Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kobie1244

Importing photo to PSP file

Guest FelixFFDS

I presume you're trying to get the "Thorp" logo detail? (Hopefully not the reflection of some dude with a camera)One way may be to select it and paste as a new image. Zoom in and delete the non-logo pixels. Then either resize to fit properly in your texture or, with the vector drawing tools, redraw the logo completely, so you can resize it better.Felix/FFDSPegasus Aviation Design

Hey Felix-I'm the dude with the camera, and no, I'm not trying to plaster myself onto the side of my plane:-lolI think it's possible to map the fuselage in different sections and apply seperate textures to these sections. That would allow me to increase the resolution of the textures applied to the fuselage. That's what I'm working on now, but it's getting late and the Saturday Night Beers are starting to do their evil deed...:-beerchug Thanks again, FelixRobert

Guest Fly1

Robert,I am having the same problem with the Lancair shot I showed in your previous post. I have tried numerous tricks to try to get a better rez on a small logo with limited success. Maybe your alternate mapping will help.One other option you may try is creating the logo in Gmax as a plane, apply texture and carefully place it on the fuse. I tried it and it does give a crisp logo, but didn't blend with the overall texture effect on my ship. It may work better on yours.RegardsBob C.

Guest Pascal_FFG

Some very easy solutions can be applied.Easisest one being to take the highest resolution shot of only the logo you needed. You should have taken a close shot of any detailled part, would have saved time . But you didn't so ...What you should do.Paste your picture in either PSP or Photoshop.Crop the part you want to have more detailledChange resolution (basically from 72 DPI to 300 or 600 DPI)The size of your picture will increase.Thej you have several options.You can try playing with the sharpening tool so as to get the logo borders more visibleYou can play with the colors so as to enhance the specific colors.This method doesn't often give good results, especially because white color is never white but tends to gray.So, the method I use is the one that followOnce I've resized, and sharpened, I recreate the logo. No need to be very precise, just remember your final logo will be less than 100*100 pixels in your final BMP file.Here you have the resampled logo areahttp://www.avsim.com/ffg/personal/1_pascal...o_resampled.jpgSo just recreate the logo, then use it as a specific layer you'll paste in your final composition.Layer 0 being the fuselage without the logo, layer 1 being the logo only (this way you can displace, symmetrize it without altering the fuselage layer)I tried my hand on the EAA logo, and trust me or not, it didn't take me more than 15 minutes each to create the logo.Doesn't look too detailled at high resolution, http://www.avsim.com/ffg/personal/1_pascal/logo.jpghttp://www.avsim.com/ffg/personal/1_pascal/thorp_highres.jpgbut resize it down to the required size for your textures,and for sure details will be far enough. i reinjected it in your own shot to show you the potential result.http://www.avsim.com/ffg/personal/1_pascal..._reinjected.jpgNow, considering you made a high resolution file of your logo, you can improve details where needed, change color if needed (for example having the white area bluer to match the original logo on the plane, change the brightness and color of the text logo, etc ..)Hope this was helpfull. This method applies to almost any logo, but for sure the most detailled the initial shot is, the better the final result will be.Key to success is to working in higher DPI to get more details.

Pascal- Thanks for such a detailed explanation. Gotta try this right now!Robert

How do I apply the textures to my fuselage so that one side is not reversed? Robert

Guest Pascal_FFG

Apply twice...Normal side for the left side for example, then add a new layer and revert the logo accordingly for the opposite side.Just use two sets of logos... one per side

Guest Pascal_FFG

eheh, as mentionned better have the real one or the best detailled shot to get it right :-)

Wow! Thanks Kobie-Last night I figured out how to map a texture on a group of selected polys. I also got a much better resolution on my N number thanks to the advice of those that replied to the original post. I'll probably use the Thorp logo pic as a template and create a new logo. I think I have the basics figured out-now I'm working on what could be a final texture for the fuselage sides. Early tests late last night were promising...http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/24782.jpgThanks again,Robert

Guest odog

nice work on the logo.I swiped it to stick on my Cessna 195. :-)your doing good, keep it up.joe

Guest Kobie1244

If you need any other things like that.... give me hollar, and I will see what I've got for ya! :)Kobie :-wave

Well, here's where I'm at. I've been experimenting with rivet lines along with the logos. I really don't know if I can get much better with the resolution on these objects. They aren't real big to begin with...http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/25301.jpgThe trick is knowing when it's 'good enough':-) Robert

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey Robert,Looking fantastic man, awesome job! And the rivet lines look very convincing to me, I think you have found a good way of doing them. N-number and both logos looking very sharp, way to go!