Sign in to follow this  
Guest Alexander_EFG

Which is better, Fs Design Studion or Gmax

Guest pubairplanes

Hello all, I wanted to start modeling aircraft. I currently have copies of both FS Design Studio and Gmax. I was just wondering which program I should devote my time to learn.Thanks.pubairplanes

Hello Pub, I'm sure you are going to get a lot of responses to this question as people tend to be quite opinionated when it comes to these 2 programs :) I'm not familiar with fsds but from what I have learned from reading other posts it is apparently more "user friendly" as it was created primarily for aircraft modeling in flightsim. In gmax you will find it has a sort of arcane round-a-bout way of getting things accomplished sometimes. Gmax does give some features that arent available in the current version of fsds though, such as the ability to add XML code, some of which others have freely posted, to an XML file. This will allow you to basically name an associated part in gmax and assign an animation to it, or almost anything else for that matter. I vote for gmax, #1 because it's free, I've finally learned how to use (some of it) :) and it just seems to offer more cool options than fsds. Either program though in the right hands is capable of producing an outstanding aircraft!Darrell

Guest odog

gmaxIm very happy with the addition of XML into the MDL.. it's the cats pj's

If you are serious about aircraft design--GMAX for its features and also since FSDS 2 development is pretty much frozen.I've seen some pretty nice FSDS 2 work, however. Bill Lyon's Challenger II is one great example which is almost as sophisticated and full of bells and whistles as any GMAX project I've seen. And FSDS 2 is what I use. But I use it in part because by virtue of it's simplicity, it's pretty fast to create something that looks like an aircraft. My first project--a Microlight here in the file library, was hammered out in a couple of hours. I wouldn't have been able to do that in GMAX.-John

I've only ever used Gmax: because it's free!That said, it's not the most user friendly application and takes some effort to learn. On the other hand I suspect it's the future so the effort could be well worth while.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/109268.jpg

Guest Alexander_EFG

Well, I use something completly different nowadays. I started with FSDS v.1 and continued with v.2 because at that time the step towards learning GMAX seemed too big. I was used to the interface of FSDS and had my own way of modelling. One day something happened I feared it would happen: I was modelling the nose of the DC-2 and there was just no way for me to get the noselights done correctly and neatly. That's when I decided that I should give GMAX a try. It took some time to learn how to use GMAX to it's extents, but once you start to model everything will fall into it's place.The reason why I write this down is to emphasise that FSDS v.2 has quite some limitations modelling wise. Altough it's not visible at a first glance, once you get to know GMAX a little better you will notice the limitations of FSDS.Other than this, GMAX has a better integration with FS and the addition of XML for cutsom, pre-conditioned animations is a blast. I certainly would go for GMAX despite the larger learning curve.

Guest Snowfighter3

I say FSDS version 2.24Theres a couple of reasons. Simplicity is the first reason. The program is uber userfriendly and there are an abundance of no-nonsense tutorials out there on how to use it.Another reason I use is it because it is ONLY for FS. Which means there isn't alot of useless steps and diluted stuff to sift through to accomplish what I want.Someone said that they preferred Gmax because it was free.You get what you pay for. And for the money, FSDS will cut down the amount of FREE time you lose getting your plane in the air.THanksFOO

Guest iholrf

Whatever gets the job done.... nothing else matters.Here is a twisted path for you. I would use FSDS if I had it because I hear it is easier to learn. However, I cannot justify purchasing it until I satisfy myself that I will actually use it by completing a project. To do that I am learning GMAX, which, once the project is finished, will likely make fsds unnecessary, lol.Shad

Guest Lionel Goh

gmax.If you look to the future, if you know gmax, you can pick up other programs much easier due to the modelling method which is pretty much the same as its bigger brother, 3ds max.