code in it (lot's of checks and actions). The gauge would only work when I removed the afterburner event.Another rather strange thing, is that tooltips can no longer be "nested". You can't have a "parent" tooltip saying "altimeter", and a subarea defined with a tooltip saying "kohlsman knob"; even the default Baron gauges has this fault. This has to be a bug?A third oddity I noticed is that this version is rather picky on the code relation between a value tag and its associated failure tag, if any. Earlier the failures would react correctly no matter where they where placed, now they MUST be right below the value tag.A fourth one is that I tend to use mask images to cover up backlighted parts of a gauge. When double-graphics (1024 AND 640 based) was used, the mask came out in a really huge size...I haven't found any means of adding sound to a gauge yet, but I'm still looking. Hopefully someone will be able to make a C gauge that interfaces similar to xml-sound.gau, but with lot's of more sounds, loop support etc (hint hint :D) Some files in the install is named click1.wav and so fourth, but doesn't seem to have been activated yet :(

Further experience with FS9 XML and C gauges seems to indicate the following:1. The values of (A:SomeVariable, bool) previously 0 or 1 is now 0 or -1so (A:SomeVariable, bool) 1 == will always return false.and using a bool value will never use 2. It appears that at each update cycle all unassigned/invalid aircraft (A:....) variables are reset to zero. By this I mean the 3rd and 4th engine/prop/mixture/throttle variables of twin engined aircraft (presumably the 2nd as well for single engined aircraft) and the prop/piston engine variables for jet aircraft and vice versa. This means that these values are no longer available for controlling moving parts for which there is no explicit varaible in Flight Simulator, or for passing control data between XML and C compiled files as in xml-sound.gau and various imitations/extensions of it produced by other "Bi-lingual" (C and XML) gauge programmers like myself.This strikes me as a disaster for the production of more realistic visual models and gauges, unless MS have introduced some user programmable variables which can be accessed by C and XML gauges and BGL code.An example of code which no longer works is the use of the COWL_FLAPS variable in the visual model and in a control gauge to control the deployment of thrust deflectors in a jet aircraft.Trevor

>Further experience with FS9 XML and C gauges seems to>indicate the following:>>1. The values of (A:SomeVariable, bool) previously 0 or 1 is>now 0 or -1>so (A:SomeVariable, bool) 1 == will always return false.>and using a bool value will never use Value="1">So that's why their builtin handheld radio doesn't work as they thought it would...>2. It appears that at each update cycle all>unassigned/invalid aircraft (A:....) variables are reset to>zero. By this I mean the 3rd and 4th>engine/prop/mixture/throttle variables of twin engined>aircraft (presumably the 2nd as well for single engined>aircraft) and the prop/piston engine variables for jet>aircraft and vice versa. This means that these values are no>longer available for controlling moving parts for which there>is no explicit varaible in Flight Simulator, or for passing>control data between XML and C compiled files as in>xml-sound.gau and various imitations/extensions of it produced>by other "Bi-lingual" (C and XML) gauge programmers like>myself.>>This strikes me as a disaster for the production of more>realistic visual models and gauges, unless MS have introduced>some user programmable variables which can be accessed by C>and XML gauges and BGL code.>>An example of code which no longer works is the use of the>COWL_FLAPS variable in the visual model and in a control gauge>to control the deployment of thrust deflectors in a jet>aircraft.This is bad indeed. I hope a patch will come along fixing these problems; we use cowlflap for visible ice, and other "special" things to show up on the model. Except, the modelwork seem to have come to a halt :(

Guest Ron Freimuth

>Further experience with FS9 XML and C gauges seems to>indicate the following:>>2. It appears that at each update cycle all>unassigned/invalid aircraft (A:....) variables are reset to>zero. By this I mean the 3rd and 4th>engine/prop/mixture/throttle variables of twin engined>aircraft (presumably the 2nd as well for single engined>aircraft) and the prop/piston engine variables for jet>aircraft and vice versa. This means that these values are no>longer available for controlling moving parts for which there>is no explicit varaible in Flight Simulator, or for passing ..>>This strikes me as a disaster for the production of more>realistic visual models and gauges, unless MS have introduced>some user programmable variables which can be accessed by C>and XML gauges and BGL code.>>An example of code which no longer works is the use of the>COWL_FLAPS variable in the visual model and in a control gauge>to control the deployment of thrust deflectors in a jet>aircraft.>Trevor Oh oh! MS said "FS2K2 AC will work in FS2K4 if the SDK is followed". What a laugh. Most of the SDK's are so limited they define little that works or not. MS could kill all the RPN math and claim 'it's not in the SDK'. Though, they wouldn't because some is in the XML files used in FS2K2 AC. Ron