Sign in to follow this  
Guest dko60202

"JAGGIES" BETWEEN PANEL AND BACKGROUND

I'm using Photoshop and seem to be chasing my tail in trying to eliminate the jagged black lines between the panel and the background (all black - 0,0,0), which seems to arise from the blending pixels at the edge of the panel.I've done a search with no real success. Has anyone found a techniche to overcome this?

Guest dko60202

You are not alone.First, understand that 'transparency' in FS guages is binary; on or off. I never apply transparency (black: 0,0,0,) until AFTER indexing (color-reducing) the image. One technique: In Photoshop, use about 50% gray for your background layer, NOT black. Flatten your layers; this will antialias the edges of your 'floating' layer with a proportion of the background layer color. Index the image (I use 'force black/white' in Photoshop to ensure I have a 0,0,0 index). Use the color-select tool (with zero tolerance) to select the background area (this will select only the non-antialiased pixels), and fill this with the black index. Save your .BMP. You should get better results.Douglas

A typical trick is to draw the instrument (sans face for easier placment later) on the panel itself, then place only the face in the gauge. Obviously, this trick works best with black rimmed gauges. *grin*

Guest dko60202

>A typical trick is to draw the instrument (sans face for>easier placment later) on the panel itself, then place only>the face in the gauge. Obviously, this trick works best with>black rimmed gauges. *grin*That's what drop shadows are for. Actually, doesn't have to be black, as long as you flatten your gauge face against a background similar in color to your panel.Douglas