Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

xml rose and arc

Hallo,May be old stuff, but in my quest to get rid off all bitmaps, i found a way to show the numbers of the nd arc and rose and let them rotate the good way:Determine the position: x="..." y="..."Rotation point: Assign these values to all 12 elements.Compose the text: 0, 3, 6, 9, 12, ....etc.And let rotate according: (A: Plane heading degrees gyro, radians) /-/The point is to add between the value tags: pi 6 / a * - in which a is 0 - 11.So this is one element (of 12) for 60 degrees:6 (A: Plane heading degrees gyro, radians) pi 6 / 2 * - /-/Adding gives the possibility to mask the cifers beyond the nd display.Together with circle's, polyline's, text etc. you will get a nice nd.Jan"Procul Negotiis"http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/65098.jpg

Very nice, Jan. I too am looking to eliminate as many bitmaps as possible and will probably end up doing something similar with my centered and decentered roses.I am building a miliraty aircraft and you should see the mess I have to use to do a proper pitch ladder. Since there's a 2000 pix max on images before they start going haywire, I have had to string together 4 separate images for rotation and translation. I'd love to use polys, but since all the negative pitch lines are dashed, it becomes impractical since each poly must be contained within a separate element making for a massive number of code lines.Do you know if there's a way to start and stop drawing polynines within the same element? i.e...Pseudo: X 0 y 0 X 50 y 0 (end line) X 100 y 0 (begin new line) X 150 y 0

Hi,I have the same problem.So it is just a lot of copy and paste and adapt the x's and y's.Jan"Procul Negotiis"

Guest Karl R Pettersen

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been playing around with the thought of using rotated text instead of a full rose on my EHSI, but never given it much thought- until now that is :)Something to be concerned with, perhaps. Have anyone done any speed comparison tests on graphics vs vector elements in xml? Also, text seem to screw up somewhat when trying different screen resolutions.

Karl,As far as i can see, no difference in fps.Notice the amount of text in the gps compared with a few text elements and a piece of nudated gps, only the flightplanline.And i think it looks good in the mfd with the transparancy tric.May be not so good in a steam driven hsi.Jan"Procul Negotiis"

Guest Skymed

For a compass rose, I just use this one in my helicopter HUD directly from the GPS:(@g:currentPageNAV) @kNAVPageDflt ==(@g:setup_ColorTerrain) if{ 0x703030 } els{ 0xF0D0D0 }(@g:setup_ColorTerrain) if{ 0 } els{ 0x080808 }(A:GPS GROUND MAGNETIC TRACK, Radians)Modified as per this one:(L:Compass,enum) 1 == 0xFF69140x000000 (A:Plane heading degrees gyro, radians)The LVar is just a button I use to turn it on and off at pilots discretion.Steve

Guest Karl R Pettersen

I forgot to make a print of this before I headed home from work the other day, but decided to have a go on it anyway. I was able to enhance my compass rose (graphics) with textual numbers that rotates around the rose, but keeping horizontal at all times. Looked pretty neat. A better look at http://www.sandel.com/ for illustration.I was forced to use FormattedText with a pivot though.Speaking of FormattedText, has anyone found any logics to what is supported with the special character stuff, as found in the GPS. Such as kt or NM written in small character above oneanother in the same string etc?

Hi,I used the "gpsrose" also, but i decided to change because of the poor refresh rate of the gps.Karl, how did you manage to keep the text horizontal?(example pl.);(btw. in the mfd i've seen text rotates)I try to avoid formattedtext as much as possible, don't know why.Jan"Procul Negotiis"http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/65524.jpg

Guest Karl R Pettersen

I've attached the element as an xml-file, it's not a complete gauge. Hope it works ok for you. The avionics check is temporary :)

Guest Skymed

hey GuysTrying to use this stuff in my Helicopter HUD as part of a VOR/HSI, so I need really clear, high vis compass text and a complete rose in vector format.Do you guys have any completed vector roses/examples with rotating text I could look at?Steve

The code for the rose:0(A:Plane heading degrees gyro, radians) pi 6 / 0 * - /-/3(A:Plane heading degrees gyro, radians) pi 6 / 1 * - /-/6(A:Plane heading degrees gyro, radians) pi 6 / 2 * - /-/9(A:Plane heading degrees gyro, radians) pi 6 / 3 * - /-/12(A:Plane heading degrees gyro, radians) pi 6 / 4 * - /-/15(A:Plane heading degrees gyro, radians) pi 6 / 5 * - /-/18(A:Plane heading degrees gyro, radians) pi 6 / 6 * - /-/21(A:Plane heading degrees gyro, radians) pi 6 / 7 * - /-/24(A:Plane heading degrees gyro, radians) pi 6 / 8 * - /-/27(A:Plane heading degrees gyro, radians) pi 6 / 9 * - /-/30(A:Plane heading degrees gyro, radians) pi 6 / 10 * - /-/33(A:Plane heading degrees gyro, radians) pi 6 / 11 * - /-/For the ARC on the out- and inside "Circle's" and for the pointers still a bitmap, of course using the "clip" command, rest is "vector".Same for the ROSE, without a "Circle".With a lot of work it could be possible to make the pointers as "Polyline", but the code would be enormous (72 line's!).See very bad pic (i use very small gauges) Hope it helps,Jan"Procul Negotiis"http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/67200.jpg

Guest Skymed

JanThanks a million.Steve

Guest Karl R Pettersen

Seem to recognize the graphics there Bill ;) If you have the time and skill, maybe you should consider the real Sandel, not this wannabe. There exist one already, but that is payware, and not sure if it works with FS9 - never tried it.There are also many many bugs in the old version, i.e. in "unslaved mode" (highly fake, but still) ADF needle is no corrected for drift, but the textual actually is... Should be the other way around. Also, in the real thing, centered deviation bars are not available in arc mode. I see the ILS reception is also "faked", by crossover on the glideslope even though ILS is determined over pure localizer. Not sure if may will understand that concept :) Probably buggy as well, not sure?I have fixed a lot of stuff in the xml version, maybe you want it for further investigations?

>Seem to recognize the graphics there Bill ;) If you have the>time and skill, maybe you should consider the real Sandel, not>this wannabe. There exist one already, but that is payware,>and not sure if it works with FS9 - never tried it.Some of the graphics (such as the bezel) were 'borrowed' from your XML version until my graphics artist gets off his well-deserved laurels (Bob Hayes created the Citation X from Eaglesoft), and creates some new one's for me. This will be going into the Citation II SP/2 that's currently under development.The rose and arc are vectors, as is the text. I have the Sandel 3308 manual and am striving to implement as many of the real features as possible, following Ike Slack's excellent documentation has also been helpful. Ike has "gone to work" for RXP as a programmer, but is apparently still working on the FS9 version of his Sandel SN3308.I am planning to implement the navaid and flight track data as well, but will probably not implement the A-B memory, as the gauge is already approaching 2.2 MB in size! :) However, since I've finally got a handle on file I/O in C, I may well add that in, since I can read/write and swap data from disk now, and won't have to hold the info in a memory array."Auto Slew" is also being implemented... slowly!All the "course pointers" are functional in both Rose and Arc modes, except the GPS, which I've only showing while in GPS mode. I may go back and add that to the BRG select menu as well though, in keeping with the authentic Sandel SN3308's operational capability.>I have fixed a lot of stuff in the xml version, maybe you want>it for further investigations?I'm always open for inspiration! Sure, send it along. BTW, the earlier XML version won't work in FS9, as I'm sure you are aware, since the old "XML-Sound" tricks no longer work.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/67379.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/67380.jpg

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator