Sign in to follow this  
Guest iholrf

Panel order, how do I do it?

Guest Dasher7

hi folksI have a Saab Safari panel almost ready for free delivery but one thing is driving me nuts: Panel windows getting stuck behind the main panel. One second everything is fine, then all of a sudden the various panel are hidden. I have noticed that going from the main to the VFR panel seems to provoke the event, but it doesn't seem to be consistent. Sometimes the panels work just just fine even after switching to VFR view.Can anyone tell me how to fix this, or have I overlooked something?Thanks in advance,Halfdan

Here's the best way I've found to handle this situation:Make [Window00] a "blank view," meaning use it ONLY to display the "outside view."[Window Titles]Window00=Main ControlWindow01=Main PanelWindow02=Main Zoom//--------------------------------------------------------[Window00]Background_color=0,0,0 size_mm=1280,960window_size_ratio=1.000 position=7visible=1ident=0window_size= 1.000, 1.000window_pos= 0.000, 0.000Then, define your "main panel" in [Window01] and make visible=1 so it will show on initial panel load://--------------------------------------------------------[Window01]file=Main_Panel.bmp file_1024=Main_Panel.bmp size_mm=1280,960window_size_ratio=1.000 position=0visible=1ident=1window_size= 1.000, 1.000window_pos= 0.000, 0.000gauge00=blah, blah...Make [Window02] your "zoomed panel"://--------------------------------------------------------[Window02]file=Zoom_Mainpanel.bmp file_1024=Zoom_Mainpanel.bmp size_mm=1280,960window_size_ratio=1.000 position=0visible=0ident=IFR_MAIN_PANELwindow_size= 1.000, 1.000window_pos= 0.000, 0.000Although this example is for a "zoomed panel view," note that the same technique will work for ANY panel view with appropriate modifications. :)gauge00=blah, blah...Note that [Window01] *must* use ident=1 so it will layer properly!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest iholrf

>Here's the best way I've found to handle this situation:>>Make [Window00] a "blank view," meaning use it ONLY to display>the "outside view."This sort of answers another question I had. I am using 4 "main" panels for my ...errrr.. panel (heheh reminds me of Austin Powers- "Allow myself to introduce... myself"). Pilot normal, pilot raised, copilot normal, copilot raised. I have noticed the propensity for windows to go behind other windows as well. What I do (until I find a full fix) is trigger the four main panel swaps as soon as I get into the plane, then all of the normal pop-ups will appear in front of these four "main" views. The problem I have is that in the normal main_panel, there is one eye view angle, but in the other three there is another (in the form of a 10 degree shift of the world down ). Needless to say this is not the desired result, and no amount of fiddleing with the views section in thr panel config seems to fix it; any change I make results in the effect being applied to all panels as well.I will try your fix above Bill, but I suspect another problem I have will crop up (pitch angle on the ground vs in flight at speed).Ah the fun never ends... this is actually the most value I have ever gotten out of a game as it, a year and bit later, still keeps me entertained, even if it is only traking down and killing self imposed bugs heheh.CheersShad

Guest Dasher7

HI!Thanks for your responses, guys, sorry I haven't answered till now.Anyway, I was using the method you mentioned already, Bill, except I had the Main_zoom panel as number 2, not 1. I switched this and now it works! I don't really understand the difference, though...Shad, let us now if you manage to get it to work right!Cheers,Halfdan

I examined this problem when FS2004 was released (ran into the same issue), but I can remember the details exactly anymore.It was something like this;- For FS-defined Window Ident numbers (0 - ??? ):Window priority equals numerical Ident order.- For User-defined ident numbers (like 10000)Window priority is determined by the sequence in which the Windows are first opened after loading the panel.This might explain the seemingly "inconsistant" behaviour.Cheers, Rob Barendregt

>>Here's the best way I've found to handle this situation:>>>>Make [Window00] a "blank view," meaning use it ONLY to>display>>the "outside view.">What I do (until I find a full fix) is trigger the four main>panel swaps as soon as I get into the plane, then all of the>normal pop-ups will appear in front of these four "main">views. The problem I have is that in the normal main_panel,>there is one eye view angle, but in the other three there is>another (in the form of a 10 degree shift of the world down ).Shad, preventing the problem in "view shift" you cite is precisely the reason for using the schema I outlined!Because you are setting the "out the window view" in the Window00 section, the "view shift" will never occur... The "trick" is to have the lower edge of the "out the window view" just below the top edge of the lowest panel you plan to overlay Window00. ;)

Fr. Bill    

Guest iholrf

>>>Here's the best way I've found to handle this situation:>>>>>>Make [Window00] a "blank view," meaning use it ONLY to>>display>>>the "outside view.">>>What I do (until I find a full fix) is trigger the four main>>panel swaps as soon as I get into the plane, then all of the>>normal pop-ups will appear in front of these four "main">>views. The problem I have is that in the normal main_panel,>>there is one eye view angle, but in the other three there is>>another (in the form of a 10 degree shift of the world down>).>>Shad, preventing the problem in "view shift" you cite is>precisely the reason for using the schema I outlined!>>Because you are setting the "out the window view" in the>Window00 section, the "view shift" will never occur... The>"trick" is to have the lower edge of the "out the window view">just below the top edge of the lowest panel you plan to>overlay Window00. ;)Thanks Bill.I almost missed this post. Oh, I cannot tell you how grateful I will be when I try this and see if it fixes things... This problem has been haunting me since I first started. I revisit it every couple of weeks when I learn something new, but always it ends in disappointment.CheersShad

Guest iholrf

Oh yah...oh yah... *drools like Homer over a donut*.That fixed it. Very very pleased I am.Thanks again Bill.CheersShad{EDIT}You know.... I almost miss that problem... it was one of the first to appear and became sort of like a comforting friend... all was well if my view slewed heheh.{FURTHER EDIT}While the view drop problem is gone, upon further testing the "Pop Behind" problem still persists. Perhaps I should take a look at the numbering?

>Oh yah...oh yah... *drools like Homer over a donut*.>>That fixed it. Very very pleased I am.>>Thanks again Bill.>While the view drop problem is gone, upon further testing the>"Pop Behind" problem still persists. Perhaps I should take a>look at the numbering?As long as you have the "default window" defined as Window00, the main panel as Window01, and the landing panel (or whatever) as Window02, the other windows should always popup OVER either Window00 + Window01, or Window00 + Window02...

Fr. Bill    

Guest iholrf

>As long as you have the "default window" defined as Window00,>the main panel as Window01, and the landing panel (or>whatever) as Window02, the other windows should always popup>OVER either Window00 + Window01, or Window00 + Window02...Yep. That may do it. I was hoping to avoid having the four main views being numbered early on as it pushes the other functions further up the keyboard number row. My fear is this might result in a lot of people pushing *ctrl 3* expecting the gps and getting one of the other "Main Views" layed over the current view.Here is how it is layed out:[Window Titles]Window00=Transparent Panel (fwd view) - ident=0Window01=Captain's Panel (fwd view) - ident=1Window02=Radio Stack Panel - ident=RADIO_STACK_PANELWindow03=GPS Popup - ident=GPS_PANELWindow04=Throttle Popup - ident=THROTTLE_PANELWindow05=Shadin Zoom - ident=530Window06=Captain's Lower Panel (fwd view) - ident=244Window07=First Officer's Panel (fwd view)- ident=242Window08=First Officer's Lower Panel (fwd view)- ident=243This puts the other views high in the number list, but the pop-behind problem then rears its ugly head. Is there anyway to control for this while still keeping the order more ergonomic? Ideally, I would like the main views to not be triggerable from the keyboard at all, only from the toggle buttons.Thanks again for all your help.CheersShad